Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

‘Acid Test’: The case for using psychedelics to treat PTSD, depression
    #20534710 - 09/07/14 08:10 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

‘Acid Test’: The case for using psychedelics to treat PTSD, depression

By Tom Shroder September 4

Roland Griffiths, a professor at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, studies the effects of psychoactive drugs on the mind in his lab, which is set up to look like a living room. (Andre Chung/For The Washington Post)

This article is excerpted from Tom Shroder’s “Acid Test: LSD, Ecstasy and the Power to Heal,” which comes out Sept. 9. The book focuses on researchers’ attempts to determine whether psychedelic drugs administered with talk therapy can help people with post-traumatic stress disorder and other psychiatric ailments. Such studies flourished in the 1950s when more than 25,000 doses of psychedelic drugs were administered to thousands of patients and the accepted assessment held that the drugs would be “of utmost value in psychotherapy.”

Rampant recreational drug abuse in the ’60s provoked government restrictions on research, but a small group of scientists persisted in the belief that psychedelic drugs were too potentially valuable to be discarded. In the past decade, a number of clinical trials have won approval at major research institutions, including Johns Hopkins.

These studies have shown promising results using MDMA, psilocybin and other psychedelics in controlled clinical settings under close medical supervision, even as abuse of drugs sold on the street as psychedelics continues to claim victims.

Roland Griffiths, a slender man with a thatch of white hair and piercing eyes, got his PhD in psychopharmacology in 1972 from the University of Minnesota, then went to Johns Hopkins’ Behavioral Biology unit, where he specialized in determining the relative abuse potential of drugs.

Griffiths became a recognized expert in his field, was happy and successful in his work. In his personal life, he discovered meditation, and that changed him in a fundamental way.

“I had remarkable experiences that were unlike anything else I had had. … And all of a sudden, for lack of a better descriptor, it opened a spiritual window in the world for me,” he said.

At some point, a light went on in Griffiths’ mind and he realized his personal and professional concerns could converge seamlessly: He researched psychoactive drugs. A certain class of psychoactive drugs was reputed to induce just the kind of experiences he’d been so affected by in meditation. Psychedelic drugs.

“I grew up in a scientific culture that had just ruled out doing research with these compounds,” Griffiths says. “But as I just contemplated more deeply and really thought where my interests lay, I thought, ‘Well, why not?’ ”

... [rest of the article by following the link]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/acid-test-the-case-for-using-psychedelics-to-treat-ptsd-depression/2014/09/04/03c3c222-0e01-11e4-8c9a-923ecc0c7d23_story.html

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLSDreams
Contemplative Stoner
Male

Loc: Stuck in 3rd Dimension
Re: ‘Acid Test’: The case for using psychedelics to treat PTSD, depression [Re: Simplepowa]
    #20536045 - 09/08/14 01:15 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Good to hear.

--------------------

Plants of Interest ~ Lemon Balm, Cannabis, Ayahuasca, Datura, Salvia divinorum, Tabernanthe iboga, Opium poppy, Kratom, Khat, Coca, Ipomoea tricolor, Psilocybin mushrooms, Peyote ~ :peace: 

Invisible404
error
 User Gallery

Re: ‘Acid Test’: The case for using psychedelics to treat PTSD, depression [Re: LSDreams]
    #20536474 - 09/08/14 04:27 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

"These studies have shown promising results using MDMA, psilocybin and other psychedelics in controlled clinical settings under close medical supervision, even as abuse of drugs sold on the street as psychedelics continues to claim victims."

so dramatic though. like any ingestion outside of controlled clinical settings is considered abuse or something.

--------------------

InvisibleSheekle
FREE BURKE
 User Gallery

Re: ‘Acid Test’: The case for using psychedelics to treat PTSD, depression [Re: 404]
    #20537030 - 09/08/14 11:39 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

A+ 10/10 :thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service