Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestoner2002
Stoner

Jars colonized outside, worthless inside.
    #2047728 - 10/27/03 03:02 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

My jars have been going for about 3 weeks and looked 100% colonized for a few days.  I took one and placed it in the glovebox and dug in with a steril spoon.  To my suprise the substrate was still birdseed from about a centimeter deep, all the way through the jar.  :frown:  I shook 3 times during colonization.  I didnt use all of the jar for g2g transfers, instead I saved about half of it to examine it and determine what the fuck could of caused this.  The grain was dry and crumbly, mycellium could have a hard time colonizing it I suppose.  I have different jars, each with different water/grain ratios so Im not totally pissed about this.  Hopefully the others are colonizing all the way through.  The jars were in an incubator at 85 degrees so temp isnt a problem.  This is my first time growing so I view this as more of a learning experience than a failure.

Any words of wisdom?  Have you had this problem?  Was the jar too dry? 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: Jars colonized outside, worthless inside. [Re: stoner2002]
    #2047747 - 10/27/03 03:09 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

What is your incubator?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Jars colonized outside, worthless inside. [Re: stoner2002]
    #2047753 - 10/27/03 03:12 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Was the jar too dry?

Sounds like it. How did you provide filtration? How did you prepare the birdseed?

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Jars colonized outside, worthless inside. [Re: dog]
    #2047782 - 10/27/03 03:23 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

If you actually shaked the substrate and all of it broke apart and mixed up I can't see how it could not be colonized only on the inside. If the substrate was a solid block and it stayed this way shaking it shouldn't do much. This is why stamets reccomends using a bald tire to break it up, etc., etc., but, honestly, I like bags because you can break them up without opening the bags and see what's inside, mix them up, etc., etc. It's likely you just need to give it more time to colonize.

It's also likely (like said above) that the substrate was too dry, but if you can shake it you should be able to mix everything up and get an even (if not complete) colonization.

Just my take.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags