Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewacked
Ylide
 User Gallery
Loc: Hawaii
Pesticides and the shroom patch
    #2049323 - 10/27/03 11:59 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Man I need help here. I met this guy at the arboretum a few years ago while looking for shrooms. We talked a few times through the years especially during the Fall to see how the season progressed for us. This year he finds a big patch in a public place and needs me to go with him to look out for people while he picks. So I go with him and he shows me his spot and we pick while the other is a lookout. We clean up the shrooms by washing them off with water at home and split them. It was an ok pick of a few hundred cys but I always thought it was his thing and his spot and it had a weird vibe about it since I thought he was a bit paranoid about pickin. So I gave away the shrooms I had from that pick to friends after drying them. The guy calls me up about 4 days later after consuming 10 cys and says he got poisoned. By the mushrooms. He claims that the place where we picked them people used pesticides and he must have consumed round-up (pesticides) that it had gotten on the shrooms. He said that he had been to the hospital and they pumped his stomach. The DR. told him there is a possibility his liver could shut down. I called the people I gave the shrooms to and asked them if they got sick. They said no and about 3 different experienced people ate them and they were the best shrooms they had ever eaten. So I told them the story about the possibilty of the spray and told them they shouldnt eat them anymore. They thought I was nuts and wasnt serious. They were wondering when I could get them more.
Man I dont know if this guy is really telling me the truth about the spray or if he acidentially ate a wrong one that got mixed in the bag. I washed them really good and looked over each one to make sure. I know they were good since I got high just picking them. But has anyone ever had a problem eating sprayed shrooms? I called the sick guy and he said he had been at the hospital for the last couple days. Is there anyway I can confirm that he was actually at the hospital or not. Could he have just had a bad trip and created this whole illusion about being sick? Or maybe he had second thoughts about showing me his spot and didnt want me to thare anymore. he told me that at the hospital he told the police where he picked them so they could try to figure out what he ingested. I think I liked this guy better when it was just a few phone calls a year. Now it seems I am caught in this tangled web. Any suggestions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pesticides and the shroom patch [Re: wacked]
    #2049544 - 10/28/03 01:10 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

There are certainly many valid reports of people being poisoned by eating mushrooms that were contaminated by some sort of external toxin. Some of those poisonings have been extremely serious.

There was a poisoning here in Colorado a few years ago where a couple roughly 12 year old boys ate some mushrooms that it turned out somebody had inexplicably sprayed with DEET (an insect repellant). One of the boys went into a coma for several days and the doctors honestly didn't know if he'd survive. Fortunately, he came out of it and was OK.

There is the possiblity that only a few mushrooms were sprayed, or that none were, and he ate a mixed in mushroom of another, poisonous species.

If you have a good reason to suspect that the mushrooms might have been sprayed, then they should be considered poison. Unless the poison can be removed with certainty, the mushrooms should not be eaten.

Here's a nice page that lists most of the common pesticides and their associated symptoms:

http://www.rst2.edu/ties/DDTS/university/docs/toxic.pdf

Roundup is listed near the bottom on page 9.

Hope that's helpful.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, WA Flag
    #2049848 - 10/28/03 05:54 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

He could have had a really bad trip.
He could have eaten a contaminated shroom.
Who knows?

Regardless of the situation, I'd avoid the patch and person for good. It sounds like you don't know him well enough to trust him, so avoidance would be the best course here.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Pesticides and the shroom patch [Re: Stymee]
    #2049912 - 10/28/03 07:01 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I have talked to the parks people here in Seattle, They admit that they do not spray toxins or pesticides into public gardens. Individuals also are not allow to spray any chemicals harmhiul to humans into their gardens. Especially people who own domesticated pets who might eat grasses and otehr greens in a garden.
Here is part of a page posted at my website about a lady who had people picking shrooms on her garden day in and day out and her answers about being able to spray cheimcals into their gardens.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:

Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Thursday September 30, 1976. Pages 1, 12.

MUSHROOMIN' FIX ON A SURBURBAN LAWN
By S. L. Sanger (P-I Eastside Bureau

Redmond - Mrs X has a little problem with magic mushrooms growing in her yard.

"What's growing in my front yard is not funny. They are loaded with acid," said the 35-year old Redmond mother, who definitely did not want her name or address published.

For two years, people of all ages and descriptions have been coming to her yard to pick and eat the mushrooms, and she doesn't like it. She considers them trespassers.

And she is worried that someone will overdose, or encourage little neighborhood kids to eat them.

No proof has been given that the mushrooms are hallucnogenic, "but the kids sure must think they are," Mrs. X said.

"Kids have been coming to my door stoned. I began to think there must be more to this than meets the eye. I checked around and found out they were eating them to get high," she said.

The mushrooms, short and buttoned-sized, are not easy to see in the short-cropped grass of the manicured lawn. But that has not stopped the mushroom fanciers.

Mrs. X said the mushroom eaters arrive in Cadillacs and sometimes Mercedes Benzes. Some of them are well dressed, some not so well-dress.

"Kids tried to tell me they were picking the mushrooms for a biology class. Them I realized school hadn't even started.

"Every morning I go out and pick the mushrooms, but two hours later we have a new crop. I am a very busy person. I don't have the time to pick mushrooms all day," she said.

Mrs. X said the problem has now spread to other parts of her neighborhood, and the next door neighbors have mushrooms even more potent than hers.

"I tell people to stop picking, but it is the same old garbage. All the time I am telling them to stop, they are picking like mad."

"We can't have a guard dog because we would be liable if it bit someone. We can't poison the mushrooms for the same reason, and we can't have a fence because there is a zoning restriction against Fences."

It is too expensive to plow up the yard, and her kids have to play someplace, she said. Mrs. X said the best thing would be a hard freeze, but that probably won't happen untill late October

Gerald Yaeger, a Redmond police detective, said some of Mrs. X's mushrooms are at a state laboratory for determination if they are hallucinogenic.

"Sometimes I think kids eat a few mushrooms and drink a fifth of Vodka, then tell other kids what a great high they got from mushrooms," Yaeger said.

The detective said his department has run 20 pounds of mushrooms through the state laboratory and so far has not found any that were hallucinogenic.

A person in possession of hallucinogenic mushrooms could be prosecutes under the controlled substance law, the detective said.

Greg Wright, 26, who operates Eastside mushroom hunts and who describes himself as an expert mushroom eater, said he ate some of Mrs. X's mushrooms.

"My mind focused on one thing at a time, very vivid sensations of sight and sound and thinking it was mostly a pleasant experience, unless I started thinking about something unpleasant," he said.

Dr. Daniel Stuntz, Unifersioty of Wshington biology professor and scientific adviser to the Puget Sound Mycological (mushroom study) Society, had this to say: "If you don't know what you are eating, don't eat it."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

mjshroomer\

It is possible that some may do so but most likely doubtful.. Even landscappers are not allow to add anti fungus spray into landscapped areas.

The usuall method for keeping shrooms from a garden is to lay a black plastic tarp over the topsoil and mulch is than laid over the tarp. I have seen such tarp when walking around neighborhoods with expensive homes and gardens.

mj

Many people pick look-a-like shrooms and never notice because they are not experienced in shrooms. Jut because you find a few shrooms does not mean you know what you are doing or picking.

I have taken people out in the past, over twenty years ago to pastures to pick liberty caps and then find five or six other species in their bags mixed in with the liberty caps.

And for those who pick button shrooms of P. cyanescens, a lot of shrooms look-a-like in that button stage. You could have picked a Galerina in its button stage which looks exactly like a Psilocybe cyanescens, although only one death in the last 20 years was due to misidentification. That was the 16-year-old girl from Whibbey Island who accidently ate Galerina autumnalis mistaking it for psilocybe stuntzii. Their are many toxic shrooms which grow in and aroound Psilocybe species in the lawns as well as in the mulch.

Anything coould have made your friend sick. But to give them to others could also make others sick.

Be careful when you are picking. Sometimes even experts have gotten sick. I also notice that many youthful pickers, expecially those who pick cubensis in the south even collect the half rotted shrooms when collecting.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (10/28/03 07:09 AM)

Offlinewacked
Ylide
 User Gallery
Re: Pesticides and the shroom patch [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2049953 - 10/28/03 07:40 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you for all your replies. I know there were galerinas growing nearby. I know what it is like to pick a galerina and the difference in the texture of the stem when they are picked. He had picked some older cys that were starting to decay. He also had some other mushrooms in the bag that he wanted to go and identify (I didnt know what they were) and I really thought I got them all out of the bag since we cleaned them so well. Before we left the place he made a side step in some bushes and pulled out what he thought were some big laughing gems he wanted to try to identify. We had also picked some animita muscaria earlier that day. He said that he likes to eat them. I dont eat them but find them all the time. When he called me and gave me the news about the mushrooms being sprayed and he had just got out of the hospital he said he ate 10 cys. and blamed the sickness on them. I dont know if he actually ingested something else. I seriously doubt it was the cys that did it to him. The cys are really strong. I warned the people whom I gave the shrooms to that they could be poisonous and may have been sprayed with pesticides. They said that they are adults and can make decisions for themselves and thanked me for the heads up. But they wont throw them away since they are the best shrooms they ever had. I hope that was enough by letting them know about the problem where the responsibility is off my back. But I am sure if something did go wrong with them it could come back and haunt me.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2049958 - 10/28/03 07:46 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Let me put it in simple terms, If they had been poisoned and you gave themt he shrooms you would surely do some prison time. The rreal toxic shrooms fdo not affect you until 8 to 16 hours after ingestion. Others make you sick within a few hours such as the inocybes or muscaria which cause profuse sweating, vomiting and diarrhea.

have a shroomy say,

mj

Offlinewacked
Ylide
 User Gallery
Re: Pesticides and the shroom patch [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2050168 - 10/28/03 10:24 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It has been about 12 days since I gave my friends the shrooms. And they loved them. They are probably all consumed by now. Thats why I am not so sure about the other guys story. Noone else got sick from them. I just doubt what the sick guy is telling me is true. I think he ingested something else. Or he is blowing smoke. Is there a way I can confim he was actually at the hospital. I could call the hospital and say I am doing a research paper on mushroom poisoning and ask if anyone has been in cause of it. Would they give me any info??? About a recent case to find out if the guy is telling me the truth. I dont know why I dont believe him. It just all seems so weird. He took them last week on Tuesday. And still complains about being sick.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2050262 - 10/28/03 11:18 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hospitals tend to have confidentiality policies regarding patient information. If you're not actually a close relative of the patient, you're not going to get information from them.

Maybe you should just put this guy on your "do not trust" list and leave it at that.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinewacked
Ylide
 User Gallery
Re: Pesticides and the shroom patch [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2050393 - 10/28/03 11:49 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

OK we'll do. I'll let it go.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Pesticides and the shroom patch [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2050412 - 10/28/03 11:53 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hospitals can give information about ases but not the persons or people involved. statistics are free from a hospital and only takes a minute. You can ask if theyre have been any recent cases of mushroom poisoning. It is nto illegal to provide that kind of infor. But who it happened to is not given out becasue of patient doctor confidentiality laws

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies