Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male
Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers
    #20605237 - 09/23/14 09:01 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Wolverine, Ghost Rider, the Incredible Hulk — all of these characters have at least one awesome trait in common: the ability to heal themselves. And now, the Pentagon wants to give ordinary people this superhuman capability.

A new military-sponsored program aims to develop a tiny device that can be implanted in the body, where it will use electrical impulses to monitor the body's organs, healing these crucial parts when they become infected or injured.

Known as Electrical Prescriptions, or ElectRx, the program could reduce dependence on pharmaceutical drugs and offer a new way to treat illnesses, according to the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the branch of the U.S. Department of Defense responsible for developing the program. [5 Crazy Technologies That Are Revolutionizing Biotech]

"The technology DARPA plans to develop through the ElectRx program could fundamentally change the manner in which doctors diagnose, monitor and treat injury and illness," Doug Weber, program manager for DARPA's biological technologies office, said in a statement.

The implant that DARPA hopes to develop is something akin to a tiny, intelligent pacemaker, Weber said. The device would be implanted into the body, where it would continually assess a person's condition and provide any necessary stimulus to the nerves to help maintain healthy organ function, he added.

The idea for the technology is based on a biological process known as neuromodulation, in which the peripheral nervous system (the nerves that connect every other part of the body to the brain and spinal cord) monitors the status of internal organs and regulate the body's responses to infection and disease. When a person is sick or injured, this natural process can sometimes be thrown off, according to DARPA. Instead of making a person feel better, neuromodulation can actually exacerbate a condition, causing pain, inflammation and a weakened immune system.

But with the help of an electrically charged implant, DARPA says it can keep neuromodulation under control. Electric impulses from the device will stimulate the nerve patterns that help the body heal itself and keep the out-of-whack nerve stimulus patterns that cause a sick person even greater harm from doing damage.

DARPA hopes to develop a device so tinythat it can be implanted using only a needle. Such a small implant would be a huge improvement over similar neuromodulation devices already in use today, most of which are about the size of a deck of cards and require invasive surgery to implant, according to DARPA.

And the miniature size of the device has another advantage: It can be placed exactly where it is needed at nerve endings. An implant as small as a nerve fiber could minimize the side effects caused by implants whose electric impulses aren't sent directly into nerve channels, DARPA officials said.

The device could help treat a host of painful, inflammatory conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis, systemic inflammatory response syndrome (a condition that causes inflammation throughout the body) and inflammatory bowel disease. And if the ElectRx program is a success, it could also lead to the development of implants that help treat brain and mental-health disorders, such as epilepsy, traumatic brain injury, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and depression, according to DARPA.

also the video:

http://www.livescience.com/12647-painkiller-implanted.html

the future is fun

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Salomon] * 3
    #20605247 - 09/23/14 09:04 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

No way in hell am I going to let the pentagon put robots inside me. :tinfoil:

--------------------

OfflineRhizohunter
myco-nerd
Male

Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Salomon] * 1
    #20605250 - 09/23/14 09:05 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Fuck that shit

OfflineRanOutOfWeed
Sleepy
 User Gallery

Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Gilgamesh18] * 1
    #20605293 - 09/23/14 09:26 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Gilgamesh18 said:

:super:

--------------------

OfflineDilsnique
Admiral Admirable
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherworld
Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: RanOutOfWeed] * 1
    #20605316 - 09/23/14 09:38 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

What could go wrong?

OfflineMescalean
Burke is love, burke is life.

Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Dilsnique]
    #20605344 - 09/23/14 09:50 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I already heal extremely fast. It's been a day since I sliced my thumb right open, Little piggy would not close up and I did not want stitches.

It completly closed and looks like it'll be gone in another couple of days. My moms got the same "issue" too, bruises, cuts, and even broken bones heal much faster than any dr we go to says. My gene pool is a mess so all it makes me wonder is where this comes from. We do have native. My great great grandmother alos lived to 107 and she was 3/4 navajo.

fuck your robots man

--------------------
FREE BURKE

InvisibleSalomon
Male
Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Mescalean] * 1
    #20605350 - 09/23/14 09:54 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

lol i bet you guys wouldn't accept a pace maker if your heart was giving out either.:facepalm:

--------------------

OfflineRhizohunter
myco-nerd
Male

Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Salomon] * 2
    #20605351 - 09/23/14 09:54 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Nope

OfflineRanOutOfWeed
Sleepy
 User Gallery

Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Mescalean]
    #20605353 - 09/23/14 09:55 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Humans will achieve immortality in the next 100 years or so if we don't blow each other up

All we have to do is find a way to make cells regenerate and not age, or only age to a certain point

Rapid healing would also come along with that.

just give it some time

--------------------

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Salomon]
    #20605394 - 09/23/14 10:11 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Salomon said:
lol i bet you guys wouldn't accept a pace maker if your heart was giving out either.:facepalm:

Actually no I wouldn't I am 100 percent natural baby and proud of it!

--------------------

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Gilgamesh18] * 2
    #20605406 - 09/23/14 10:16 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Pacemakers can really influence your quality of life. There's no point in extending your life if the outcome isn't worth it. Eventually people will live for a very long time, but it will only be to make you a work horse forever and cut down on education costs. It will be like that one Stallone movie, Demolition Man?, where everyone needs a permit to have a kid. Society would be fucked if no one respected death. I predict a very depressing and restricted population. Imagine doing the same job forever. or even working.. forever. fucking lame. Like life isn't demanding enough, painful enough. 100 years of laughter and heartbreak is enough for anyone. Besides, any religious person who does this, I'm going to call a fucktard to their face.

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #20605413 - 09/23/14 10:18 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

XLCaps said:
Pacemakers can really influence your quality of life. There's no point in extending your life if the outcome isn't worth it. Eventually people will live for a very long time, but it will only be to make you a work horse forever and cut down on education costs. It will be like that one Stallone movie, Demolition Man?, where everyone needs a permit to have a kid. Society would be fucked if no one respected death. I predict a very depressing and restricted population. Imagine doing the same job forever. or even working.. forever. fucking lame. Like life isn't demanding enough, painful enough. 100 years of laughter and heartbreak is enough for anyone. Besides, any religious person who does this, I'm going to call a fucktard to their face.

:kaneclap:

--------------------

InvisibleSheekle
FREE BURKE
 User Gallery

Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #20605414 - 09/23/14 10:19 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

on one hand this is cool but on the other hand maybe people wouldnt be able to do drugs anymore which would be uncool

--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

Invisiblemoonrockmushy
High on Spite
 User Gallery

Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Sheekle]
    #20605421 - 09/23/14 10:21 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Fuck that nanodrugs will be the shit.  Get you high off your ass and make you healthy.

InvisibleSalomon
Male
Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #20605452 - 09/23/14 10:30 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Gilgamesh18 said:

and for the record, you should be more concerned about the government putting robots inside you WITHOUT your consent.

its as easy as funneling a few hundred trillion nano bots into the end product of a water treatment plant. easily accomplished with high clearance approval by higher levels of the federal government. just like how you're drinking flouride in most places.

sure you're probably filtering your water with a britta or somthing, but all it would take is a sip from one unfiltered tap, and boom.... you've got nanobots swimming around your blood system. at the push of a button, they release poison and you die. think about that if you really wanna put on your tinfoil hat..

--------------------

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

#20605459 - 09/23/14 10:31 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Salomon said:
Quote:

Gilgamesh18 said:

and for the record, you should be more concerned about the government putting robots inside you WITHOUT your consent.

its as easy as funneling a few hundred trillion nano bots into the end product of a water treatment plant. easily accomplished with high clearance approval by higher levels of the federal government. just like how you're drinking flouride in most places.

sure you're probably filtering your water with a britta or somthing, but all it would take is a sip from one unfiltered tap, and boom.... you've got nanobots swimming around your blood system. at the push of a button, they release poison and you die. think about that if you really wanna put on your tinfoil hat..

Hey if they want me dead bring it on. Death is a part of life fuck life extension and fuck nanobots.

--------------------

InvisiblePeace of Mind 1
Incel Basement Dweller
Male User Gallery

Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Salomon] * 1
    #20605473 - 09/23/14 10:34 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Large implants on women give me super boner powers.

InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: RanOutOfWeed]
    #20605524 - 09/23/14 10:46 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RanOutOfWeed said:
Humans will achieve immortality in the next 100 years or so if we don't blow each other up

All we have to do is find a way to make cells regenerate and not age, or only age to a certain point

just give it some time

I'd imagine we'd all still get alzheimers and organ failure regardless of how advanced our cell regeneration techniques are in 100 years. While we can vastly extend our average life expectancies, I don't think immortality (or even a life longer than 200 years really) is a possibility whatsoever in the foreseeable future.

InvisibleSalomon
Male
Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: PatrickKn]
    #20605577 - 09/23/14 10:59 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

PatrickKn said:
Quote:

RanOutOfWeed said:

just give it some time

I'd imagine we'd all still get alzheimers and organ failure regardless of how advanced our cell regeneration techniques are in 100 years. While we can vastly extend our average life expectancies, I don't think immortality (or even a life longer than 200 years really) is a possibility whatsoever in the foreseeable future.

err well.... actually.... immortality is easier than you'd think. just doing the genetic/ dna manipulation is very difficult and expensive.

it occurs in nature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_dohrnii

all you need to do is manipulate your dna cycle to keep you aging in cycles, going from a youth to an adult to a youth to an adult. in the same mannerism, you can manipulate out genetic disorders and the like. this is straight up eugenics. in the realms of what monsanto does with plants, really.

there's teams of scientists whom have been working on this for the past few years now. for all we know, they've had success and kept it from public eyes.

but for those whom arent in the elite circles, devices such as the one in my op, are a step in the right direction. they're not an answer, they're a stepping stone.

--------------------

OfflineRhizohunter
myco-nerd
Male

#20605582 - 09/23/14 11:01 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

My friend once convinced me I couldn't die when we were tripping on shrooms and DXM.

I had never wanted to die more in my entire life at that moment.

Fuck immortality

InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

#20605601 - 09/23/14 11:07 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I've heard of that jellyfish. The thing with that jellyfish is that it regenerates a new body that is similar to it's younger stage of metamorphosis, that has the exact same DNA and sheds it's old body. It doesn't have a brain like we do, nor does it have memories like we do. No central nervous system at all. It's immortality is similar to plant cloning if anything.

We can do that exact same thing today through human cloning, however it's a long shot to call us immortal as a result of it. I think it'd be nearly impossible to keep the brain functioning through cell regeneration techniques indefinitely. While the studies into the genetics of aging have wide reaching effects on increasing our quality of life and extending us past our age barriers, immortality - the ability to live forever, just isn't a quality we have in our specific biological state. In my understanding at least.

Edited by PatrickKn (09/23/14 11:08 AM)

InvisibleSalomon
Male
Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Rhizohunter]
    #20605611 - 09/23/14 11:10 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Rhizohunter said:
My friend once convinced me I couldn't die when we were tripping on shrooms and DXM.

I had never wanted to die more in my entire life at that moment.

Fuck immortality

well heres a good question for those of you with that mind set of immortality= bad:

do you think that people should not have the right to choose to be immortal?

lets say that if you became an immortal, you would be forced to be sterilized or something, as to not contribute to over population.

nobody is ever going to force you to be immortal, but should people NOT be allowed to be immortal?

this goes both ways. as a global community, we're becoming more accepting of the right to choose death for yourself. assisted suicide is legal in a few states in america, as well as in switzerland (probably more places im unaware of).

so if you have the right to die, why shouldnt you have the right to live forever?

thats really what confuses me about the negativity on these topics. just because other people are doing these things, and you dont want these things to happen to you, it seems like you dont want it to be able to happen for anybody.

this post isnt directed at one person, its an open ended discussion really.

--------------------

OfflineRhizohunter
myco-nerd
Male

#20605614 - 09/23/14 11:11 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I never knew assisted suicide was legal, thanks man. Gotta google this shit...

InvisibleSalomon
Male
    #20605623 - 09/23/14 11:15 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

PatrickKn said:
I've heard of that jellyfish. The thing with that jellyfish is that it regenerates a new body that is similar to it's younger stage of metamorphosis, that has the exact same DNA and sheds it's old body. It doesn't have a brain like we do, nor does it have memories like we do. No central nervous system at all. It's immortality is similar to plant cloning if anything.

We can do that exact same thing today through human cloning, however it's a long shot to call us immortal as a result of it. I think it'd be nearly impossible to keep the brain functioning through cell regeneration techniques indefinitely. While the studies into the genetics of aging have wide reaching effects on increasing our quality of life and extending us past our age barriers, immortality - the ability to live forever, just isn't a quality we have in our specific biological state. In my understanding at least.

theres a project that went into effect earlier this year, similar to the mapping of the human genome, now we're trying to map the human brain.

there will come a time when memories, personalities, experiences and everything that makes up "you" can be stored in a binary file and uploaded into a new clone of yourself or a robot  or whatever.  so if you lived for 1000 years, you could periodically remove memories and experiences and store them for later use, to keep you brain less cluttered.

--------------------

InvisibleSalomon
Male
Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: Rhizohunter]
    #20605637 - 09/23/14 11:18 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Rhizohunter said:
I never knew assisted suicide was legal, thanks man. Gotta google this shit...

you have to be really fucking old, or have some kind of terminal illness, but yes. you can go to a facility in certian places and have people help you die

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_suicide

theres a good documentary on this, somewhere on youtube. it focuses on he swiss assisted suicide, and shows the process.

but um

yea

--------------------

OfflineRhizohunter
myco-nerd
Male

#20605644 - 09/23/14 11:21 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I checked it out already

OfflineMescalean

#20605652 - 09/23/14 11:22 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

But would it still be the same you, the same consciousness in that new brain with the uploaded memories

--------------------
FREE BURKE

InvisibleSalomon
Male
    #20605676 - 09/23/14 11:28 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mescalean said:
But would it still be the same you, the same consciousness in that new brain with the uploaded memories

you are a product of your environment (experiences) and a product of your genes.

so yes, it would be you down to a sub atomic level.

all you need to do is make an exact copy of all the synapses and structure of the brain that are "you" and reproduce it, organically or synthetically.

so, there could be 2 identical "you"s in the same place at the same time.

besides, "you" are constantly being destroyed and rebuilt by the food you eat and water you drink. the "you" that exists right now, is made of entirely different materials than the you that existed 7 years ago.

are you still the same you?

--------------------

InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

#20605680 - 09/23/14 11:29 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

In terms of getting closer to immortality, I think this is a much more realistic approach than through purely biological applications to be honest. I DO personally believe that computers can form true intelligence above and beyond what humans are capable of given that a computer (or group of computers) is powerful enough to emulate the number of neuronal connections of the human mind.

However, I don't believe that it will be possible to record existing human neuron paths and memories to those computers exactly. The programming involved in creating a human brain identical to a living persons  would be so complicated, that we'd really have to let the emulated brains develop on their own circumstances I'd think. I'm not saying that it is impossible to map the brain, that much has been proven at least theoretically. I just don't personally know if it would be possible to emulate the exact functions of every neuron chain in the same way that a human would use them. While they are based on electricity in our biological state, there is so much more to it.

How would a computer react to glucose for example? We'd have to program every single receptor for every single chemical. By that point you're not merely programming a working brain, you are programming an emulation for physical reality itself, with all atoms in play, the applications would be enormous. You'd literally be creating very powerful alternate realities at this point. Neural networks don't cut it if we are trying to emulate the human experience in it's entirety, if even for cybernetic applications.

In my mind, before you'd even reach a point where you could properly emulate human intelligence, you would already have something far smarter than humans in it's place. While the neural networks resembling a human brain wouldn't properly emulate the human experience we are currently used to as animals, you could create something with a far more powerful brain even easier than the human brain itself. You'd be able to give it far more powerful senses, telepathy through the internet. Etc. Humanity would be replaced well before even achieving a proper emulation of itself I imagine.

Edited by PatrickKn (09/23/14 11:31 AM)

InvisibleSalomon
Male
    #20605728 - 09/23/14 11:43 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

ah this is banking on what you define as "human" now. and i agree with you. you'd need to replicate things down to such a level that you're basically reinventing the brain itself to make a copy of the previous.

the processing power needed is realistically achievable with quantum computation, which is already a level up from binary and human brain function.

the next step in human evolution is one of information.

so really, this whole process begs the question of defining humanity. if being human is just as what we're referring to as simply a sequence of genes, chromosomes, and dna.

viva la example:

then "humans" are slowly becoming extinct right now.

--------------------

OfflineMescalean

#20605864 - 09/23/14 12:16 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Yes but would i still  be seeing from this exact perspective that i am right now? this subject fascinates me as does augmentation of the human body and mind, but this is just a mind fuck. like what defines and individual as them. something would have to be different

--------------------
FREE BURKE

OfflineRorge
Scoundrel
Male User Gallery

#20605919 - 09/23/14 12:30 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

So they're finally going out public with it?

How about the ones that make you weaker? Gonna be plenty of them, advertised otherwise of course.

InvisibleSalomon
Male
    #20605942 - 09/23/14 12:38 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mescalean said:
Yes but would i still  be seeing from this exact perspective that i am right now? this subject fascinates me as does augmentation of the human body and mind, but this is just a mind fuck. like what defines and individual as them. something would have to be different

the same perspective, but in a different place in space time. so if you wanted to get to a serious technical level, being in a different place in space time (even if it's 2 identical clones standing 12 inches from one another), makes you have a different perspective subjectively, because of the properties of light, and that the atoms surrounding each of the individual clones are different. so um..... feel special about that i guess...

--------------------

OfflineHalluciNate
Trippage! / Loving
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ALL THAT IS
    #20605993 - 09/23/14 12:52 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Don't let nosey government labcoats chip you!

:nonono:

Ankh it up!

:naughty:

--------------------
We are here to assist, to teach you to evolve as we go through this process together. We give our own version of things only to bring you to a higher consciousness. No matter what situation you find yourself in, it is the power of your thoughts that got you there. It is also the impeccable belief that thought creates that will transform your experience and the planetary existence.

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
Re: Tiny Implants Could Give Humans Self-Healing Superpowers [Re: HalluciNate]
    #20606313 - 09/23/14 01:58 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Where do I sign up for guinea pig

Biochemical or mechanical

FUCKKKYESSSSS

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates