Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Malt Extract, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Contam or ok?
    #2053395 - 10/29/03 12:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

A friend of mine has 2 possible contam issues.

In all of his dried malt extract jars there are white flakes and white powdery looking chunks floating in the brown liquid. Is this normal? It is in all of the jars which are 3 different strains and done at different times. Some of the chunks are pretty big and look like small furry marbles, but most just look like flakes or debris. He has never done this method before so he does not know what it should look like.

Also he had cake which he birthed, after a few days he decided to case it, put it in a bag, broke it up, and after the verm and casing cooled he went to dump it into the bag. Only thing was he noticed on the chunks that while it was the nice bright white on the outside on some of the chunks the inside was a slight darkish green. It did not smell funny, but is this a contam? Will it be easy to tell if it is once it starts poking through the casing layer? Will cold shocking help kill and contams? My friend has a dorm fridge with no food in it to shock it in if this helps any.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Contam or ok? [Re: MadHatR]
    #2057722 - 10/30/03 05:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

About the malt extract, one thing should be noticed. If you smell any strange odor you shouldn't use it. Just throw it out.
Your description might suit any mycelium growing in such medium. The only way you'll know everything is working is when you try that mycelium.
Next time you do this procedure, add some broken glass in the bottom of the malt extract jar, so when you shake the jar, the mycelium will break up much easier.
Regarding you other questions. If you saw green contamination then there's nothing you can do. Those kind of contaminants usually don't produce any strong odor but they doom your batch anyway. Cold shock is useless in such case.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Malt Extract, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum