Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Contracts Went to Big (Bush) Donors
    #2057974 - 10/30/03 04:51 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/10/30/iraq/main580998.shtml

(CBS/AP) Companies awarded $8 billion in contracts to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan have been major campaign donors to President Bush, and their executives have had important political and military connections, according to a study released Thursday.

The study of more than 70 U.S. companies and individual contractors turned up more than $500,000 in donations to the president's 2000 campaign, more than they gave collectively to any other politician over the past dozen years.

The report was released by the Center for Public Integrity, a Washington-based research organization that produces investigative articles on special interests and ethics in government. Its staff includes journalists and researchers.

The Center concluded that most of the 10 largest contracts went to companies that employed former high-ranking government officials, or executives with close ties to members of Congress and even the agencies awarding their contracts.

Major contracts for Iraq and Afghanistan were awarded by the Bush administration without competitive bids, because agencies said competition would have taken too much time to meet urgent needs in both countries.

"No single agency supervised the contracting process for the government," Center executive director Charles Lewis said. "This situation alone shows how susceptible the contracting system is to waste, fraud and cronyism."

J. Edward Fox, an assistant administrator at the U.S. Agency for International Development, took issue with Lewis' statement and aspects of the report.

"It would?be incorrect to suggest that there is no overall oversight of this process," he wrote the Center. "The USAID inspector general's review of all Iraq contracts which was requested by USAID Administrator Andrew S. Natsios on April 14th has shown that all Iraq contracts to date have been done in compliance" with federal regulations.

The top contract recipient was the Halliburton subsidiary KBR, with more than $2.3 billion awarded to support the U.S. military and restore Iraq's oil industry.

Halliburton was headed by Vice President Dick Cheney before he resigned to run with Mr. Bush in 2000.

According to The Washington Post, while Cheney was defense secretary the Pentagon chose Halliburton subsidiary Brown & Root to study the cost effectiveness of outsourcing some military operations to private contractors. Based on the results of the study, the Pentagon hired Brown & Root to implement an outsourcing plan. Cheney became Halliburton CEO in 1995.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced this week that Halliburton's contract to fix Iraq's oil infrastructure, worth $1.59 billion so far, will be extended until December or January while the government receives and evaluates revised bids for replacement work that could total $2 billion.

Halliburton's top executive, Dave Lesar, said Wednesday he was offended by criticism of the company's Iraq work but believed it was "less about Halliburton and more about external political issues."

"As a company uniquely qualified to take on this difficult assignment, we will continue to bring all of our global resources to bear at this critical time in the Middle East. We have served the military for over 50 years and have no intention of backing down at this point," he said.

Bechtel was second with a $1 billion capital construction contract involving Iraq's utilities, telecommunications, railroads, ports, schools, health care facilities, bridges, roads and airports.

The company's Internet site says, "We do engage in the political process, as do most companies in the United States. We have legitimate policy interests and positions on matters before Congress, and we express them in many ways, including support for elected officials who support those positions.

"We do not expect or receive political favors or government contracts as a result of those contributions."

The Center's analysis of contractor political donations showed:

=The top 10 contractors contributed $11 million to national political parties, candidates and political action committees since 1990.

=Fourteen of the companies won contracts in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Those companies, combined, have given more than $23 million in political contributions since 1990.

=Most contractors, their political action committees and their employees have contributed just under $49 million to national political campaigns and parties since that year.

=In the same time period, contractor donations to Republican Party committees outpaced contributions to the Democrats, $12.7 million to $7.1 million.

The Center's findings are based, in part, on 73 Freedom of Information Act requests and an analysis of a federal contractor database.

?MMIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Contracts Went to Big (Bush) Donors [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #2057981 - 10/30/03 04:53 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe we could have the Clinton development team sell some land around there? Like they did in Arkansas... anyoen remember that?

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: Contracts Went to Big (Bush) Donors [Re: lysergic]
    #2058022 - 10/30/03 05:04 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, that is the best you could do?

Bash Clinton to redeem this fucked up administration?

--------------------

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #2058046 - 10/30/03 05:11 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

No, I'm just stating the obvious, but much forgotten fact, that our last president was obviously involved in shady dealing(S!)and liberal's still loved him, but they get a slight suspicion about Bush, and hes the Anti-Christ

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#2058110 - 10/30/03 05:27 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

A SLIGHT suspicion?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You really should work on those reading comprehension skills we discussed in the other thread. No shit. I think you got left behind.

--------------------

Offlinestart25
    #2058138 - 10/30/03 05:38 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, thanks for posting that psilo. The list of evil deeds grows larger and larger. I hate Clinton just as much as I hate Bush and I don?t want his legacy to go unremembered, but Clinton is out now. Why do people let their party blind them to the truth? THINK FOR YOURSELF! Just some other things I can't believe have passed public scrutiny:

1. Deregulated the energy industry (one of the first things Bush did when he got into office, just like he worked for in Texas- leading to the energy shortages).
2. Undermined the EPA and Clean Air Act Standards (order direct from Bush).
3. Direct Executive order from George Bush- orders that all classified military information remain classified indefinitely. The reason that it was about to be unclassified: government workers from area 51 suffering from radiation poisoning and dieing wanted access to information for their law suits. They never got the information.
4. Rushed the Patriot Act through congress without congress even being able to read it, in other words, used the public emotion of 911 to slide through a law that takes more rights away from them. This is a hideous law. It?s not about library records as the media would have you believe. Under the enemy combatant clause, the Patriot Act gives the government the right to arrest someone without a formal charge, without access to a lawyer, without a trial date, and without informing the public.
5. Our ?republican? president supports the renewal of assault weapons ban- whatever he can do to take a right away.
6. Works to expand the power and influence of NATO. At first I thought maybe this guy really is trying to make a difference when he undermined the UN, but I knew there was something coming around the corner to help align the NWO his father loved so much.
7. About to bleed the country dry with possibly the worst budget ever passed- mark my words- he is trying to bankrupt the country and lead us towards a cashless society.
8. Gives 12 billion dollars to Africa for Aids- who does that 12 billion go to- the pharmaceutical companies of course.
9. Invades two countries by manipulating the masses with a tragedy the CIA and FBI allowed to proceed. Incidentally, the war with Afghanistan was brewing for the entire year before 911, pretty coincidental.
10. Lies to America about WMD and Saddam Hussein, not that I ever believed his lies anyway, but everyone else did. This is all to advance the PNAC strategy of creating United States domination; this will be a major step in coming to a one world government.

I know I?ve missed some lies and atrocities, feel free to add to this list.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2058164 - 10/30/03 05:48 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

funny, the whitewater scheme was a fraction
of the size of the money changing hands in
the boardrooms and oval offices of this
administration.

nevermind the fact that it occured over 20 years
ago, long before the man was in office.

furthermore, ken star spent years looking into
that shit and came up with a couple mistrials,
a couple of obscure convictions for contempt
and absolutely NO evidence that clinton was
involved in any wrongdoing.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #2058173 - 10/30/03 05:49 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PsiloKitten said:
A SLIGHT suspicion?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You really should work on those reading comprehension skills we discussed in the other thread.  No shit.  I think you got left behind. 

how about you do me a favor, read the "no flame" rule, then comprehend that for me?
:smile:

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2058198 - 10/30/03 05:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

are you telling others not to flame?!

:grin:

that's laughable!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinestart25
    #2058208 - 10/30/03 05:59 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

hey you should have just taken the easy road and mentioned pardons.

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Contracts Went to Big (Bush) Donors [Re: start25]
    #2058244 - 10/30/03 06:10 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

OOoh... the bought pardons, that would have worked well :smile:

As for me "teling people not to flame", I certaintly didn't "tell"it not to.

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

OfflineMisterKite
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montreal, QC
    #2058610 - 10/30/03 08:15 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Don't use a double negative.

Lysergic, why do you never admit to your views being so incredibly and painstakingly wrong, corrupt, and egregious?

--------------------
"But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy."

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2058652 - 10/30/03 08:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Most of the people on this board who are against Bush are not for Clinton.

They are both career politicians who care more about wealth and power than human beings.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1
Re: Contracts Went to Big (Bush) Donors [Re: Learyfan]
    #2058723 - 10/30/03 08:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Most of the people on this board who are against Bush are not  for Clinton.

They are both career politicians who care more about wealth and power than human beings.

Nicely put, LF! :laugh:

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#2058934 - 10/30/03 09:42 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not flaming.

I honestly am worried about you. I want you to make sure to get the education you deserve. Maybe that would clear some of this up and stop your use of words like "sand nigger" and saying that people are uncivilized.

I'm serious.

--------------------

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #2059024 - 10/30/03 10:15 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If people like you believe that I am "uneducated", then I am exactly where i'd like to be.

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #2059057 - 10/30/03 10:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Most anti-Bush ignorance is based on supposed ties / aforeknowlege of 9/11, or on the obvious fact that *gasp* American companies are making money in Iraq. I don't see any proof (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=proof) that Bush had any aforeknowledge of 9/11. I also think it is entirely right and proper that large companies from America are used to rebuild Iraq. The US paid for the war (in money and blood) so why shouldn't we reap some benefit into our post-9/11 economy? I think that the nature of the beast in Iraq(them having oil) and the fact that our president was involved in the oil business, makes it so that any company we send in there will have some ties to the president.

What alternative options would be recommended, having a Saudi company go into Iraq and have more funding going to their theocratic, wahabbist dictatorship?

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#2059094 - 10/30/03 10:29 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Heh, you love talking about the Wahabbist dictators.

Good for you!

baaah... baaaaaaaahhhhhh

--------------------

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #2059173 - 10/30/03 10:51 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

[flame removed voluntarily]

brilliant discussion technique. You must do quite well in your public speaking. Do tell us when you'll be doing that, so we can watch you make an ass out of yourself. Heaven forbid you actually pick out a point I made and argue the validity of it. It's people like you that I wish worked in NYC on 9/11, especially since "we deserved it".

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Edited by lysergic (10/30/03 10:53 PM)

OfflineSquattingMarmot
Inquiring Mind
    #2059491 - 10/31/03 12:40 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

lysergic said:
It's people like you that I wish worked in NYC on 9/11, especially since "we deserved it".

I thought you were taking your ignorance and hate out of here and back to your KKK boards. We don't want you here when you spout such inane bullshit. Leave and never come back.

--------------------
"In the United States anybody can be president. Thats the problem."

"The gray-haired douche bag, Barbara Bush, has a slogan: "Encourage your child to read every day." What she should be is encouraging children to question what they read every day."

- George Carlin

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies