Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Fully Automated Fruiting Chamber-Precision Humidistat (P [Re: Diploid]
    #2046110 - 10/26/03 11:39 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thats a very nice setup your friend has there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNewSpore
Just Starting toSee the Light

Re: Fully Automated Fruiting Chamber-Precision Humidistat (P [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #2046734 - 10/27/03 06:25 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Skippy runs a similar set up.

Auto mister & fan but without the humidity control. He monitors with Hygrometers too. It does maintain around 97% accurately. Diploid....you are so right the humidity does fluctuate in the chamber when it changes outside but he has not noticed any considerable major diference though in his first flushes. Only his others

Diploid how are the 2nd 3rd flushes? Have you noticed any increase or better pin sets wiht this super accurate set up?

That might be where Skip is going wrong

--------------------
Be in truth and watch the magic happen.
SBP TEK

Invisiblear393
old timer
Male
Loc: VT
Re: Fully Automated Fruiting Chamber-Precision Humidistat (P [Re: NewSpore]
    #2047002 - 10/27/03 10:08 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

man i got's to get me a digi cam so i can throw up some of what my fish has been doing.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fully Automated Fruiting Chamber-Precision Humidistat (P [Re: kosmic_charlie]
    #2047125 - 10/27/03 10:49 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Thanks for answering all my q's so far.

No problem Kosmic; I'm happy to help!

Quote:

What casing recipe does your friend use?

OK.  I don't think the specific casing material really makes a huge difference, but over time I've converged on the following recipe which works very well for my gourmet and medicinal mushrooms. :tongue:

First, I start off with a 33/33/33 mix of peat/verm/coir.  I like the peat because it's so dammed airy and fluffy when moistened just right.  The verm provides moisture, and the coir provides more moisture and contributes to the airiness.  It also distinctly changes color when dry, so I get a really good visual indicator of when it's time to mist without having to touch the casing.

Next, I add 15% by volume crushed oyster shells.  As mycelium metabolism progresses, it releases acids that drive the pH of the casing down.  The crushed oyster shells both add a rough, open texture to the casing, and over time, they dissolve and gently counter the mycelium's acid secretions.  They help to stabilize (buffer) the casing's pH.

The next thing I add to the casing material is 5% by volume diatomaceous earth to keep any flies, worms, eggs, and miscellaneous bugs from making a home in my casings.  DE is the fossilized skeletons of siliceous marine and fresh water organisms, particularly diatoms and other algae. These skeletons are made of hydrated amorphous silica or opal. The particles are actually very tiny, sharp shards so small that the material feels like talcum powder. This is easily picked up by the hairy bodies of most insects where it scratches through their body causing a rapid loss of moisture; the insects dry up and die.

DE is harmless to humans, though I'd avoid breathing it, and is frequently added to grain on farms to protect it from insects. You can get it at any well-stocked aquarium store; it's used to filter water.

Once all those dry ingredients are mixed well, I spray on enough water to thoroughly moisten but not quite reach field capacity.  It takes a really hard squeeze to get a drop of water.

At this point, I measure the pH with a pH meter.  The peat will normally drop the pH below optimum, which for cubies is 6.8 to 7.2.  I add a tiny bit of hydrated lime (.25 teaspoon/liter of casing) and measure the pH again.  I repeat until the pH reaches about 7.5.  This is slightly out of the optimal range, but the mycelium quickly drives the pH down into the optimal range even with the buffering provided by the crushed oyster shells.  Be careful with hydrated lime.  It's very strong and a tiny amount will go a long way.  It will also cause you a lot of grief if you get it on your hands and touch your eyes.  Treat it with respect!  You can also use limestone flour; it's far less potent so you'll have to use more to get the same effect on the pH.  By the way, don't ever use dolomitic lime.  It has too-high a concentration of magnesium which has been shown to retard pin formation. 

When I'm happy with the pH and moisture, I pasteurize for a few minutes in the microwave in case there were some undetected little critters in my peat, then I let it cool, check the moisture and pH one last time, and case.

Hope this makes sense...

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fully Automated Fruiting Chamber-Precision Humidistat (P [Re: NewSpore]
    #2047137 - 10/27/03 10:55 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid how are the 2nd 3rd flushes? Have you noticed any increase or better pin sets wiht this super accurate set up?

The second and third flushes are lower-yielding, but the mushrooms seem to be more potent. For dosing consistency, my friend homogenizes all the grows into one big batch. That way, any given mass of mushrooms will always contain about the same mass of alkaloids.

Quote:

That might be where Skip is going wrong

I dunno. Tell me more about your grow. What substrate, how do you formulate your casing material, how deep are the layers, how often do you fan and mist??

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

OfflineNewSpore
Just Starting toSee the Light

#2047172 - 10/27/03 11:12 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Good post on the casing. Skippy has been playing with peat too. As far as the crushed oyster shell that might have something to do with it. Skippy has to start adding that....

average depth 3-4"
cased 60/40
mister runs 14 times per day 10 minutes per cycle keeping it a 95-97% RH
fan runs 4 times a day 2 miutes per cycle

Pastuerized poo mostly..
Recently a new super secret mad scientist mixed substrate that he is planing on creating a Tek in the next few weeks and will post the play by play then.

Average first flush but 2nds and 3rds are nothing to brag about....

--------------------
Be in truth and watch the magic happen.
SBP TEK

Offlinekosmic_charlie
Truckin' in style
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep Elem
    #2053651 - 10/29/03 12:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for such an informative post on your casing practices.  You've given me some really ideas. :smile:

--------------------

Goin' where the water tastes like wine.

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Fully Automated Fruiting Chamber-Precision Humidistat (P [Re: kosmic_charlie]
    #2082802 - 11/07/03 11:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Bizzump

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fully Automated Fruiting Chamber-Precision Humidistat (P [Re: tekramrepus]
    #2083096 - 11/08/03 03:20 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

lookin good, diploid.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinelittlejohn747
addict

Re: Fully Automated Fruiting Chamber-Precision Humidistat (P [Re: automan]
    #2083253 - 11/08/03 05:44 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

damm....i am speachless, to think this all started with jars and any kind of heat source and now it is to the point of fully automated chambers, thats great man

Offlineinner_adept
shrmstr

Loc: USA
    #2199606 - 12/24/03 11:07 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

nice setup

Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
Re: Fully Automated Fruiting Chamber-Precision Humidistat (Pics) [Re: Diploid]
    #2200641 - 12/25/03 02:56 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I have a few brief questions:

How is the internal fan synchronized to the humidifier? (Is it triggered by the humidistat controller as well, or ?)

Is there any form of filtration to reduce contaminants/air-born particles entering via the fan intake or the C02 exhaust holes that were cut in the plastic? Or is a clean room and robust substrate/casing sufficient?

Has thermostatic control been added as well, and if not, what, if any steps have been made at temperature control?

Very informative post, thank you!

Offlinemickywilliams2
journeyman
    #2200887 - 12/25/03 11:43 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

That fan that you have inside the chanber, is it designed for high humidity? If not, Have you had to replace it yet?
Ive b een interested in finding a small fan that is built for high humidity.

Did that ultrasonic come with a fan or did you rig something to push the air?

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fully Automated Fruiting Chamber-Precision Humidistat (Pics) [Re: bowling-name]
    #2204511 - 12/27/03 06:39 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

How is the internal fan synchronized to the humidifier? (Is it triggered by the humidistat controller as well, or ?)

There are two fans, one is on the same circuit as the humidifier and is triggered by the humidistat. Its purpose is to diffuse the mist from the humidifier so that things don't get wet or waterlogged inside the chamber. It simply circulates the air and mist without introducing any outside air.

The second fan is on a timer. It runs for 15 minutes every four hours. Its purpose is to introduce fresh air and remove CO2 from the chamber. This one's intake is vented to the outside with a simple air conditioner filter to keep out gross contaminants. There's no need for a fancy HEPA filter at this stage because the casings are fairly well able to take care of themselves.

Quote:

Is there any form of filtration to reduce contaminants/air-born particles entering via the fan intake or the C02 exhaust holes that were cut in the plastic? Or is a clean room and robust substrate/casing sufficient?

Just an AC filter from the supermarket. The exhaust holes are covered with a flap of plastic to form a one-way valve. When the ventilation fan times in, the pressure in the chamber pushes open the flap to allow the air to escape; when the fan stops, the flap prevents any dirt from coming back in.

Quote:

Has thermostatic control been added as well, and if not, what, if any steps have been made at temperature control?

No. I experimented with a refrigeration system, but in the end it was more trouble than it was worth. The room the chamber lives in dips to about 70F at night and rises to about 75F in the day; that's close enough to optimal that I haven't found a need to control the temperature more tightly.

Quote:

Very informative post, thank you!

I'm glad you liked it!

--------------------
Republican Values:

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fully Automated Fruiting Chamber-Precision Humidistat (P [Re: mickywilliams2]
    #2204527 - 12/27/03 06:46 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

That fan that you have inside the chanber, is it designed for high humidity? If not, Have you had to replace it yet?
Ive b een interested in finding a small fan that is built for high humidity.

It's just a regular fan. I was worried initially that the high humidity might cause problems, but it's been running for a while now with no trouble. There's very little condensation inside, though, due to the use of the diffusing fan on the humidifier outlet, and that might be why the fans are working so well.

Quote:

Did that ultrasonic come with a fan or did you rig something to push the air?

Both fans are rigged. One on a timer, the other on the humidistat with the humidifier.

--------------------
Republican Values:

Offlinenife
I'm Dead
Male
    #2204696 - 12/27/03 08:20 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Thats some amazing stuff.
Has anyone found a cheaper way to make an auto-humidistat ? I have a decent amount of soldering skill just wondering if there is anyway to make the equivilant without dropping most of my paycheck.

Thamks again for all the info.

--------------------
Protect Your Rights
Freedom Card

OfflineConioConceboias
Stranger

#2210386 - 12/30/03 05:26 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

great, your information and pics are just what i was searching for.
i'm just trying to get a greenhouse like yours here in germany, but i didn't find one yet...
but you gave me a lot of ideas i can use when i have one...
great setup!

i have a question about the light:
your light comes from the side. don't the shrooms grow to the direction where the light comes from?
yours are all growing upwards...

Offlinepietruk
Loc: Midwest
    #2210933 - 12/30/03 11:43 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Nice set up. Thanks for the detail and ideas.

OfflinePikalo99
Stranger
    #2211857 - 12/31/03 01:06 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

What are the actual dimensions of the greenhouse? I have found it online, but I need to know if it will fit where I want to put it. Particularly, I need to know Heighth and depth. Thanks.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fully Automated Fruiting Chamber-Precision Humidistat (Pics) [Re: ConioConceboias]
    #2216834 - 01/03/04 02:41 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

your light comes from the side. don't the shrooms grow to the direction where the light comes from?
yours are all growing upwards...

Shrooms do grow toward the source of light, but that only happens with prolonged exposure to light. In this case, the light is only on for about 30 minutes a day. That's more than enough to trigger pinning if all the other conditions are right, but it's not enough to cause phototropic (toward the light) growth.

So, the net effect is that the mushrooms get most of their growth direction cues from gravity rather than from light.

A lot of novice mushroom growers obsess over lighting, but it's been demonstrated that even a few milliseconds of fairly dim light per day is enough to trigger pinning.

--------------------
Republican Values:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck