Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: Desired features in dehydrator? [Re: azur]
    #20583890 - 09/18/14 02:05 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

gee, i thought freezer drying was common knowledge here.  well: here's how it works, you harvest your shrooms.  if they are fatter than about a quarter inch, then you split the stems down end to end.  you sorta cut them a little and then tear them the rest of the way. they are at this point all washed and ready as though you will eat them.  i use a dinner plate,(s).  the shrooms are placed so that until they freeze, that they won't stick together.

at this point, yes, if you take them out of the freezer and thaw them, then all you will have is a plate full of blue mush.  no, you leave them frozen at all times until they are dry.  didn't i mention the reason for this in my post?

okay,  once they are frozen, you can pile them up on top of one another, but the point here is how does freezer drying work?  there is a fan in every frost free freezer that delivers very cold, but very dry air into the freezer.  warmer air then goes into the fridge and back again.  in this trip, moisture is picked up directly from the surface of the mushroom from a solid to a gas.  google sublimation.

edit, it is best to place the mushrooms where the stream of air is blowing, this is usually near the ice maker of most fridge-freezer combos.

edit, on a production scale, one need only ramp up the size of the freezer and mushroom stacks.  it may be necessary to add fans on the shelves. small computer-fans hung from the racks work.

Edited by tchyted (09/20/14 12:19 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSanguin3
Optimist

Re: Desired features in dehydrator? *DELETED* [Re: Sanguin3]
    #20584094 - 09/18/14 02:56 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by Sanguin3

Reason for deletion: .

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Desired features in dehydrator? [Re: Sanguin3]
    #20584815 - 09/18/14 05:33 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

you can't freeze dry in a regular freezer. freeze drying requires a special setup or everyone would freeze dry things for fun in their freezer. Don't listen to this troll. Things will slightly dry in a freezer. Ice cubes slowly sublimate in a freezer extremely slowly.

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Desired features in dehydrator? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #20585230 - 09/18/14 07:09 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

The major flaw in your theory here is that although this is true, and it's only completely true at cold temperatures I might add:
Quote:

the reaction uses water as an intermediate, so it comes to a a standstill once the mushrooms are dry.

This is not:
Quote:

at temps below freezing, the water intermediate in the reaction is once again eliminated, because it is trapped in frozen crystals.

It's kind of funny that you would even suggest such a thing when in the same argument you actually mention that frozen water can spontaneously sublime.

--------------------

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: Desired features in dehydrator? [Re: Kizzle]
    #20591112 - 09/20/14 12:03 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

well, the original posters question was about what is the best dehydrator.  i gave an answer that allows him to avoid buying an unnecessary piece of equipment, based on my personal experience.  all the sudden, i am attacked by a whorde of flamers who clearly haven't even put what i suggest to the test.  what gives?

at this point, it has degraded into a pissing contest that i refuse to participate in any longer, it's off topic.

Invisibleazur
God of Fuck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Daid
Re: Desired features in dehydrator? [Re: tchyted]
    #20591124 - 09/20/14 12:07 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tchyted said:
well, the original posters question was about what is the best dehydrator.  i gave an answer that allows him to avoid buying an unnecessary piece of equipment, based on my personal experience.  all the sudden, i am attacked by a whorde of flamers who clearly haven't even put what i suggest to the test.  what gives?

at this point, it has degraded into a pissing contest that i refuse to participate in any longer, it's off topic.

I didn't flame you. I also don't have a frost free freezer. I read an article saying you can dry them in any freezer if you put them in a paper bag. I tried. They turned dark blue and shriveled up

--------------------

A cube is NOT a cube.

FALL IN LOVE WITH LC
FOTTSE!!!
ALL NOOBS READ THIS!!!

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Desired features in dehydrator? [Re: azur]
    #20591138 - 09/20/14 12:11 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

the only time you should use a freezer to dry is if you already fanned dried them first, you can use the cold air to draw the remaining moisture out, and i don't see anybody flaming here unless i missed it

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Desired features in dehydrator? [Re: cronicr]
    #20591571 - 09/20/14 03:31 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

No one has ever suggested drying in the freezer before. Was just trying to develop an opinion and ask you some questions about it while I still had the opportunity. I know "It's kind of funny that you would even suggest such a thing when in the same argument you actually mention that frozen water can spontaneously sublime." isn't worded as a question but I thought you might have some kind of explanation.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract