Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestreetracer924
Stranger
What magic mushies would i find in NY this time of year?
    #2057137 - 10/30/03 02:56 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

really want to get started but i dont know what to look for really, i see alot of little brown mushrooms all around but what should i be lookin for? i live in the NY area, and its November (just rained too)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: What magic mushies would i find in NY this time of year? [Re: streetracer924]
    #2057155 - 10/30/03 03:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

in upstate NY you should be able to find some liberty caps... do some research on them to find out good places to look

as far as Long Island i am sort of in transition of moving from there to here in seattle and i never found anything active whatsoever (must be the sand and dry climate).

look up a mycological society in you're area and they might have a complete listing of what grows. if they left out actives, just do some research on their climates.

good luck and let us know if you find anything!

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Re: What magic mushies would i find in NY this time of year? [Re: streetracer924]
    #2057158 - 10/30/03 03:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

in upstate NY you should be able to find some liberty caps... do some research on them to find out good places to look

as far as Long Island i am sort of in transition of moving from there to here in seattle and i never found anything active whatsoever (must be the sand and dry climate).

look up a mycological society in you're area and they might have a complete listing of what grows. if they left out actives, just do some research on their climates.

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#2057160 - 10/30/03 03:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#2057161 - 10/30/03 03:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#2057162 - 10/30/03 03:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#2057163 - 10/30/03 03:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#2057164 - 10/30/03 03:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: What magic mushies would i find in NY this time of year? [Re: Psilygirl]
    #2057169 - 10/30/03 03:04 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

woah, septuple post

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Re: What magic mushies would i find in NY this time of year? [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2057172 - 10/30/03 03:05 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yeah my computer just spazzed.... i think i set a record though!!! haha

--------------------

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
    #2057201 - 10/30/03 03:12 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

RTFF

READ THE FUCKING FAQ

Offlineagm4688
Reeses Pieces
Re: What magic mushies would i find in NY this time of year? [Re: Rebirtha]
    #2057222 - 10/30/03 03:18 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

why don't you go wash your hair evan....just kidding  :shocked:

i'm from long island, and i have three different species of fungi growin' in my backyard alone!  i don't know if their active! and a tree in my backyard just got caught down and they chopped it up and its just lying there ....think anything could happen? 

Offlinestreetracer924
Stranger
Re: What magic mushies would i find in NY this time of year? [Re: agm4688]
    #2057265 - 10/30/03 03:31 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

earlyer today i went to a few bike trails down the road and picked a few little brown mushrooms, im waiting for the spore print but heres what they look like

1-2.5 cm brown caps, turning light brown from the center out with age, and is easly broken (when picking)

gills are close together, and curve up into where the stem meets the cap, they are basicly the same color as the cap, maybe darker on a few.

stem is off white, stringy and splits into many strands when broken

spore print so far is lookin purpleish brown to grayish brown

they where found on moss covered grownd next to a decomposing log, some of them found where the log meets the grownd

can anyone id this for me?

Edited by streetracer924 (10/30/03 03:33 PM)

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Re: What magic mushies would i find in NY this time of year? [Re: agm4688]
    #2057321 - 10/30/03 03:45 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.limyco.org/LISpecies03.pdf

check it.

just do some research before you start posting...

I never hunted all that much because I never really found a whole lot. But thats not saying they're not there. Look up where the species you're looking for grows, its habitat, etc... then go for it. let me know how it goes

I would get on it soon, too because I would imagine it would be too cold on LI during the winter for anything to be growing.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2057473 - 10/30/03 04:24 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

There are sometimes Gyums in Central Park. Gary Lincoff and Steven Pollock picked them ther eint he 1980s and Sara anne Freidman wrote about them in Centrral Park in her book on shrooms called Celebraiting rhe Wild Mushroom. The whole p book is shroom awater colors and done in caligraphy instead of fonts.

mj hard to find book.

And libs have been found by Redbone in upper state New York. I have a paper somewhere. maybe I will see if I can find it later on.

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: What magic mushies would i find in NY this time of year? [Re: Rebirtha]
    #2058001 - 10/30/03 06:58 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Like Evan said. Read the FAQ. While you're at it, read the rules and you'll know why I locked your post.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification