Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
The Cause of Evil
    #2047776 - 10/27/03 05:20 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I want to hear your opinions on this. Many people have given explanations for what causes evil in this world. Some say that people are essentially good, and that evil is caused by ignorance. But this must be wrong because there are many people who do things which they know to be wrong. Others say that people are naturally evil, and that they must overcome this tendency through sheer will-power, yet there seem to be some people who are just naturally kind and generous without requiring much willpower. Some say evil is caused by the Devil, yet how could any entity oppose the will of an all-powerful God? Others say that good and evil are all subjective, and therefore there is no evil the objective sense, but there are some values that exist in every culture, and as I said before, many people commit acts which they themselves believe to be wrong. What are your thoughts on this?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: The Cause of Evil [Re: silversoul7]
    #2047837 - 10/27/03 05:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

good and evil are caused by a difference in perspective, they are totally relative. whats good to you could be evil to another and whats evil to you could be good to another. however, considering that there are certain values that most people hold in every society, evil does exist to some degree. those values which most of us hold (murder is wrong for one) define what is evil to us. therefore, evil is something that is actively held outside of the norm by a society. it is my opinion that evil is caused by a lack of societal training. people who do evil things are typically people who havent been taught the 'correct' values or morals in the society they live in. ugh, lost my train of thought, but i think i got a basic idea of what im thinking across.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2047842 - 10/27/03 05:40 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What is the cause of evil?

An anti-God movement which operates at all times & in all places. There is one or two other phrases which may be beneficial to list:
The spirit of the world (the literal force/life force of the world's citizens from the beginning to the present). The perpetual sins of mankind follow mankind until repentence is activated and accepted by God.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: The Cause of Evil [Re: World Spirit]
    #2047845 - 10/27/03 05:40 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Money.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: The Cause of Evil [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #2047860 - 10/27/03 05:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The_Red_Crayon said:
Money. 

Money doesn't CAUSE evil.... it funds it. :grin:

Seriously, though, money alone doesn't cause evil, as nothing else does either (and, of course, the definition of evil and good is relative). It all stems from our mind and our subsequent actions.....
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Anonymous

#2047866 - 10/27/03 05:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Duality is absolute in nature, postive&negative , matter & spirit, yin & yang etc etc...without absolute evil there would be no absolute good...balancing them is what its all about...the best evolved units in nature are those that have achieved the finest balance. I think humans are inherantly evil & inherantly divine...i myself am an evil fucker at times, the rest of the time im an angel here to aid mankind.Warp & Woof ...Ebb & flow, theres no escaping it.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: The Cause of Evil [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #2047925 - 10/27/03 06:06 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The_Red_Crayon said:
Money.

The Love of money is the root of all evil, not money itself.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: The Cause of Evil [Re: John]
    #2047946 - 10/27/03 06:15 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

So was there evil before money existed?

--------------------

Offlinecaolite
Ambient Drone

Loc: Second star on the right.
Re: The Cause of Evil [Re: ]
    #2047964 - 10/27/03 06:22 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

iamhimheisme said:
good and evil are caused by a difference in perspective, they are totally relative.

Quote:

...therefore, evil is something that is actively held outside of the norm by a society.

couldnt have said it better myself  :lol:

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

#2047967 - 10/27/03 06:24 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

money is a subjective term, there was always some sort of currency, even with the barter system. food or clothing or gold would have been considered the money.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2048013 - 10/27/03 06:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What about in primitive hunter-gatherer societies where people shared everything and there was no personal property? Was there evil in those societies?

--------------------

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

#2048056 - 10/27/03 07:01 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

there is always something you want, that you don't have and someone else does.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2048083 - 10/27/03 07:09 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

So you're saying that the cause of evil is inequality?

--------------------

Anonymous

#2048118 - 10/27/03 07:22 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

what is evil?

Anonymous

#2048139 - 10/27/03 08:24 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
what is evil?

Evil , is the over-emphasis by human beings of the form side of nature(matter) .

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2048140 - 10/27/03 08:25 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Good question. I don't know if there is a clear answer to that. I'd say that it has something to do with causing suffering for others, but there's more to it than that. A Utilitarian would say that it is that which causes greater suffering than happiness. A Kantian would say it is that which, if applied universally, would cause more harm than good. It's hard to say really, but it obviously has some correlation to suffering.

--------------------

InvisibleArmFromTheAbyss
Old Hand

Loc: Down here in Babylon
    #2048182 - 10/27/03 08:35 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think the cause of evil is that we live on earth. It can be a cold harsh fucking place out there. It can also be paradise. I agree with neon; existence is both positive and negative. We're sort of born into this. I think that as a result of the Neolithic Revolution, and evolution since, we are seeing evil manifest from the tendency of nature to be harsh. Only the strong survive. Even though we may be typing on computers right now, that still holds true.

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2048196 - 10/27/03 08:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I see evil as the collective result of ignorance of the self among individuals, the non-realization of the true self. Our true nature is that we are in the sight of God, and we are what He is; extended from Him so that we can return again. We all have the potential to realize this.

--------------------

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: The Cause of Evil [Re: Zahid]
    #2048372 - 10/27/03 09:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The statement that evil stems from ignorance is incomplete. It is not specified what is being ignored. Most would assume that it would be an ignorance to the far-reaching actions of an evil deed, others would assume it would be simple carelessness when making the discernment between virtuous and non-virtuous actions. Each of these has their truth, but neither of them can fully satisfy the causes for all the evil in the world.

Evil arises and is allowed to spread when there is an indifference toward others. More specifically, evil arises when it is the default view that ourselves, or that humanity, is paramount and most important. Most often we think "I am important. My happiness is important. My freedom is important." When we find it difficult to make ends meet, say we can't pay the rent this month, we can feel it in our chest: "It is important that I am happy and secure." When someone shouts or verbally abuses us, we feel something similar to: "Respect for my position is most important."

For example, if we say to another "Become very angry right now! Immediately, become enraged!" they would not be able to do so. But on the other hand, if we say "You are foul smelling and gross, and I think you are very stupid!" they will immediately become flustered and confused by anger. This is because in the second example the "I" was targeted, and most often it is the "I" which is cherished and protected as highest priority.

If an entire society conducts itself with this point of view, then there will be this essential indifference toward the welfare, happiness and freedoms of other people. Satisfying our own needs for comfort and entertainment remain first in our minds. There are varying degrees to which this can harm other people, but the more sunken we are into luxury and comfort, the less distant our natural sense of compassion will be. As one example, it is not difficult to send a thousand men into a bloddy battle when we are sitting behind a desk in a clean office. In that office, it is no different than a game of chess.

Just as we as individuals have always viewed ourselves as primary, so it is the concenus of the human species-individual which has concluded that itself is most important. More important than animals, even more important that the earth itself. No boundries are respected when it comes to accomodating our own comfort and contentment. We will line up hundreds of thousands of cows into a machine and rob them of their right to live their lives as they were intended. We will test pesticides and herbicides on chimpanzees to be certain the chemicals will not harm our children. We will allow the ozone to corrode so long as it does not cause us to suffer with skin cancer. Even the motions to reverse these harmful deeds are most often motivated by self-centered minds.

A motor vehicle manufacuturer will first assess the potential losses accumulated by lawsuits provoked by a defect in a line of vehicles produced before issuing a recall. If the legal losses are projected to be less than the cost of replacing or refining a faulty design, the manufacturer will not issue a recall. Lives are at stake with this kind of thinking in mind. Billion dollar weapons deals are signed by self-centered minds which cannot see the devestation that will be felt by real people, because they are blinded by wealth.

We possess the same mind. It is the same mind which becomes confused by anger when somebody cuts us off in traffic which is capable of perpetrating such catestrophic horrors on this world. But we need not dwell in this miserable mind for all our lives. There are many steps we can take to change it. The first step is a sincere wish to engage in the courageous act of self-exploration.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Anonymous

Re: The Cause of Evil [Re: Ped]
    #2048471 - 10/27/03 10:15 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I belive that greed is a large part of evil. So is lazyness. So is being uncaptionet. Being selfsenterd also has its role in it. Evil has to be hear ts the way the world was made bt I see this planet getting way out of balance. To many people not caring about any thing.
I guess its going to only get worse. We will have to hit rock bottom before we evan realy try to dig ourselfs out. these lazy people sending out these nasty vibes sending out these vibes of negativity it flo=ws through the whole universe. Its up to us to start puting out the good vibes.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology