Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
So you say we are all one huh?
    #2050236 - 10/28/03 01:10 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

One of the themes of buddhism and the 2012 ascension is the idea of oneness, that we are all a fragmented part of a collective consciousness. Hey, its sounds really nice, but...

Last Friday I went to a temp labor service where you show up at 6 am, sign up, and you will be sent to a job site that needs temporary labor and you are paid six dollars an hour for your troubles. Most people that use this service are without vehicles so if you have transportation, you will be asked to drive people to a job site.

Well, I have a car so I was sent with another person to unload some trucks. I was around him four hours and got his life story.

On the way to the job site, I noticed that he smelled like alcohol (it's 7 in the morning), he's complaining about how he needs a beer and asks if I can stop if we see a liquor store. We don't see one and when we begin working, he starts having minor tremors, I ask him if he's okay and he says "Yeah, I just didn't get enough to drink before I left this morning."

We get done with the job assignment and get our money. He offers me 5 bucks to drive him to a liquor store and drive him home. I agree and on the way to his house he begins telling me how he drinks atleast a fifth a day and that he is a lawyer. He tells me this story about how he came here to visit family and got two dui's in one week, and a citation for fleeing the scene of an injury accident that he caused while drunk. He tells me that he practiced divorce law and he always one because if the husband hired him, he would kidnap the children and tell the wife to sign the papers if she ever wanted to see her kids again.

The point of my story is that I DO NOT DESIRE TO BE ONE WITH THIS PERSON, i guess I am passing judgement on him, but I feel this way about a lot of people I have worked with in Kansas City factories.

My question to you people is, how do you feel about being one with really undesirable people???

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: So you say we are all one huh? [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2050277 - 10/28/03 01:21 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

> I DO NOT DESIRE TO BE ONE WITH THIS PERSON

Compassion is often difficult to express. For every bad trait that you can find in a person, there is something good to find as well. We are all brothers and sisters...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinestart25
Re: So you say we are all one huh? [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2050697 - 10/28/03 03:50 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

His addiction to alcohol is not really something to look down at him for or repel you. Maybe you don't understand drug addiction, but take it from someone that has seen both sides, it usually doesn't stem from the person being inherently "bad," but lonely, disillusioned and weak.

As for the bottom comment about him being a lawyer and kidnapping the wife's children, if this is indeed true, meaning he wasn't embellishing, that is a terrible thing to do.

I often feel the same way you do about us being all one. When someone is punching you in the face calling you faggot, it's damn hard to accept that you are of the same origin as this person. In fact, I still haven't gotten over a lot of the actions I saw, and continue to see my fellow man commit. And I also don't know if I believe in the ascension, although I do think we are all of one greater energy.

I try to look at it this way: certain people are learning different lessons in life then you are. Until you have lived inside their head, then and only then can you judge their actions. Everyone lives a different life for a different reason- to experience a viewpoint. The viewpoint you experience is a unique gift. It's a gift to be able to see things in your own way. Nobody else sees things quite like you. Sometimes I look at myself and my situation and feel down, but in the end I realize that had things in my life gone differently, I would not think the thoughts I think today, and I am blessed to have been able to see things with this one and only perspective.

This man sounds like he fucked up, but perhaps by the end of his life he will reach some ultimate conclusion, or maybe later on, or maybe in a few months he will learn his lessons. Believe me, anybody can change, and I think we're always on the path to changing for the better and learning.

Anonymous

Re: So you say we are all one huh? [Re: start25]
    #2050793 - 10/28/03 04:15 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The ONE-NESS that each & every element of earth (not just humanity) is part of, is a one-ness of spirit, a one-ness of the essence or soul of things (the anima-mundi i believe it is referred to by eastern traditions). This shit-hole is indeed full of the undesirable, including me & you.When each and all of us are stripped of our ignorance & illusion , then & only then will we be permitted to be as one. Dont look upon that crazy mixed up lawyer guys life of mistakes & tragedy as the real him, his animating spirit , which he is temporarliy unaware of, is inextricably interwoven with yours.

Offlinejustaglimpse
shroomer

Loc: England
Re: So you say we are all one huh? [Re: ]
    #2050954 - 10/28/03 05:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

And also are we not all made of the same atoms, the same atoms that also define the universe? When we die, these atoms that construct our physical bodies are once again returned to the earth and used elsewhere?

Also I'm sure your initial perception of the guy who drinks is probably not accurate, I bet if you spent enough time with him, and got to know him on a deeper level, you would find he is probably not so dissimilar from yourself? The events that people experience throughout their life can shape people in to very different characters, but I think, ultimately, people want the same things out of life, and are so more similar than they would like to admit...

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
Re: So you say we are all one huh? [Re: justaglimpse]
    #2051375 - 10/28/03 08:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It depends what you consider to be "we". If "we" are the energy that puts life in these bodies then yeah, we are all one, Because you dont carry specificly diffrent kinds of electrons, We get energy from mother earth and its plant life, then we die and return to the soil from witch new trees and fruits will eventually grow to be eaten and form part of another human being. I call it the energy cycle or something. If "we" is simply our set of conjoined organs and brain then no, we dont all posses the same traits and will eventualy clash with other egos in the course of your biological life time. Because life has evolved to a point where its life goal is no longer just finding food. NOw it cosist of relationships, emotional needs, entertainment and this web of chaos has been formed in the middle of what we call "life" This web of chaos that feeds this human need for relationship with other humans.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: So you say we are all one huh? [Re: Spokesman]
    #2051691 - 10/28/03 10:18 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think being one means you have to be this person. it's not like we are going to turn into this amorphous blob of goo or anything. look at it this way, that person had an impact on you. whether good or bad they had one and maybe it was designed that way. I know I see a lot of very dramatic people, a couple of my friends have killed themselves because the "chaos" became too much for them. it was tragic of course, just as anyone kidnapping another would be, but maybe their actions are there for others to make you wake up a little more. I know when my friend died my whole reality shifted. It made me think that no matter how difficult my life may or may not have been, I am still here while he isn't. I have bonded with his family on a whole new level as I have also bonded with my life in a whole new way. just a shift in perspective. in no way shape or form am I saying that what that person was doing was right or wrong, just as I could never say why my friend jumped off the golden gate bridge was right or wrong, but it certainly changed me. this is life IMHO

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: So you say we are all one huh? [Re: kaiowas]
    #2060421 - 10/31/03 01:40 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Buddhism doesnt say that we are all the same, or one.

Therravada buddhism says that we have no self, and that that is the greatest religious ignorance possible.  We are all made of Pure Particulars, dharmas, which make up everything..and when we label them and categorize them, we accrue karma.

Mahayana (specifically Madhyamaka) preaches sunyata, or "emptiness", the idea that there are conventional and ultimate truths to life.  We know the conventional, we need to realize the ultimate, which is that there is no karma, no samsara, no suffering, just "thusness" (like the final scene of matrix).

So in a sense it talks of being "one", but the idea of the self is not exactly accepted, at least in the traditional Therravada form.

Ch'an (zen) from china focuses more on this-world and selves, and specifically what you said about the principle of one thing being the principle of all things (3rd truth/Sudden practice), because of the lineage of religious beliefs up to that point (Confucianism, "Daoism", Mohism)

Just clearin it up for anyone who doesnt realize the disctinction :smile:

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Invisiblequestioning
shaker
Loc: joisey
Re: So you say we are all one huh? [Re: Kremlin]
    #2060441 - 10/31/03 01:56 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i think that your post makes a lot of sense, who wants to be associated with someone who seems to offer only negativity to the world, right? But maybe try and see a different perspective. You can be a good person, and you can be surrounded by 'bad' people. You have a choice that you can allow their negativity to rub off on you. You can think poorly of them, you can let your opinion of them bother you. Or you can make up your mind to accept that they are experiencing something you haven't, that you don't know what it's like to be that person, and keep working. Project as much positive energy around you as possible. Maybe they'll get some of it. Maybe they'll get just enough to give them a boost in the right direction.
Maybe nothing will change for him. It's not your job to change it, but you might feel better about yourself knowing you didn't contribute to his negative pattern by projecting negative opinions of him.

--------------------
important questions sometimes involve a quest to answer.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology