Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Grateful Dead, Phish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Grateful Dead fans...help me out.
    #2056271 - 10/30/03 05:29 AM (14 years, 25 days ago)

Hi....Im not a fan or anything but I've heard alot of these grateful Dead guys. Its not really my kinda music but I have been exploring other genres lately and I basically just want to know what they are all about. First off is their music specifically good or are they popular because they put on a really good show and the lights-staging is part of the "grateful dead experience"? I have downloaded a few tracks from Kazaa and to me there music does not sound that great. Im thinking the ones I downloaded are just filler tracks for one of their albums. Can somebody tell me what some of their trademark tracks are so I can get an idea of how they are so popular?
Phish also falls in this category.
Thanks, Orizon

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepeacinanarchy

Re: Grateful Dead fans...help me out. [Re: orizon]
    #2065555 - 11/02/03 06:05 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

The Grateful Dead is such a hugh band and experiance i wouldnt even know where to begin. They are not just a groupe you can sum up in a brief desricption or by naming off a few songs. To understand their popularity you would have to be around the people they effect and understand the vibe they give off. I thought i knew who the grateful dead were and what they were about but with each new song i hear, their meaning and my deep emotion for them just increases. You can't expect to understand their popularity from just a few songs but if you want to explore i would suggest... broke down palace, cosmic charley, and uncle johns band. I would also look into live versions of...Jack Straw, I Know You Rider, and Me and My Unlce...Of course this is only a few and there are MANY other great ones. The Grateful Dead have two sounds studio/live. Their live performances practicaly invented jam band music and gave birth to modern day jam bands such as phish, SCI, and wide spread panic. If i could offer you any advice it would be to not limit your thinking by assumptions and dont make any judgements about their music until you have completely devoured album after album...

Edited by peacinanarchy (11/02/03 06:07 PM)

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Re: Grateful Dead fans...help me out. [Re: peacinanarchy]
    #2067171 - 11/03/03 04:51 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

I gotcha. I recently discovered their album sales are pretty low compared to the popularity of the group. I just wanted a few songs to introduce me. I look those up.
Thanks

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Grateful Dead fans...help me out. [Re: orizon]
    #2070012 - 11/04/03 12:52 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

I agree with the above comment I also would not know where to begin. One thing you should know is it's all about the live music, not a light show or a bunch of guys jumping around on stage, it's the music. Their recorded material although good is nothing like the jams you see at a show. Try the album Live Dead, or some of the Dicks Picks which are live recordings.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Grateful Dead fans...help me out. [Re: Ripple]
    #2071035 - 11/04/03 09:55 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

In my opinion the only way to apperciate the dead are through their live bootlegs, period. I could never get into them until I heard their concert bootlegs.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Grateful Dead, Phish

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media