Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFungiJumping
Stranger
cakes too wet to finish colonizing
    #2045870 - 10/26/03 09:43 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I used six 250ml chemistry beakers with rye flour and vermiculite to start my cakes, and covered the top with a triple layer of aluminum foil before sterilizing. I basically followed the PF tek for simple minds to the letter. Except that I used two 20ml syringes to infect the 6 jars, which I think added a bit too much water.

It's been a little over 3 weeks since I infected them. The 3 layers of foil have stayed on tightly, and I have the jars in some weak indirect light at room temp (about 26C or 77F). The mycelia have colonized the jars well, and none of them have been contaminated.

But they haven't made as much progress as they should have, and are showing no signs of being ready to fruit. The white strands seem very reluctant to colonize the bottoms of the jars, where a small amount of water has collected. There's condensation on the walls too.

How should I deal with these jars so they'll fruit by mid November? I thought about inverting the jars, loosening the foil to allow a bit of air in, or even doing a bit of both, and letting any excess water drip out. Are any of these good ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: cakes too wet to finish colonizing [Re: FungiJumping]
    #2045877 - 10/26/03 09:47 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

You want to flip em over. But if the substrate is too dry than gravity will prevail. Your containers are at fruiting temps right now so they are undoubtedly colonizing slowly.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures