Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleimnotthere

best way to fruit hericium sawdust blocks - questions about lions mane
    #9202379 - 11/07/08 04:13 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have 2 like this, my first hericium attempt.  They are 1 quart per bag, spawned to sterilized sawdust with wheat bran and gypsum supplements.  The quart jars took like 2 weeks to fully colonize, but then the bags there were fast, like a week.

Question is, what is the best way to fruit these blocks?  There are already some small fruits forming in several places.  I will be fruiting in a greenhouse with a coolmist running in a short cycle with the door to the greenhouse unzipped on both sides.  I believe this method of fruiting does a fine job of letting CO2 escape, as I understand Hericium are very CO2 intolerant.  Is this adequate?  There is even a fan in the closet that kicks on for 15 minutes every hour, just to keep air moving...

Should I open the top? I have it wire-tied shut there.  Poke holes in the sides in several places?  Above the substrate level, even with it, or below it?

I plan on doing Oysters, Shiitake, and Reishi in the same block method - seems it depends on the species which method is used to go from spawn bag to fruiting...  like I could see shiitakes just opening the top and rolling down maybe?  And Reishi could be either sliced to form conks or opened at the top to form antlers...  Oysters maybe either way...?

Advice is appreciated, I've researched the subject and found a few tidbits of advice, but not much.  Obviously I want the Hericium to grow large and let the teeth elongate, so I assume holes should be on the sides... but where? and do I open the top as well???

Thanks everybody

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: best way to fruit hericium sawdust blocks - questions about lions mane [Re: imnotthere]
    #9205915 - 11/08/08 07:53 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'm going to need an answer to this soon myself.  I have a lion's mane block that only looks to be about half colonized, and I'm already seeing primordia forming on the top of the block.

Most recent posts I've seen on the subject recommend fruiting while the block is still in the bag.  Cut small holes in it about an inch from the top of the block.  If you want a big, dramatic fruit, make one hole in the bag.  This is recommended in GGMM.  Larger, intact fruits = longer shelf life.

As far as elevated CO2 levels, RR recommends taking the top off of your FC.  His video even has an escapee--one of his PF tek cakes is near the edge of the FC, and it actually poked its pway through an air exchange hole.  I have to wonder if this led to the fruit drying out.  Regular misting would probably be a good idea, too!

Be sure to post pics. :smile:

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: best way to fruit hericium sawdust blocks - questions about lions mane [Re: Paresthesia]
    #9206251 - 11/08/08 11:22 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Cut the entire top of the bag off right at the top of the block.  If desired, you can totally remove the substrate from the bag.  Place into fruiting conditions with LOTS of fresh air and high humidity.  They'll pin and grow like crazy.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
Re: best way to fruit hericium sawdust blocks - questions about lions mane [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9206365 - 11/08/08 11:58 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Stamets recommends puncturing small holes in the sides of the bags, and only a few holes. This results in a clean fruit body which is easy to harvest.

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: best way to fruit hericium sawdust blocks - questions about lions mane [Re: denger]
    #9206922 - 11/08/08 02:01 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If you put holes, you need to make sure your conditions are humid.

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

Invisibleimnotthere

Re: best way to fruit hericium sawdust blocks - questions about lions mane [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9207205 - 11/08/08 02:58 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Paresthesia said:
As far as elevated CO2 levels, RR recommends taking the top off of your FC.  His video even has an escapee--one of his PF tek cakes is near the edge of the FC, and it actually poked its pway through an air exchange hole.  I have to wonder if this led to the fruit drying out.  Regular misting would probably be a good idea, too!

Be sure to post pics. :smile:

I saw that escapee picture as well, very neat.  I am using a greenhouse with a coolmist running in short cycles, the door is completely unzipped:  so I think this fruiting environment is gonna be ideal for Hericium. I can easily keep the humidity at 95+% with the door unzipped and the coolmist running like 3 minutes on and 5 minutes off - getting constant FAE - I don't even hand fan but once in a while.  Greenhouses rock.

I already have some fruits starting on the top surface in a few places, so I think cutting off the top of the bag at substrate level like RR advised is gonna be the best method.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Cut the entire top of the bag off right at the top of the block.  If desired, you can totally remove the substrate from the bag.  Place into fruiting conditions with LOTS of fresh air and high humidity.  They'll pin and grow like crazy.
RR

Question though RR - if you take these blocks out of the bags, will the fruits still mature and form a few large bodies, or do they tend to pin all over and stay small?  I figured it was important to block off a lot of the substrate so that those large bodies will form.

Are Lions Mane preferred to grow large and elongated like in your picture?  Or are they better small, like golf ball sized all over the block like I've seen in other pictures?

Invisibleimnotthere

Re: best way to fruit hericium sawdust blocks - questions about lions mane [Re: imnotthere]
    #9207757 - 11/08/08 05:20 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

couldn't wait to update this.  I think I'll be dining on nice clusters of Lions Mane very soon!  I have a feeling they will be taking off like crazy now that they are opened up!  Can't wait

I'll update in a few

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
    #9212283 - 11/09/08 04:54 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I get the feeling that I need a bigger fruiting chamber.  A shotgun FC with the lid removed just isn't going to cut it, since I won't be able to maintain a high enough humidity level.  Argh.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Invisibleimnotthere

Re: best way to fruit hericium sawdust blocks - questions about lions mane [Re: Paresthesia]
    #9230640 - 11/12/08 03:37 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

do you think these will still elongate like most pictures of Hericium I've seen?  They been fruiting for maybe 3-4 days... looking strange and very pink

Invisibleimnotthere
    #9263049 - 11/17/08 11:33 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I just tasted these bad boys fried up with some spaghetti and zuccini and squash.  They were damn tasty!  I've been officially bitten by the gourmet bug.  They were similar tasting and texture to fried clams or other various seafoods.  I got a rum buzz going on too.

Even though they didn't form correctly, I enjoyed them.  My next bags I got almost ready, I am just gonna poke a few holes to see if these fruits form fuller...

Offlineknomadic_niki
A mile high
 User Gallery

Loc: 6200' Colorado
    #20510137 - 09/02/14 02:20 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
RR

I know this is an old thread but, Roger Rabbit, how do you keep fresh air exchange high AND the humidity high?

--------------------
My trade list

In search of sporeless oyster cultures

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies