Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCinopsilo
I'm back
Loc: Somewhere in the middle o...
Terrarium, terranium?
    #2061314 - 10/31/03 07:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Whats up, alright....I know I'm just setting myself up to be bombarded with comments about how I need to read the faqs, and my post is in the wrong forum, but if it is (mod whoever you are) would you please just move it to the correct forum in your opinion as a pose to locking it up, thanks.
Alright, on with the question. I've read many teks and faqs, and posts about growing mushrooms, but lets say I have a freind of a friend right, & he wants to make the typical substrate of Verm, and brown rice flour, (basiclly just the plain old easy PF tek) and he lets the substrate fill with mycellium after inoculation, blah, blah, alright, and then we get to where the jars will be dumped upside down, on the lid, and placed in a terrarium (terranium), this is where I get a little confused on the terrarium idea....I've always thought that the 2 main factors in the terrarium is keeping it airtight, and having it retain humidity, which to me, means that It would have to have sides and most likely a terrarium lid, but I looked for terrariums in The Gallery portion of The Shroomery, and I probably saw less enclosed-type aquarium looking terrariums, & so I was surprised to see a majority of mushrooms fruiting, in open type containers. For example, I saw mushrooms in The Gallery growing out of little containers with no lid, some even coffee cups, and tupperware containers with the lid off, almost like little garden tray type things, & I did'nt notice any sort of top that was containing the mushrooms in a space, I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.
How can these terrariums I'm seeing mushrooms fruit quite well in be doing so with no enclosure to be airtight much less retain humidity?
Is this some kind of advanced tek for growing mushrooms I have'nt read about or what am I not understanding here?

--------------------
"Did you see what GOD just did to us maaaaan?" -Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
"As your attorney, I advise you to get a very fast car, & you'll need the cocaine too." -
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLetto
Load Universeinto Cannon. Aimat Brain. Fire.
Re: Terrarium, terranium? *DELETED* [Re: Cinopsilo]
    #2061379 - 10/31/03 07:57 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by Letto

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineCinopsilo
I'm back
Loc: Somewhere in the middle o...
Re: Terrarium, terranium? [Re: Letto]
    #2061403 - 10/31/03 08:11 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, I would post them, but everytime I try and post a pic, it tells me to upload it on the shroomery server so i click upload, and it says, "image is corrupt, try another". It gives me this message every single time I try and post a pic, somebody told me I might have to bump my browser up to the most current version, which i'm guessing means bump my aol 7.0 up to what is it now 9.0?
Anyway, If nobody posts advice telling me how to post a picture, all I know is there is plenty of examples of the open-lid terrarium pictures in the first 17 pages of The Gallery here on The Shroomery, I asked somebody else in a different forum, and they told me that the person taking the picture each time just took the lid off to take a picture, could be, it just seems odd that there is so much less pics with the full view of the terrarium, meaning the lid is in sight.
One picture I shit you not looked like it was a damn coffee cup that the mush was fruiting out of, and just to name a few of the many I saw in The Gallery the other one that stands out in my mind is a small tupperware container with foil lined on the bottom and you can clearly see the mushrooms growing out of it, from some kind of substrate, I forgot what It was now, but the description for the specific pic I'm talking about said that it was lined with foil on the bottom to prevent Primordia, or something to that affect.

--------------------
"Did you see what GOD just did to us maaaaan?" -Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
"As your attorney, I advise you to get a very fast car, & you'll need the cocaine too." -
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

Re: Terrarium, terranium? [Re: Cinopsilo]
    #2061836 - 11/01/03 12:04 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

MMerletto is right... Don't read too much into the pictures you view, the lids are removed so better pitures of cake/casings can be taken.

Try not to get confused here. Grow chambers are rather an easy aspect of growing mushrooms to master. Just keep it simple. 1/2 - 1 inch layer of wet perlite on the bottom for humidity. Yes, you should keep it covered to maintain humidity but it's not a sin to take your lid off. In fact you should take the lid off a few times daily to fan out the excess CO2.

There have been times in the past, when I used to grow, that I accidently forgot to replace the lid after I picked some mushrooms or was rehydrating the perlite, etc. I just replace the lid and the let the shrooms get back to growing... no harm done. Just not a habbit you should repeat. The biggests risk of leaving the the lid off for a prolonged period of time is that you may unintentionally introduce contams... and you could end up dry out your cakes.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation