Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Family's Home Seized by Police After Son's $40 Drug Bust * 1
    #20524727 - 09/05/14 05:15 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Family's Home Seized by Police After Son's $40 Drug Bust
cushac
Andy Cush
Andy Cush
Filed to: Civil Forfeiture

Family's Home Seized by Police After Son's $40 Drug Bust

Earlier this year, Yianni Sourovelis, 22, was arrested for possessing $40 worth of heroin, his first criminal offense. Several weeks later, police and representatives of the district attorney's office showed up at Sourovelis' parents' house in the Philadelphia suburbs and told them they were being evicted.

According to Markella Sourovelis, Yianni's mother, the officers who arrived began screwing doors shut, shutting off electricity, and telling the family their home would be gutted after it was seized by the state. The elder Sourovelises had committed no crimes, but were victims of Pennsylvania's civil forfeiture law, which allowed the city district attorney to take custody of the home just because it believed it was being used to sell drugs, without a trial or other proof of wrongdoing. It is worth repeating, perhaps, that this was Yianni's first offense.

CNN has the full story, which—surprise!—involves Philly law enforcement making a ton of money:

... [rest on link]

http://drugs.gawker.com/familys-home-seized-by-police-after-sons-40-drug-bust-1631073602

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejoeystl99
ConstantExplorer
Male

Re: Family's Home Seized by Police After Son's $40 Drug Bust [Re: Simplepowa] * 1
    #20524729 - 09/05/14 05:15 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Another example of how fucked things are

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
Re: Family's Home Seized by Police After Son's $40 Drug Bust [Re: joeystl99]
    #20525024 - 09/05/14 06:32 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Ummmm...this story is a bit incomplete.  If you read the entire original story, the parents are back in the house, and are participants in a class action lawsuit against the City of Philadelphia.

Asset forfeiture laws suck BIG TIME.  Completely Draconian and wholly out of proportion to the alleged offense.

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

Offlinethirtygoats
Male
Re: Family's Home Seized by Police After Son's $40 Drug Bust [Re: Simplepowa] * 2
    #20525302 - 09/05/14 08:20 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

It's a shame that there are people who think a punishment like this is ok and say stupid shit like "serves them right"... :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

Re: Family's Home Seized by Police After Son's $40 Drug Bust [Re: thirtygoats] * 2
    #20525617 - 09/05/14 09:55 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Goats, Rivas's location is "Troll Station, Antarctica"
In other words, just another loser trying to get a rise out of people because he has such a sorry life he has nothing better to do to boost his ego.

Invisiblerefried

Re: Family's Home Seized by Police After Son's $40 Drug Bust [Re: StygianKnight]
    #20526053 - 09/05/14 11:47 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Had my brand new truck seized when I was 19 for 1/4oz coke and a scale.  Shit was terrible.

InvisibleP-O
#AnyoneButHarper
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Family's Home Seized by Police After Son's $40 Drug Bust [Re: refried]
    #20527252 - 09/06/14 09:20 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

refried said:
Had my brand new truck seized when I was 19 for 1/4oz coke and a scale.  Shit was terrible.

were your parents pissed?

Invisiblerefried

Re: Family's Home Seized by Police After Son's $40 Drug Bust [Re: P-O]
    #20527652 - 09/06/14 11:11 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah but it was my truck. They were more concerned w me being in jail spent almost a year in jail.

Invisiblenice1returns
I am the Holy Shit
 User Gallery

Loc: miwuaki Flag
Re: Family's Home Seized by Police After Son's $40 Drug Bust [Re: Simplepowa] * 1
    #20531901 - 09/07/14 08:03 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Absurdly corrupt henchmen of the tyrannical elitist financial based government hypocritically rob innocent family after small amount of common analogue of hospital pain medicine found on son.

A more accurate news title.

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
Re: Family's Home Seized by Police After Son's $40 Drug Bust [Re: nice1returns]
    #20531952 - 09/07/14 08:37 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

:lolsy:

Well said, mate!

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

Offlineamungus
Scag Baron
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Family's Home Seized by Police After Son's $40 Drug Bust [Re: Simplepowa]
    #20537772 - 09/08/14 03:12 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

This is beyond disgusting ...
I was about to post this atrocity.These people should be ashamed of themselves.
Damn drug war is nothing but a cluster fuck that causes more problems then it serves.
And that douche that was posting about how this is fair,someone should kick him.
Sorry but this really pisses me off that people are OK with the DA doing this kind of shit.

--------------------
:penis::penis:
"Seems so sick to the hypocrite norm Running their boring drills But we are an elite race of our own The stoners, junkies, and freaks" - Layne Staley

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Scales

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service