Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
overkill???
    #2061146 - 10/31/03 06:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i used 3 tablespoons of honey with 600mL water, same ratio with some karo too. which makes the percentage of honey/karo to water higher than 4%. my question is will it still work or is it absolutely neccessary to have the ratios perfect for spores to germinate or mycelium innocculant to colonize?

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: overkill??? [Re: fungusflip]
    #2061244 - 10/31/03 06:46 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I wouldn't think that would put so much osmotic stress on the fungus as to kill it, but the problem is with that much carbon (sugars are very high in carbons -- the honey will have some nitrogen in the proteins, but a lot of these will denature during sterilization, anyway, and fold up, become insoluble in water and precipitate out) waste products will accumulate really quickly, and the fungus will die at that point.

I'm sure you'll get some growth, but it may stop early. If you do get a sufficient amount of mycelium I'd use it pretty soon....

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
Re: overkill??? [Re: micro]
    #2061530 - 10/31/03 09:05 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

micro said:
Well, I wouldn't think that would put so much osmotic stress on the fungus as to kill it, but the problem is with that much carbon (sugars are very high in carbons -- the honey will have some nitrogen in the proteins, but a lot of these will denature during sterilization, anyway, and fold up, become insoluble in water and precipitate out) waste products will accumulate really quickly, and the fungus will die at that point.

I'm sure you'll get some growth, but it may stop early. If you do get a sufficient amount of mycelium I'd use it pretty soon....
thanx for the info micro. i'm glad there are people here who know their shit. peace
--
Micro

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation