Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblereflectedlight
in town untilthe blood flows
 User Gallery

Loc: aether
A real halloween thread..
    #2046849 - 10/27/03 10:29 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I am no expert on the subject, but I have read a few websites today and summarized for you all.

Halloween is also known as All Hallow?s Eve, aka Feast of the Dead, aka Samhain (a sabbath for modern pagans?) The Celts are the first recorded to practice it. It was a day of honoring the dead and Samhain, the lord of death. People dressed as dead relatives. Some offered food and drink to keep spirits at bay. (I also read some extreme druids did sacrifice animals and men.)

Then the Celts were conquered, their practice got absorbed by the Romans and became a joint festival, also honoring Pomona. Once Christianity started to flourish, the celebration got mixed with their myths of demons and evil spirits. It was introduced to the U.S. by the British while the were populating the colonies, even though the puritans were against it. Now the celebration is, for most, a childrens holiday, in which over a billion dollars are spent on candy and costumes each.

This occured to me... The ?witches? who were burned, drowned or crushed because of the Witch Trials and The Inquisition... a good many of them may have been using psychoactive plants/fungii. And people who do such today are still considered evil, are trialed if caught, and locked away to rot to death in prison.

--------------------
at this point i think we can be relatively certain seperation exists as a fallacy of finite perception, and the only barrier to infinite creativity is a preimposed notion of certainty and artificial conditioning. nothing is without origin

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
Re: A real halloween thread.. [Re: reflectedlight]
    #2046871 - 10/27/03 10:41 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

The whole thing of witches riding on broomsticks is meant to come from housewives smearing the psychoactive root/plant hebane on broomsticks and inserting it up their vaginas as the tissue is highly absorbant. Quite amusing IMO.

oh and while im in bashing mode, how come the christians have gone over to the middle eastern countries to apologise for the crusades. Yet there has been no mention of reconciliation for the wiccans, for the witch hunts. grrr

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1
Re: A real halloween thread.. [Re: Oook]
    #2046880 - 10/27/03 10:46 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well, it's not exactly a "Christian" thing. Murder is a most unchristian thing to do. Lots of religions have their atrocities It's more along the lines of the power of human stupidity and how damnned callous and vicious the "mob mentality" can be. Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous

#2046923 - 10/27/03 11:14 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Oook
The whole thing of witches riding on broomsticks is meant to come from housewives smearing the psychoactive root/plant hebane on broomsticks and inserting it up their vaginas as the tissue is highly absorbant. Quite amusing IMO.

lmao, seriously?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: A real halloween thread.. [Re: ]
    #2047821 - 10/27/03 05:34 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

iamhimheisme said:
Quote:

Oook

lmao, seriously? 

Well, I never heard it as that much, but I have heard that the riding on broomsticks came from going about their business in their gardens while "riding" (hehe) a dildo, for the pleasurable effects, of course.

Just what I heard.. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: A real halloween thread.. [Re: Le_Canard]
    #2048558 - 10/27/03 10:32 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
Well, it's not exactly a "Christian" thing. Murder is a most unchristian thing to do.

Then why is it that so many people have been murdered in the name of christianity? Most of the western religions (christianity, islam, judaism) cause more grief than they are worth. Why can't people forget about religion and just try to get along?

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Anonymous

Re: A real halloween thread.. [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2048626 - 10/27/03 10:41 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ekstaza said:
Why can't people forget about religion and just try to get along?

you said it. im not positive on this, but i think the majority of wars have been in the name of religion. awfully stupid if you ask me.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: A real halloween thread.. [Re: ]
    #2048664 - 10/27/03 10:47 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

As far as I am concerned, the bible, the torah, and the Koran should only have had one word in each. LOVE. No other criteria for living. No set way to go about it. Just LOVE.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Anonymous

#2049103 - 10/28/03 01:06 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

well thatd be good but i dont think the contents of these books is the problem. its when people take it as how to live your life instead of just a guide. i find that its organized religion is the biggest problem. those disgusting people like benny hinn who wear expensive suits and sit on golden thrones claiming they heal people with the touch of god while taking money from their supporters. organized religion is the worst thing that has ever happened to spirituality and the worst thing to happen to people's beliefs. religion is used as a tool to take advantage of those in need of guidance by greedy assholes. i have nothing wrong with people believing in god but those who support organized religion baffle me and i hope that in some way i can help them find their way and break free of organized religion. im not in any way trying to say that ive got everything figured out, but it seems to me that these people are being taken advantage of and i just think thats wrong. because of this ive come to a sort of dilemma, do i try to help these people see that they dont need organized religion to be spiritual or to find god or do i let them think what they want?

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #2049815 - 10/28/03 07:23 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Perhaps not so much inserting, as straddling, like the illustrations show. The subsequent experience of flight from the Belladonna ['beautiful lady'] alkaloids may have been a collective experience, hence similar descriptions of the Witch's Sabbat.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #2049825 - 10/28/03 07:31 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Killing in the name of GOD would be more accurate than saying killing in the name of religion, since religions are all about traditions that serve only to acknowledge GOD. Therefore, your question really is 'why can't people forget about GOD?' Well...the warmongers have forgotten about GOD, and are fighting for their man-made, Earthly traditions - their 'team.' Religious wars are a bastardization of such traditions. Fighting to protect the innocent is self-defense, but fighting to conquer for the sake of forcing a religious ideology is just another version of Earthly conquest. Nothing spiritual about it.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Re: A real halloween thread.. [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2049925 - 10/28/03 09:12 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well then let's put the warmongers and the religions both in a cage and let them kill each other off. Then the rest of us might be able to enjoy the planet in peace.

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology