Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinepahiki
Women's Intuition
Female

Loc: Michigan
Re: Cities are safer than rural areas [Re: my3rdeye]
    #20594722 - 09/20/14 09:18 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Take Detroit Michigan for instance. I used to live right on the border of Detroit. That city is shit and everyone knows it. I now live in a more rural area, by no means is it 'the sticks', but I feel 100x safer because it is much less likely I will be shot for no reason. I still have about the same risk as dying in a car accident, but its kind of like 'one less thing to worry about'. Whereas, when I lived right in the city, I had to worry about being shot and getting into a car accident.

Everywhere is different, everywhere with different variables and every person has different risks. I would imagine that is very hard to make reliable statistics of. That's probably why that article didn't have any actual numbers. It was very general and used examples rather than actual comparisons.

--------------------
ΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔΔ

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

Re: Cities are safer than rural areas [Re: Redwood]
    #20594733 - 09/20/14 09:21 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redwood said:
I think I'm more likely to die in my city than a rural area because I ride my bicycle around. I see so many ghost bikes around, I wonder what the statistics are for people who primarily use their bicycle for transportation here.

I used to bike a lot. Well still do. I've definitely had some really close calls of morons not paying attention. My good friend rolled over an suv on his skateboard and got a concussion. They were pulling out of a burger King drive through just like that Marijuana commercial. He didn't press any charges though which was dumb of him imo. Because they were cute girls. :facepalm:

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

OfflineD.M.T
Shroomery Contaminant
Female

Loc: In your brain
Re: Cities are safer than rural areas [Re: Tantrika]
    #20595032 - 09/20/14 10:25 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SweetLeafSamadhi said:
Quote:

D.M.T said:
Quote:

SweetLeafSamadhi said:u; even if they find you in time it could be 2 hours by ambulance to get to the nearest large hospital.

Somewhere that rural would utilize helicopter air rescue, not ambulance. :themoreyouknow:

This thread actually encouraged me to go searching around a bit.

I found out that Saskatchewan has a long-standing government air rescue program; but it is by plane rather than helicopter.
I do not recall any incidents that involved its use while growing up though.

Helicopter rescue apparently did not show up in Saskatchewan until 2012, several years after I had moved away.  It appears to be handled via separate non-profit organization unlike the government-run planes.

I learned some things today.

Yeah they not usually run by the government, but linked to the bigger hospitals at the nearest major city. I don't think they are typically non-profits. At least in the US you get a big hospital bill that no one ever pays if you have to be transported by helicopter.

I'd be surprised if your area doesn't have more than that, honestly. Maybe Canada's healthcare isn't as good as you guy's claim if that's true. :tongue2:

For my area, there is AirCare that operates out of the Cincinnati hospital. If that helicopter is out then they might be able to get CareFlight from Dayton. If the weather's bad... then you're fucked. But the helicopter is out here all the time for car wrecks and other shit.

That's why I always say people from rural areas are tougher. We have to practice self-reliance for shit like emergencies, and like I was saying in another thread, police are pretty much never called for this reason.

Gangbangers in LA are only tough because they have numbers and weapons, they would have a hard time adapting to rural life.

I've noticed most murders out here in the rural areas tend to be domestic-related, but the ones that aren't almost never seem to get solved. I don't have any statistics for this though.

InvisibleTantrika
Miss Ann Thrope
Female

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Lashed to the pyre
Re: Cities are safer than rural areas [Re: D.M.T]
    #20595440 - 09/21/14 12:31 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

D.M.T said:
Yeah they not usually run by the government, but linked to the bigger hospitals at the nearest major city. I don't think they are typically non-profits. At least in the US you get a big hospital bill that no one ever pays if you have to be transported by helicopter.

I'd be surprised if your area doesn't have more than that, honestly. Maybe Canada's healthcare isn't as good as you guy's claim if that's true. :tongue2:

For my area, there is AirCare that operates out of the Cincinnati hospital. If that helicopter is out then they might be able to get CareFlight from Dayton. If the weather's bad... then you're fucked. But the helicopter is out here all the time for car wrecks and other shit.

That's why I always say people from rural areas are tougher. We have to practice self-reliance for shit like emergencies, and like I was saying in another thread, police are pretty much never called for this reason.

Gangbangers in LA are only tough because they have numbers and weapons, they would have a hard time adapting to rural life.

I've noticed most murders out here in the rural areas tend to be domestic-related, but the ones that aren't almost never seem to get solved. I don't have any statistics for this though.

What I had found were Air Ambulance (the provincial government-run planes):
http://www.health.gov.sk.ca/air-ambulance

In terms of cost they mention:
Quote:

Service fees

The cost for air ambulance service is $350 per flight. The patient/family is also responsible for ground ambulance costs to and from the airport.

As with road ambulance service, lower-income residents (those receiving Saskatchewan Assistance Plan benefits and nominated by Community Resources and Employment for supplementary health benefits) have the entire cost of an air ambulance trip covered by Saskatchewan Health’s Supplementary Health Benefits program.

The non-profit that runs the helicopters was also listed on the same government site:
http://www.health.gov.sk.ca/stars

The helicopter one does not mention the costs anywhere.
The helicopters also appear to be based out of another province (Alberta) and have extended their service range into parts of Saskatchewan.

Saskatchewan has a population of around 1 million people spread out over an area of almost 230 000 square miles.  The province has two "major" cities (neither reaches even 250 000 population), everything else is small cities, rural areas and lots of farm land.

I don't know if Canada on the whole has particularly high or low quality health care compared to the rest of the world, but when I broke my arm living in Montréal I had several trips to doctors, hospitals, x-rays, painkillers, and dealing with the cast, but never saw a bill for any of it. :shrug:

I totally relate to the comment about self-reliance for emergencies in rural areas though.

InvisibleRedwood

Re: Cities are safer than rural areas [Re: Enjoywho]
    #20595446 - 09/21/14 12:38 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Enjoywho said:
Quote:

Redwood said:
I think I'm more likely to die in my city than a rural area because I ride my bicycle around. I see so many ghost bikes around, I wonder what the statistics are for people who primarily use their bicycle for transportation here.

I used to bike a lot. Well still do. I've definitely had some really close calls of morons not paying attention. My good friend rolled over an suv on his skateboard and got a concussion. They were pulling out of a burger King drive through just like that Marijuana commercial. He didn't press any charges though which was dumb of him imo. Because they were cute girls. :facepalm:

Hell, some of those people know what they are doing! I had a cop almost hit me a few days ago. I was in front of him when the light was red. When the light turned green he couldn't wait to pull into the spot on the corner of the next block 25 ft away.  So he just swerves to the right in front of me when I'm pedaling straight (the only way there is to go), he didn't even signal. This is a cop!:facepalm:

Ayaya he should have done it. These arsch hole drivers just don't learn

Invisibledeadwk

Loc: Canada, eh? Flag
Re: Cities are safer than rural areas [Re: Tantrika] * 1
    #20595448 - 09/21/14 12:38 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SweetLeafSamadhi said:
Quote:

It may sound counterintuitive, but researchers found people living in densely populated urban areas in the United States are 20% less likely to die from a serious injury than people who live in rural parts of the country.

Living in the country death by serious injury is a major concern to me, always has been.

:whathesaid:

When I broke my arm, it was a 2.5 hour drive to the nearest hospital. If it was more serious then a broken bone, I could've easily died.

As per OP, I agree Cities are safer, but there are also certain areas of a city which could pose more risk.

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

#20595591 - 09/21/14 01:57 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redwood said:
Quote:

Enjoywho said:
Quote:

Redwood said:

Hell, some of those people know what they are doing! I had a cop almost hit me a few days ago. I was in front of him when the light was red. When the light turned green he couldn't wait to pull into the spot on the corner of the next block 25 ft away.  So he just swerves to the right in front of me when I'm pedaling straight (the only way there is to go), he didn't even signal. This is a cop!:facepalm:

I feel ya man. You have to pay attention but it's the same as driving. People on the roads are fucking morons. I'm always being perceptive even with head phones in. Too many stupid ass people.

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

InvisibleBurke Dennings
baby merchant

Re: Cities are safer than rural areas [Re: Gilgamesh18] * 1
    #20595610 - 09/21/14 02:04 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

50% of related threads by Gilgamesh18.

Invisiblenice1returns
I am the Holy Shit
 User Gallery

Loc: miwuaki Flag
Re: Cities are safer than rural areas [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #20595618 - 09/21/14 02:12 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Ive lived in many small towns and they're all really clicky especially the villages.

All had a few families or people who wanted to run the whole town.  Big monkies I call them and they always use violence and assaulting people - especially newcomers that don't behave how they want.

I'm moving back to the city, its equally violent but there people usuallyt arttack you for a purpose other than being the local cunt.

OfflineFreeTheSoul
The wonderer.

#20595843 - 09/21/14 05:31 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redwood said:
Quote:

Enjoywho said:
Quote:

Redwood said:

I had someone go over a double yellow line around a curve on a hill and almost hit me headon because he couldn't wait for a safe time to pass the biker..... People fucking suck at driving and have no patience.

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: Cities are safer than rural areas [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #20595846 - 09/21/14 05:33 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

XLCaps said:
Quote:

zZZz said:
If ur talking about la pretty much everywhere can be dangerous, but the city is considered the most dangerous because it's kinda like the jungle where there aren't really any rules, as oppose to the rural areas where everyone kinda knows each other and the injury is kept to a minimum..

Also you're more likely to get run over in the city, shot, or gang beat. Small town you're more likely to get in to an off-roading accident, shoot yourself, or get in to a fair 1on1 fight. It's all in what you're observing. In the city you have a higher chance of getting shot or mistreated by a cop, but oddly there's usually not any cougars or bears.

What are you talking about? There LOTS of cougars and bears in the city!

--------------------

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

Re: Cities are safer than rural areas [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #20595924 - 09/21/14 06:14 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I don't mean 35 year old women looking for dick.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag