Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineZahid
Stranger
A Holocaust in the Making
    #2048307 - 10/27/03 09:09 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

A Holocaust in the Making

by Paul Craig Roberts -October 27, 2003

"Simply stated, there is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction." Vice President Dick Cheney, 8-26-02.

"For those who say we haven't found the banned manufacturing devises or banned weapons, they're wrong, we found them." President George Bush, 5-30-03.

When it became obvious that the neoconservatives would succeed in turning the "war against terrorism" into war against the Muslim Middle East, I said that the consequences would be the return of the draft or US use of nuclear weapons.

Bush administration neoconservatives have concluded that reinstating the military draft would incite more opposition than inaugurating a new weapons program to produce "useable nukes."

In the October 26 Telegraph (UK), Washington correspondent Julian Coman reports that "influential advisers at the Pentagon are backing the development of a new generation of low-yield nuclear weapons ? so-called mini-nukes ? in a controversial report . . . the report argues for a move away from the Cold War view of nuclear arms as catastrophic weapons of last resort."

In place of bad old nuclear weapons, the good new nukes will be easier to use and more "relevant to the threat environment."

This extraordinary proposal from the world's Arms Control Hegemon demonstrates the fanaticism of the neoconservatives. They are indeed the heirs of the French Revolution just as Professor Claes Ryn shows in his new book, America the Virtuous.

The Pentagon report, which has been leaked to a defense magazine, designates "terrorists" as the targets of the mini-nukes. New nuclear weapons are said to be necessary in order to destroy deeply buried biological weapons caches, terrorist cells and hidden weapons of mass destruction.

Such weapons caches will exist wherever neoconservatives declare them to be. For the neocons, the advantage of a nuclear over a conventional attack is that the former solves the manpower problem and, by obliterating the target, conveniently rules out discovering the embarrassing fact of nonexistent WMD.

Obviously, nuclear weapons of any size are too destructive to use against terrorists, who are scattered among much larger populations. The only purpose of the "small nuclear weapons" ? an oxymoron if ever there was one ? is to incinerate Muslim cities. Just as Iraq, Iran and Syria are declared, propagandistically, to be "terrorist states," Damascus, Tehran, Baghdad, Mecca, Cairo, and Mogadishu will be declared "terrorist cities." It looks as if the neocons intend a final solution to their "Muslim problem" and are organizing genocide for Arabs.

Deeply buried caches of weapons of mass destruction exist nowhere except, of course, in the US, Israel and Russia ? countries that are not to be found on the neocons' terrorist list. But neocons are betting that a rumored threat can be used to justify a new generation of nuclear weapons.

Propaganda about nonexistent weapons caches is fuel for the neoconservative jihad against Islam, just like fabricated claims of Iraqi WMD were used as a pretext for invading Iraq. It is not American "virtue" but nuclear fallout that neocons intend to spread in the Middle East.

During three short years of the Bush administration, neoconservatives have turned US foreign policy on its head. Neocons dismantled US multilateral relationships that were a half century in the making. Neocons used lies and fabrications to deceive the American public and to launch an aggressive war. Not satisfied with their revolutionary destruction of world order, neocons now demand that the US lead the world in a new round of nuclear proliferation.

If this is not the behavior of a rogue state, what is?

The Pentagon report argues for a new generation of useable nuclear weapons on the bare assumption that terrorist underground caches of WMD will materialize out of thin air sometime in the future. The Pentagon report does not explain why terrorists who intend us harm would make targets of their WMD by storing them in bunkers instead of immediately using them against us.

In three short years neoconservatives have reorganized the Department of Defense from a deterrent force to a means of waging aggressive war. It shows that US policy, following that of Ariel Sharon, has abandoned the quest for peace in the Middle East, focusing instead on a one-sided resolution through conquest.

Deceived, befuddled and complicit, Americans are being led into a wider war.

(Creators Syndicate)

Dr. Roberts is John M. Olin Fellow at the Institute for Political Economy, Senior Research Fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University, and Research Fellow at the Independent Institute. He is a former associate editor of the Wall Street Journal and a former assistant secretary of the U.S. Treasury. He is the co-author of The Tyranny of Good Intentions.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: A Holocaust in the Making [Re: Zahid]
    #2048352 - 10/27/03 09:20 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Funny how those that use these quotes....
"Simply stated, there is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction." Vice President Dick Cheney, 8-26-02.

"For those who say we haven't found the banned manufacturing devises or banned weapons, they're wrong, we found them." President George Bush, 5-30-03.

seem to always omit these....
"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998.

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998.

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998.

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998.

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998.

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destrution and palaces for his cronies."
Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999.

"There is no doubt that . Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL,) and others, Dec, 5, 2001.

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering them."
Sen. Carl Levin (d, MI), Sept. 19, 2002.

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002.

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002.

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seing and developing weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002.

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002.

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force ? if necessary ? to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002.

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years . We also should remember we have alway s underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Jay Rockerfeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002,

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do."
Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002.

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction. "[W]ithout question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation. And now he has continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real ...
Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003.

Edit: credit to wingnutx for the above list.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (10/27/03 09:46 PM)

Anonymous

Re: A Holocaust in the Making [Re: Zahid]
    #2048368 - 10/27/03 09:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i think that article is a little off-the-wall.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: A Holocaust in the Making [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2048369 - 10/27/03 09:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I guess that demonstrates that there's really only one party in power (with two competing yet frequently cooperating factions) in the U.S. Let's call 'em the Republocrats or the Demopublicans.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
Re: A Holocaust in the Making [Re: Evolving]
    #2048968 - 10/28/03 12:28 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Are you generally a third-party voter, Evolving? Among my friends there's a lot of talk about third-party voting, even of a "Vote Third Party" campaign. What do you think about potential third-party voters (e.g. Greens, Libertarians) choosing instead to vote for the "lesser of the two evils" in the bipartisan system?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2048991 - 10/28/03 12:33 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Evolving said:
I guess that demonstrates that there's really only one party in power (with two competing yet frequently cooperating factions) in the U.S. Let's call 'em the Republocrats or the Demopublicans.

I think WhiteRasta said it best when he called them the Janus party.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: A Holocaust in the Making [Re: hongomon]
    #2049225 - 10/28/03 01:34 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hongomon said:
Are you generally a third-party voter, Evolving?

Yes. I am also generally anti-incumbent. Politicians, like soiled underwear, should be changed often and for the same reason (I think I am paraphrasing someone else here). I am against a permanent political class, for this only serves to disconnect our public masters from the trials and tribulations which we subjects are subject to. Our 'representatives' would actually be more representative of the general populace if they were chosen by lottery instead of elections. I of course also heartily endorse the frequent use of impeachments and recalls. Sorry for the little tangent.

Quote:

What do you think about potential third-party voters (e.g. Greens, Libertarians) choosing instead to vote for the "lesser of the two evils" in the bipartisan system?

I am against voting for the lesser of two evils (unless there is no third choice). One can easily see that this has not worked to stop the decline of our government. Those who voted for George Bush under the misguided concept that since he pandered to conservatives that somehow he would be for smaller government have gotten (along with the rest of us) the largest growth in government since FDR (or is it Johnson?), fiscal irresponsibility, a burgeoning police state and a redefinition of the term conservative to the equivalent of what used to be termed 'big government, north-eastern establishment Republican.'

It has been said that if you continue to do what you have always done (such as vote for the lesser of two evils), you will continue to get the same results that you always have (such as the drift of our government towards despotism).

Now, some people (actually a lot of people) say that they would only vote for a third party candidate if they were certain that said candidate would have a chance of winning. This of course is perfect for maintaining the status quo and for assuring that third party candidates will never be successful. NO ONE has ever helped to forge a new path by refusing to take the road less travelled. Political timidity, compromise, party politics and lack of principles are what have brought us to our current state of affairs.

Third party candidates are generally (IMHO) not under any delusions that they will win and hence are more likely to be honest with their intentions and not beholden to large doners. Although I am on the agnostic edge between being an anarchist vs. a minarchist, I would prefer an honest Green (who may be for a bigger government than I would prefer) to a duplicitous Democrat any day, similarly I would prefer a principled Libertarian to a Republican who will say anything to win.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2049897 - 10/28/03 08:41 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

*clap, clap, clap*

Well said.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN
Re: A Holocaust in the Making [Re: Phred]
    #2050792 - 10/28/03 04:15 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Im afraid the Iraq is gonna turn into just like the farce we had in Vietnam. Its a damned if you do damned if you dont. If you stay in Iraq we will be losing troops, Money, and Credibility. Get out right now and you just wasted all the money,Troops,Time,and effort.

Iraq is gonna be the new defintion of a Catch-22

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2050838 - 10/28/03 04:32 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, well said Evolving. You phrased it perfectly. That's why I vote third party whenever possible.

"It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?"

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion