Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomie_Scooby
Stranger
Outdoor Colonization on Shredded Wheat (Pic)
    #2046846 - 10/27/03 08:28 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

My friend doesn't have the money right now to get a terrarium/fruiting chamber set up, so he decided to use 2 cc's of spores outside, just for the hell of it, until he can find a job and get some money. Well, last thursday he dug a hole in some fertile soil next to his garage about 1 1/2 inches deep by 24 inches long. Then he stuck about 2 cups of Shredded wheat (The Cereal) into a blender, making a moderate-sized grain mixture enhanced by oatmeal. this was then sterilized and soaked for one hour. He then placed the weat mixture into the hole about 2 cm deep, and applied .5 cc's of spore in 4 spots along the strip. After this, he watered the strip and went inside.

The next 2 days, nothing happened. On sunday, A cold front came through (He lives in Houston, BTW) Bringing Lo temps in the 40s/50s and Highs in the mid 70s. Well, this morning he went outside and saw a very solid web of Mycelial Growth. The pic attached is of one of the far corners that he broke off from about 5 inches away from the closest point where spores were placed.

By his unexperienced estimation, the cake is about 3/8ths colonized. He is planning to break up the cake into 3 inch long strips and place them onto a Cow manure/Straw/Misc Grains patch. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinearex7tt
crunk
Re: Outdoor Colonization on Shredded Wheat (Pic) [Re: Shroomie_Scooby]
    #2047039 - 10/27/03 10:19 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

mushrooms are usually grown in a sterile environment, i didnt even know this was possible

OfflineShroomie_Scooby
Stranger
Re: Outdoor Colonization on Shredded Wheat (Pic) [Re: arex7tt]
    #2047129 - 10/27/03 10:51 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

which is why i posted it for my friend - it's nifty.

OfflineForevrgrounded
    #2047162 - 10/27/03 11:06 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I'm impressed, good job.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Outdoor Colonization on Shredded Wheat (Pic) [Re: Forevrgrounded]
    #2047225 - 10/27/03 11:39 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Please don't take this post the wrong way. It is just a few things that might help you increase your chances with growing outdoors.

While that looks as though you may be getting good results, there is one way that you could have increased the odds in your favor greatly. I noticed, as I'm sure you have also, a few spots of growth that are quite colorful. These are other micro organisms taking advantage of your hard work in preparing a nice nutritious place to start a family. By sterilizing your substrate and then placing it outside, you have provided a wonderful place for bacterial graffiti artists to paint. That doesn't seem to be much of a problem as you obviously have mycelial grow from your spores, but it may haunt your bed later. You mushroom mycelia are going to have to fight it out with these other inhabitants for property rights.

Now I'd just like to suggest a few ways that you could have upped your chances of claiming that land for your shrooms.

You say that you don't have the money for a fruiting chamber setup. That sux. I've been there myself when I started out. But, if you live in a mild climate (warm enough through the winter which is soon approaching)you don't need one. One thing that doesn't cost much to produce is an incubator. Go through your house and think like McGyver. There has to be some way that you can cheaply (if not freely) heat up a few jars to 80-85 degrees F. Fix up some PF jars and incubate them in your jerry rigged hotbox. Once those are colonized, then spawn it outside to some straw/poo. The survival rate will raise exponentially. Also there is no need to sterilize anything that is going outside. That just helps contams to take root big time. Pasteurizing would be better, but not really neccessary.

At any rate, I love to see inovation and I'm glad to see that you have gotten some results.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineDMJ
creepyatmosphere

Loc: Dungeon
Re: Outdoor Colonization on Shredded Wheat (Pic) [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2047309 - 10/27/03 12:15 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

arex7tt, wow, you mean mushrooms were created in a lab?!?!? I thought they originated OUTSIDE! By the way, haven't you read any of the information in the Shroomery? Outdoor cultivtion is a BIG part of mycological research. Many people do it. Not unheard of. Also, outdoors is WAY more sterile than your house! "Don't believe me? Toss a couple pieces of bread outside, and see what happens" <<<---I got this from the Shrromery. I tried it. NO MOLD. Now, toss a couple slices anywhere in your house, and see how quick it molds. Not trying to be rude, just figured by the 10 Shrooms, you knew a lot about it, and could add this to your knowledge.

Scooby- good job with your project. Though the pic isn't too big, it does seem as though there may be a little cobweb mold. Try to mist it with the h2o2/water solution. Also, if you try this experiment again, may I suggest working outdoors, without any sterlization. My cousins cousin did this to success. No sterlizing, no pasteurizing. Just used the 'hated' high Ph, potting soil, mixed with BRF, innoculated almost the same way. Isn't this a fun, ever learning hobby?

Peace

--------------------
I come alive in the darkness.

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: Outdoor Colonization on Shredded Wheat (Pic) [Re: DMJ]
    #2047601 - 10/27/03 01:43 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I think this sucks no offense or anything. don't get me wrong when i was first starting out i boiled some brown rice through it in a tupperware container and innoculated it. of course it smelled like the cats ass in a few days but it had fucking growth man.

brf=3.50
verm=2.65
12 jars=7.50
tuperware container=2.50
syringe=15.00
read the pf tek=0.00
knowledge=priceless

stick the tupperware on top of fridge with thermometor. check it see if its at 81 or 85 degrees it may or may not be. but ill bet its fucking close man.And that can be ur incubator.

Offlinestudent
Stranger

Re: Outdoor Colonization on Shredded Wheat (Pic) [Re: DMJ]
    #2047612 - 10/27/03 01:49 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

to add on to what ekstaza said about the incubator, a freind of mine is using a cardboard box for an incubator. He has a desk lamp shining on it to keep the tempurature up. Or try thrift store, you can always find cool shit there for almost nothing.

either way, keep us posted. If that works, you may be able to develop the true poorman's tek.

good luck

OfflineShroomie_Scooby
Stranger
Re: Outdoor Colonization on Shredded Wheat (Pic) [Re: student]
    #2047630 - 10/27/03 01:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the replies. Added the H202 to the mister. temps are starting to get up into the lower 70s now, so it's getting closer to ideal. Putting a towel over the patch overnight, just to keep it a little bit warmer than the ambient air. Another pic will come when there's significantly more growth, maybe when (hopefully) it starts pinning.

Once again, thanks for the replies and advice.

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #2047669 - 10/27/03 02:15 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

how do you get the shroom ratings?

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: Outdoor Colonization on Shredded Wheat (Pic) [Re: supra]
    #2047688 - 10/27/03 02:21 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i tell you what there is probably a 1% chance this is going to work.
so if it does i will supply you with everything it takes to start a good operation. if it doesn't, read the faqs and save 40 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures