Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblepsychopsilocyber
Male

Know your substance-MAOI's
    #2044598 - 10/26/03 12:07 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

So this weekend my friend comes over and says he'll be eating mushrooms later in the night and asked if he could have some syrian rue extract. He knows a lot about it from what I told him, what not to do, why to do it, what happens in your brain when you do it and so forth. Well I asked him are you sure you want to do this? I dont know if you know what you're in for. He says yes and I trust his judgement because I know he's not easily broken down by hallucinogens. So I give him the maoi's. I talked to him this morning and he said he ate a quarter with the extract, I know what that's like, anyway he had the best trip of his life....Even though he had an old friend with him, a bit of an arigant(sp?) guy, our age (17ish). His friend thought it was unfare that he didnt get maoi's and decided to cry about it and my friend ended up giving in(not right away) and giving him half of the extract to go along with his quarter of mushrooms. Buddy tried to kill my friend 2 times, flipped his fucken wig piece. At one point my friend wakes up to see buddy walking around naked masturbating and laughing. My friend got the fuck outta there. Buddy says he woke up and there was meat from the freezer all over his room and he was naked and it was cold and his friends were gone.

So as you can see this experience can be very good, and very bad. Not for everyone. As for me it's my favorite.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: psychopsilocyber]
    #2045357 - 10/26/03 05:29 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

This type of negative experience can happen without rue, of course, and on any major psychedelic. The kid did not freak out because of the p. harmala, but because he has a strong, intact ego and was perhaps not in the best set/setting.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Anonymous

Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: Xochitl]
    #2046254 - 10/27/03 12:21 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Xochitl - or the food that he had before the harmala was taken affected his brain...

don't fuck around with MAOI's if you understand them. YOU CAN DIE FROM THEM!! with the wrong food. please be careful.

I am glad you posted it, psychopsilocyber. I like to see awareness like that. its a reality check for people.

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: ]
    #2046333 - 10/27/03 12:53 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

from erowid's MAOI vault:

Quote:

Possible Side Effects of MAOIs

Most Common Side Effects

dry mouth
light-headedness, dizziness
low blood pressure
headache (mild)
sleepiness, tiredness, weakness
trouble sleeping
muscle twitching during sleep
shakiness, trembling, restlessness
blurred vision
weight gain
reduced tolerance for alcohol
decreased amount of urine
decreased sexual ability
increased appetite (especially for sweets) or weight gain

Less common side effects

High Blood pressure may occur if you eat restricted foods or medications. Early symptoms of rising blood pressure may include stiff neck, headache, palpitations, chest pain, nausea or vomiting, flushing or chills, apprehension, pallor or sweating. This can lead to hypertensive crisis (extremely high blood pressure) and when severe and can be life-threatening.

Stop taking the MAO Inhibitor and get emergency help if you experience signs of very high blood pressure including:

Severe chest pain
fast or slow heartbeat;
Severe headaches
Severe Dizziness or lightheadedness
increased sweating (possibly with fever or cold, clammy skin)
nausea and vomiting
stiff or sore neck
swelling of feet or lower legs
increased sensitivity of eyes to light
enlarged pupils

Rare Side Effects

Dark urine
fever
skin rash
slurred speech
sore throat
staggering walk
yellow eyes or skin

Some side effects are not serious. However, tell your doctor if these bother you or do not go away, or if you experience any other unexplained side effects.

MAOIs do not necessarily cause someone to have a psychotic reaction, as you can see. Perhaps the potentizing effect of harmala + psilocybes was too strong for this individual. His intact ego (his crying for not having is evidence of this) combined with a possible lack of experience and a possible poor set/setting planted the seed for this episode.

Yes, MAOI can be dangerous in untrained, uncareful hands, and everyone should be well-versed in the required safety precautions, but no need to create hysteria my friend.

Quote:

Buddy tried to kill my friend 2 times, flipped his fucken wig piece. At one point my friend wakes up to see buddy walking around naked masturbating and laughing. My friend got the fuck outta there. Buddy says he woke up and there was meat from the freezer all over his room and he was naked and it was cold and his friends were gone.

Sounds like a classic badtrip and not like any of the side effects listed above.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: psychopsilocyber]
    #2046676 - 10/27/03 05:18 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

back in the day, we had various stuffs... a friend was having a music-jam at his folks' farm out in the country... some cactus chips were available, as well as some harmala salts & a buncha other stuff...
we were zoomin' pretty good, the music was out there, the neighbors cows had to be awake :wink: ... & the phone rang and silly paul answered it (always a bad idea whilst trippin' :wink: ...) -- some sorta personal biz, but he got really pissed off during the conversation.. and the "rage" hormones that his body cranked out lasted for _hours_ instead of minutes... so, don't get angry while doin' MAOIs i guess, hehheh...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Anonymous

Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: gnrm23]
    #2047385 - 10/27/03 12:43 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

wow thats a cool story.. I can't believe he was mad for that long only because of a MAOI's. hehe I will remember that one for MAOI's.  :wink: :smile:

OfflineBhairabas
Stranger

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: ]
    #2047634 - 10/27/03 01:59 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Same here after doing syrian rue I almost never trip without it.. I find it makes the visuals more intense but but easier on the brain.. It also makes the come down alot easier.. All my friends I told about it said the same..

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: Bhairabas]
    #2047697 - 10/27/03 02:23 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Syrian Rue seems to have a very calming effect for most people when taken with psilocybes.

--------------------

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
    #2047719 - 10/27/03 02:59 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I can't believe he was mad for that long only because of a MAOI's. hehe I will remember that one for MAOI's

No, sorry. The phone guy gnrm32 spoke of did not became angry only because of a MAOI. That is silly. He was on a trip and was presented with a surprise and abrupt stimuli that warped his set (emotional well being), and he reacted negatively.

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
    #2047771 - 10/27/03 03:18 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

pharmacologically, his body pumped out some adrenaline/noradrenaline from gettin' super-PO'd from the phone conversation, and with his monoamineoxidase enzyme inhibited, it couldn't metabolize...

--------------------
not old enough to care

Invisibletheshiftingwalls
Divine state

Loc: Residing in thee Universa...
    #2049512 - 10/28/03 12:58 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Never mix MAOI's with 5-meo-AMT. You could DIE!

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: theshiftingwalls]
    #2049669 - 10/28/03 02:31 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Why the fuck would you think that?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: zeta]
    #2049746 - 10/28/03 04:08 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

> Never mix MAOI's with 5-meo-AMT. You could DIE!

Reference, please?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: theshiftingwalls]
    #2050510 - 10/28/03 12:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Your a fucking idiot, why do you still post here?

PLEASE stop posting misinformation.

(mods - why do you not consider an IP ban? This poster is a repeated abuser of the rules.)

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA
Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: PDU]
    #2050672 - 10/28/03 01:38 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I would if i could man, but posting misinformation isnt really against the rules, neither is stupidity. although i wish they were sometimes. and theshifting walls, a lot of your posts are borderline flame/offtopic. please dont post unless you have some credible helpful information, Mkay.

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: Infrared]
    #2050918 - 10/28/03 03:04 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"you could die"
~
wayyyy back in the day some friends came upon 6 capsules, which they divided between the 2 of them...
so each person ended up disposing of:
200 mg harmine HCl
200 mg harmaline HCl
25 mg 5F-aMT (yep, 5-fluoro-alphamethyl-tryptamine!)
this while they were out camping, with no cold coca-cola or other civilized amenties...
and from what they reported to me, they mostly just _wished_ they could die...
in retrospect, it seem possible that the material they had on hand could have been adequate for 4 people... if ya live, maybe ya learn...

--------------------
not old enough to care

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA
    #2051010 - 10/28/03 03:35 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

you could also die from drinking 3 gallons of water in under an hour. you could die from lots of things, i wouldnt reccomend anyone take an maoi with alpha-o-dimethylserotonin. your mao's in your body cant even effect it one bit so it would be rather redundant to try and enhance its effects. and if im not mistaken harmaline and tetra-harmaline activate almost the identical sites as 5-meo-amt. it just seems like a long long overload and a non enjoyable experience. i think shiftingwalls is thinking of the alpha-methyl-phenethylamine(amphetamine) combination with an maoi, which is most certainly deadly.

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
    #2052479 - 10/29/03 12:03 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

pharmacologically, his body pumped out some adrenaline/noradrenaline from gettin' super-PO'd from the phone conversation, and with his monoamineoxidase enzyme inhibited, it couldn't metabolize...

Can anyone else confirm this?

--------------------

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: Infrared]
    #2055575 - 10/29/03 11:32 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DeepBlue42 said:
i think shiftingwalls is thinking of the alpha-methyl-phenethylamine(amphetamine) combination with an maoi, which is most certainly deadly.

Got a reference?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Know your substance-MAOI's [Re: zeta]
    #2056350 - 10/30/03 04:45 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

> Got a reference?

Yes.

Do not take amphetamine if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), tranylcypromine (Parnate), or phenelzine (Nardil) in the last 14 days.

From: http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v06n1/06158mao.html

Contraindicated Drugs: (with an MAOI)
amphetamines, cocaine, MDMA, opiates, barbiturates, deconjestants & allergy medications, cold medications, diet pills, methylphenidate, asthma inhalers, meperidine, levodopa, dopamine, carbamazapine, certain antihypertensive medications, sympathomimetic amines (direct & indirect acting) including psuedoephedrine & ephidrine

From: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/maois/maois_info4.shtml

combining an MAO inhibitor plus MDMA has led to a hypertensive crisis and a near-fatal response in many people!!! This could be anticipated because MDMA is a substituted amphetamine, and stimulants should not be combined with an MAO inhibitor!!! DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

I could go on, but I wont.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies