Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinethirtygoats
Male
In states with medical marijuana, painkiller deaths drop by 25 percent * 1
    #20477630 - 08/25/14 11:47 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2014/08/25/States-Medical-Marijuana-Painkiller-Deaths-Drop-25

"America has a major problem with prescription pain medications like Vicodin and OxyContin. Overdose deaths from these pharmaceutical opioids have approximately tripled since 1991, and every day 46 people die of such overdoses in the United States.

However, in the 13 states that passed laws allowing for the use of medical marijuana between 1999 and 2010, 25 percent fewer people die from opioid overdoses annually.

“The difference is quite striking,” said study co-author Colleen Barry, a health policy researcher at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore. The shift showed up quite quickly and become visible the year after medical marijuana was accepted in each state, she told Newsweek.

In the study, published today August 25 in JAMA Internal Medicine, the researchers hypothesize that in states where medical marijuana can be prescribed, patients may use pot to treat pain, either instead of prescription opiates, or to supplement them—and may thus require a lower dosage that is less likely to lead to a fatal problem."

--------------------
No one knows who I am.
Therefore, I am not anyone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: In states with medical marijuana, painkiller deaths drop by 25 percent [Re: thirtygoats]
    #20477735 - 08/26/14 12:20 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

painkillers aren't a social drug

Invisibleledgrower
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: In states with medical marijuana, painkiller deaths drop by 25 percent [Re: Konyap]
    #20477826 - 08/26/14 01:01 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Illyabo said:

When I was in school when people either couldn't smoke (in somewhere like school) or wanted an alternative high for not having any weed they would take vicodens etc...

Having weed legal and available sure would stop atleast a part of that for sure (not to mention trying things like crack/meth for the same reason, like the only thing the dealer has on hand).

I think the pills should be tested and made in different ways to see if there is safer alternatives taking out the tylenol for one, and maybe making balanced isolates rather than a high dosed single isolate per pill.

Too many people die on these pills (not just the abusers even though they take more risk trying to abuse and take more and more) that should be a very straightforward drug imo. The people not abusing them should have absolutely no worries taking them, yet they do and that seems to stem from the way they are made.

--------------------
If you are interested in 600 watt leds with 10watts per bulb $115 shipped pm me. 2x for $220.

Brand new from factory; mostly red/flowering spectrum lights.

InvisibleElVatoFirme
The Thread Killer™

Re: In states with medical marijuana, painkiller deaths drop by 25 percent [Re: ledgrower]
    #20478794 - 08/26/14 10:36 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ledgrower said:
Quote:

Illyabo said:

When I was in school when people either couldn't smoke (in somewhere like school) or wanted an alternative high for not having any weed they would take vicodens etc...

Having weed legal and available sure would stop atleast a part of that for sure (not to mention trying things like crack/meth for the same reason, like the only thing the dealer has on hand).

I think the pills should be tested and made in different ways to see if there is safer alternatives taking out the tylenol for one, and maybe making balanced isolates rather than a high dosed single isolate per pill.

Too many people die on these pills (not just the abusers even though they take more risk trying to abuse and take more and more) that should be a very straightforward drug imo. The people not abusing them should have absolutely no worries taking them, yet they do and that seems to stem from the way they are made.

Getting rid of the acetaminophen would be a much-needed change.
That shit is more dangerous than the opioids they pair it with.

But at the same time, people need to look at why SO MANY people are taking opiates.  It's a bigger problem than "oh, just let's change these pills so they're safer".

As for the article, I could of told you that would happen.

--------------------
Did you know the pen
Is stronger than the knife?
And they can kill you once
But they can't kill you twice
Did you know destruction of the flesh
Is not the ending to Life?
Fear not of the Anti-Christ

- Damian Marley -

OnlineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

Re: In states with medical marijuana, painkiller deaths drop by 25 percent [Re: ElVatoFirme]
    #20478801 - 08/26/14 10:39 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I don't get the mj for pain management argument and suspect it's a placebo effect.

(so were you Eric the Red-thread killer)?

Edited by Buster_Brown (08/26/14 10:41 AM)

InvisibleElVatoFirme
The Thread Killer™

Re: In states with medical marijuana, painkiller deaths drop by 25 percent [Re: ElVatoFirme]
    #20479327 - 08/26/14 01:09 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I believe it helps pain about as much as opiates (in that it doesn't "kill" pain, it just takes your mind off it).

Cannabis has far greater uses than pain management, though pain is a great way to get a foot through the door.

And no, I'm not Eric.
Not sure who that is.  Was he another member here that used "Thread Killer"?
If so, I might change that haha

--------------------
Did you know the pen
Is stronger than the knife?
And they can kill you once
But they can't kill you twice
Did you know destruction of the flesh
Is not the ending to Life?
Fear not of the Anti-Christ

- Damian Marley -

Invisiblesunbleeder

#20479863 - 08/26/14 03:42 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

yeah right... i don't believe it

Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

Loc: Central New Jersey
Re: In states with medical marijuana, painkiller deaths drop by 25 percent [Re: thirtygoats]
    #20480502 - 08/26/14 05:49 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I really find this interesting, I'm curious as to why this is.  Maybe people are content with trying all these new strains to the point where less people are using opiates.  Maybe its because people are drinking less and eating less benzos which accounts for a large % of opiate related deaths.  Maybe more people are trying marijuana as there first drug instead of pain meds and are sticking with it.  Either way, good news.

--------------------

Offline2bittoker
Resident PMP Advocate

Re: In states with medical marijuana, painkiller deaths drop by 25 percent [Re: fapjack]
    #20482635 - 08/27/14 02:54 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

In addition to people switching from opiates to marijuana, I think Marijuana helps people off opiates.  There's a phenomena where an opiate user's pain will increase during use of the drug and the brain adjusts to long-term use.  Also, there's a disorder where the brain gets used to the constant opiate bombardment and will send pain signals re-creating the pain from the injury after its healed, when the opiates are discontinued.  I would think marijuana, especially Sativa strains, would really help in this area.

--------------------
“I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.”
"Love does not claim possession, but gives freedom"
― Rabindranath Tagore

Stuff for New Growers
Where new growers should start: RogerRabbit's PF Tek video    How it Should and Shouldn't Look 
My Simplified Bulk Growing  My OJ Shroom Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder