Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
OfflineVriska Serket
Mindfang
Female

The Beatles suck * 2
    #20533332 - 09/07/14 12:42 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success: the Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worth of being saved.

In a sense the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little attention to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as one can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for free for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply publicize what the music business wants to make money with.

Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. And rock critics will study more of rock history and realize who invented what and who simply exploited it commercially.

Beatles' "aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll: it replaced syncopated african rhythm with linear western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles.

Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for a good reason. They could not figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). THat phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavours to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the 'Fab Fours'. And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia". Not to mention later and far greater British musicians. Not to mention the American musicians who created what the Beatles later sold to the masses.

The Beatles sold a lot of records not because they were the greatest musicians but simply because their music was easy to sell to the masses: it had no difficult content, it had no technical innovations, it had no creative depth. They wrote a bunch of catchy 3-minute ditties and they were photogenic. If somebody had not invented "beatlemania" in 1963, you would not have wasted five minutes of your time to read a page about such a trivial band.

--------------------
the queen of shitposting

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: The Beatles suck [Re: Vriska Serket]
    #20533341 - 09/07/14 12:45 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I didn't read the post,

you're fucking crazy.

The Beatles are -THE- best band of all time.

They're not my favorite, not by far, but I'll call them the best and most important band any day of the year.

No creative depth?

Have you ever even listened to a Beatles song? Or followed them?

They ARE STILL inspiring people. 50 years later.

--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (09/07/14 12:45 PM)

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
    #20533343 - 09/07/14 12:45 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I used to be 19 as well.

--------------------
!

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

Re: The Beatles suck [Re: jewunit]
    #20533347 - 09/07/14 12:46 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Townsend couldn't suck Ringo's jockstrap.

--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

Re: The Beatles suck [Re: pfxtc]
    #20533349 - 09/07/14 12:46 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

And IDK why Ringo wears a jock strap maybe he goes hard on dem drumz

--------------------

koods said:

Life-long trip report

OfflineVriska Serket
Mindfang
Female

#20533354 - 09/07/14 12:47 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

The Beatles are the musical equivalent of wonderbrrad.

Stale. Wonderbrrad.

--------------------
the queen of shitposting

InvisibleNitrous Monkey
selftitled
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #20533364 - 09/07/14 12:49 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Blasphemy :kingcrankey:

--------------------

OfflineKremrBigSikter
Spränger Språnger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20533365 - 09/07/14 12:50 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

listen to something other than Help.

--------------------
I have pneumonia :pm:

OfflineShining Cosmos
Space Nomad
Male

Loc: PHX
    #20533368 - 09/07/14 12:50 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I agree to an extent. They are quite overrated. I think they were very talented and wrote great music. Lennon wrote great songs and lyrics. Harrison was an amazing guitarist. I agree in the sense that they got world famous for being easy to sell. I would never put them above csny, Floyd, zep, rush

Members of the Beatles didn't even think ringo was that good, they never used any of his songs

--------------------
MY ART

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
    #20533370 - 09/07/14 12:51 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Vriska Serket said:
The Beatles are the musical equivalent of wonderbrrad.

Stale. Wonderbrrad.

Let me guess:  you listen to people cussing while drum machines and programmed synthesizers play and believe it to be music. :smirk:

--------------------
:smug: [/url][/url] 
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

InvisibleBurke Dennings
baby merchant

Re: The Beatles suck [Re: pfxtc] * 1
    #20533372 - 09/07/14 12:52 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

pfxtc said:

Disagree.  Ringo was definitely the least important member of the Beatles.

I remember reading that Lennon was asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, to which he replied, "He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles."  Apparently McCartney commonly did drums in studio sessions.

Offlinelowbrow
Paddy Time!!!!
Male

#20533375 - 09/07/14 12:53 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

What is this hipster psychobabble?

--------------------
Amanita86 said:
Sui is trying to mod right now.  Kinda like a newborn calf tryin ta stand fer the first time ain’t it..

OfflineShining Cosmos
Space Nomad
Male

Re: The Beatles suck [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #20533379 - 09/07/14 12:53 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Burke Dennings said:
Quote:

pfxtc said:

I remember reading that Lennon was asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, to which he replied, "He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles."  Apparently McCartney commonly did drums in studio sessions.

This.

Has anyone listened to his solo stuff?

It's nothing significant

--------------------
MY ART

OfflineKremrBigSikter
Spränger Språnger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Beatles suck [Re: Shining Cosmos]
    #20533386 - 09/07/14 12:55 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

His paintings, on the other hand, are excellent.

--------------------

InvisiblePeace of Mind 1
Incel Basement Dweller
Male User Gallery

#20533392 - 09/07/14 12:55 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Music isn't about technical musicianship.

First off, they wrote great songs, so there is your foundation.

Second, they had George Martin. It's hard for someone who wasn't around in 1966 to fathom how amazing Revolver sounded.

The production of those albums was unbelievable, nobody and I mean NOBODY at that time was doing what they did in the studio.

Listen to Magical Mystery Tour, 1967, the PRODUCTION end, fucking flawless, unbelievable.

Maybe it's because as a musician I go in the studio, my friend does production and I've experienced a lot of the "inside the album" stuff, the Beatles were WAYYYYYYYYYYY ahead of their time.

Second, it isn't how complicated what they play is, it's what they CHOSE to play. Nobody would realize without really listening how much of a drumming genius Ringo was. He knew EXACTLY what to play to drive the song, it's subtleties you wouldn't notice straight away, but they dramatically change your opinion and feel for the song.

Paul was a good musician by the way. Once again, simple bass lines, but they were INCREDIBLY melodic, and fit the songs PERFECTLY. Listen to bass lines like Benefit of Mr. Kite. Simple bass lines, but my God are they genius, the fact he CHOSE to play those things is what's amazing.

I can go on and on about this, I've made plenty of Beatles threads, but I can't go over every reason why they were as great as people claim, but God they really were.

OfflineShining Cosmos
Space Nomad
Male

Re: The Beatles suck [Re: KremrBigSikter]
    #20533402 - 09/07/14 12:57 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Really? That's cool.

--------------------
MY ART

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

#20533405 - 09/07/14 12:58 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Burke Dennings said:
Quote:

pfxtc said:

It was a joke, but my point stands. The Who aren't even in the same ballpark as the Beatles :shrug:

They define innovation in my opinion :shrug:

--------------------

koods said:

Life-long trip report

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

#20533407 - 09/07/14 12:58 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KremrBigSikter said:
His paintings, on the other hand, are excellent.

Oh my god they're spectacular

--------------------

koods said:

Life-long trip report

InvisiblePeace of Mind 1
Incel Basement Dweller
Male User Gallery

#20533411 - 09/07/14 12:59 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Pete Townshend was a brilliant song writer too.

Keith Moon was a shit drummer though, My God.

OfflineKing Klick
That Guy Everyone Knows
Male User Gallery

#20533413 - 09/07/14 12:59 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Vriska Serket said:
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success: the Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worth of being saved.

In a sense the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little attention to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as one can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for free for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply publicize what the music business wants to make money with.

Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. And rock critics will study more of rock history and realize who invented what and who simply exploited it commercially.

Beatles' "aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll: it replaced syncopated african rhythm with linear western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles.

Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for a good reason. They could not figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). THat phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavours to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the 'Fab Fours'. And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia". Not to mention later and far greater British musicians. Not to mention the American musicians who created what the Beatles later sold to the masses.

The Beatles sold a lot of records not because they were the greatest musicians but simply because their music was easy to sell to the masses: it had no difficult content, it had no technical innovations, it had no creative depth. They wrote a bunch of catchy 3-minute ditties and they were photogenic. If somebody had not invented "beatlemania" in 1963, you would not have wasted five minutes of your time to read a page about such a trivial band.

:thumbup: The beatles are mediocre

--------------------
Your god is dead, and I killed him.

When you’re lost, here I am. Forever with your soul

InvisibleBurke Dennings
baby merchant

#20533419 - 09/07/14 01:00 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

In terms of influence and impact, there's no doubt about who the bigger band is.  However, musically, I like The Who much, much more.

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

Re: The Beatles suck [Re: Peace of Mind 1]
    #20533421 - 09/07/14 01:00 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

peace of mind 1 said:

I never liked the Who, can't stand them :shrug: That's probably obvious :lol:

--------------------

koods said:

Life-long trip report

OfflineVriska Serket
Mindfang
Female

Re: The Beatles suck [Re: starfire_xes]
    #20533437 - 09/07/14 01:02 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

You are absolutely incorrect

--------------------
the queen of shitposting

InvisiblePeace of Mind 1
Incel Basement Dweller
Male User Gallery

#20533440 - 09/07/14 01:03 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I don't appreciate the Who as far as musicianship goes, John Entwistle was super overrated.

I LOVE The Who though, the early Who.

My favorite albums in order

1. The Who Sell Out - BEST WHO ALBUM EVER
2. Tommy
3. Quadrophenia

Those 3 mainly are all I care for. And of course the REALLY early Who is good too.

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

#20533443 - 09/07/14 01:03 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Burke Dennings said:
In terms of influence and impact, there's no doubt about who the bigger band is.  However, musically, I like The Who much, much more.

I don't like them at all. I barely like the Beatles any more, but they were a favorite awhile ago.

--------------------

koods said:

Life-long trip report

InvisibleBurke Dennings
baby merchant

#20533453 - 09/07/14 01:04 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I've only ever been lukewarm on The Beatles.  My girl loves them so I've listened to them plenty, and they're good, but not my thing really.

The above statement is largely how I feel about all rock music, though. 

Offlinewatermelon mon
Willow Trees

#20533454 - 09/07/14 01:04 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I like The Beatles they made some good music in my opinion

to each his own

--------------------
    :dazedandconfused:

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

#20533471 - 09/07/14 01:07 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Burke Dennings said:
I've only ever been lukewarm on The Beatles.  My girl loves them so I've listened to them plenty, and they're good, but not my thing really.

The above statement is largely how I feel about all rock music, though. 

you like electronic music?

i over listened to the beatles

i can only listen to music with guitars

--------------------

koods said:

Life-long trip report

InvisibleBurke Dennings
baby merchant

#20533499 - 09/07/14 01:12 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, almost exclusively electronic music, but I also like some orchestral stuff.  Enough derailment. 

BEATLE FANS, ATTACK!

OfflineVriska Serket
Mindfang
Female

#20533507 - 09/07/14 01:13 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Listen to animal collective. They're like the Beatles but better every imaginable way

--------------------
the queen of shitposting

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

#20533510 - 09/07/14 01:14 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I would probably think that some of the music that you likes sucks too. It's crazy how different people have different opinions about music.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Re: The Beatles suck [Re: Peace of Mind 1]
    #20533512 - 09/07/14 01:14 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

peace of mind 1 said:

PSHHHHHHHHH

--------------------
!

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

#20533518 - 09/07/14 01:15 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Vriska Serket said:
Listen to animal collective. They're like the Beatles but better every imaginable way

Wow.

Wow.

I don't particularly like the Beatles. But come on. You want to talk about how the Beatles were overrated and then you go and name a SUPREMELY overrated band. AnCo is fucking garbage.

--------------------
!

OfflineShining Cosmos
Space Nomad
Male

Re: The Beatles suck [Re: watermelon mon]
    #20533527 - 09/07/14 01:16 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

In American culture it's almost like it's become unspoken word that the Beatles are the all supreme music gods. I think it's mainly a product of beatlemania. Even kids who don't listen to the Beatles just "know"

It's become engraved into our culture. Unspoken word. When the Beatles popped they were singing about faithful courtship and puppy love and all the normal kids could listen to it as they take they're date to get milk shakes at the diner. That type of demographic could be compared to the people today who watch American idol and all that stupid bs. The Beatles early music was composed for the average listener. Thus the term 'pop' music. The stigma of the Beatles is what mainly keeps them popular. Most people who claim they love the Beatles are probably just fans of the greatest hits.

I still like some of their trippy stuff. I like a few songs from sgt pepper, the white album, and others. I think they were a good band but I think they're popularity was produced by a culturally impotent farce.

OfflineVriska Serket
Mindfang
Female

#20533532 - 09/07/14 01:17 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

You're fucking garbage. Literally. You're sticking your small ass dick in a pile of trash. I bet you've only listened to merriweather post pavilion you fucking berk

--------------------
the queen of shitposting

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

#20533541 - 09/07/14 01:18 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

Yep, only ever heard MPP. I used to dig them. Then I dunno, I started not enjoying them so much and I caught a live show and holy fuck that turned me off completely. Animal Collective fans are so easy to rile up though it's pretty fun.

--------------------
!

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

#20533553 - 09/07/14 01:20 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------
!

OfflineVriska Serket
Mindfang
Female

#20533596 - 09/07/14 01:28 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

What a great video thanks for sharing

--------------------
the queen of shitposting

OfflineKremrBigSikter
Spränger Språnger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20533597 - 09/07/14 01:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Oh man I remember being 20 and trying mushrooms for the first few times and being blown away by Animal Collective. Peacebone and Grass blew me away. Then I developed a wider taste and perspective and suddenly AC felt like so much anxious post-pubertal art-school trip-noise. I wouldn't call them bad, but yeah, don't compare AC to the Beatles.

I saw Panda Bear at a festival a few years back though, enjoyed it, but most of the audience didn't. They left after the first couple of songs. Beach House was way more popular, even though they're doing pretty much the same thing bud wadded up in a lavender pillow.

--------------------

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

#20533603 - 09/07/14 01:30 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Vriska Serket said:
You're fucking garbage. Literally. You're sticking your small ass dick in a pile of trash. I bet you've only listened to merriweather post pavilion you fucking berk

whoAa

--------------------

koods said:

Life-long trip report

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

#20533606 - 09/07/14 01:30 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I'd rather listen to Beach House that's for sure :shrug:

--------------------
!

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

#20533608 - 09/07/14 01:31 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

wtf is animal collective
sounds like shit harry potter listens to

--------------------

koods said:

Life-long trip report

OfflineVriska Serket
Mindfang
Female

#20533620 - 09/07/14 01:34 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Spirit they're gone spirit they've vanished is better than anything the Beatles have done

--------------------
the queen of shitposting

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #20533621 - 09/07/14 01:34 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

This is all you need to know about what I think of the Beatles.  I have hundreds of pieces of vinyl collected over 4 decades.  I have hundreds of CDs collected over more than 20 years.  I have a few remnant cassette tapes.  Not one of them is by the Beatles.  They bore the shit out of me

--------------------

OfflineKremrBigSikter
Spränger Språnger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Beatles suck [Re: zappaisgod]
    #20533627 - 09/07/14 01:36 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
This is all you need to know about what I think of the Beatles.  I have hundreds of pieces of vinyl collected over 4 decades.  I have hundreds of CDs collected over more than 20 years.  I have a few remnant cassette tapes.  Not one of them is by the Beatles.  They bore the shit out of me

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#20533628 - 09/07/14 01:36 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Vriska Serket said:
Spirit they're gone spirit they've vanished is better than anything the Beatles have done

Did somebody say Spirit?

Fucking right it is better than anything any Beatle ever did.

--------------------

OfflineShining Cosmos
Space Nomad
Male

#20533638 - 09/07/14 01:39 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Spirit? Yesss

What about Camel? Soft Machine?

--------------------
MY ART

OfflineKremrBigSikter
Spränger Språnger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20533641 - 09/07/14 01:40 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Soft Machine were pretty good, but the book was better.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#20533649 - 09/07/14 01:41 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Own 'em since the seventies.  Love Camel Mirage and Soft Machine Softs

--------------------

OfflineAzure Essence
Male User Gallery

#20533667 - 09/07/14 01:45 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Vriska Serket said:
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success: the Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest.

This entire first paragraph proves how :sped: you are. The contradictions, oh jesus

InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
Re: The Beatles suck [Re: Azure Essence]
    #20533670 - 09/07/14 01:46 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

This whole thread sucks.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: The Beatles suck [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #20533671 - 09/07/14 01:47 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

The youtube of Spirit I posted doesn't.

--------------------

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

#20533673 - 09/07/14 01:47 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

sgt pepper in mono on vinyl = :Awemazing:

--------------------

koods said:

Life-long trip report

Invisiblecannabinated
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Outside Flag
    #20533889 - 09/07/14 02:47 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

beatles suck:thumbdown:

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #20533950 - 09/07/14 03:04 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Vriska Serket said:

lol, no seriously,...

InvisibleOhMrJohnson
Modern Day Alchemist

Loc: Terra Incognita Flag
Re: The Beatles suck [Re: cannabinated]
    #20533953 - 09/07/14 03:04 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I think they're one of the most overhyped overrated bands in the history of music

That said I do enjoy their tunes

--------------------

Diminish the sub-principle and leave its toxic trace..
Once and for all!

OfflineWebster10
Up like Trump
Male

Loc: Strawberry Fields Flag
    #20533956 - 09/07/14 03:05 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:underage:
Let me guess, you think that dubstep is the best :canthelpbutlaugh:

--------------------
:leaf: :usa:

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Re: The Beatles suck [Re: akira_akuma]
    #20533960 - 09/07/14 03:06 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I like the term "berk". Sounds very rude.

--------------------
!

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#20534002 - 09/07/14 03:19 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Rimes with twerk

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #20534235 - 09/07/14 04:14 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Fun fact:  You may have heard about how Yoko Ono "ruined" the Beatles by showing up at their recording sessions.  What you may not know is the reason she was there was because John Lennon was so jealous and controlling that he wouldn't let her out of his sight.  He was afraid she would go cheat on him.  He, meanwhile, had no problem cheating right in front of her.

--------------------

Offlinelowbrow
Paddy Time!!!!
Male

#20534357 - 09/07/14 04:45 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Vriska Serket said:

Animal Collective sucks.

--------------------
Amanita86 said:
Sui is trying to mod right now.  Kinda like a newborn calf tryin ta stand fer the first time ain’t it..

OfflineShining Cosmos
Space Nomad
Male

Re: The Beatles suck [Re: lowbrow]
    #20534381 - 09/07/14 04:50 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I forgot to mention how much more talented King Crimson is than the beatles.

--------------------
MY ART

OfflineDilsnique
Admiral Admirable
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherworld
    #20553655 - 09/11/14 03:40 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Kraftwerk > Beatles: When it comes to influence and evolution of music

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

#20553688 - 09/11/14 03:46 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Burke Dennings said:
Quote:

pfxtc said:

He was really excessively nice about Ringo afterwards cause he felt bad about it. In this one interview I vaguely remember him calling Mick Jagger a bum shaking faggot and George and Paul worthless morons and then going on and on about how Ringo is the best person in the world.

Quote:

Vriska Serket said:

That guy was definitely literally sticking his dick in a pile of trash. I don't remotely care about this debate, because what other people listen to doesn't effect me if they don't live with me and play it loud, but Animal Collective sample the Beatles.

This song is not by either of those people and is good.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

#20553708 - 09/11/14 03:51 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Did somebody say Spirit?

Fucking right it is better than anything any Beatle ever did.

Did Spirit get angry that Led Zeppelin lifted huge chunks of Stairway to Heaven from one of their songs? I also seem to remember one of them having fallen off a horse, sustained a head injury and becoming a psychopath.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom