Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
No child left behind,just decieved
    #2044629 - 10/26/03 12:23 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Every Civics Lesson a Lie
A BUZZFLASH READER CONTRIBUTION
by Jeff Horton
When this started, I said to my daughters "Don't worry. This is America. Even the most rabid conservative wouldn't forego his principles to support an idiot."
When I saw them destroy a genuine American hero during the primaries, I said, "Don't worry, this is America. The voters will see through this."
Before the election I said "Don't worry. This is America. He's lost every debate. He's inarticulate. He has no grasp of foreign politics. The republicans know there is no way to win this election, so they've sacrificed this bozo and they're saving up for 2004."
When Florida was contested I said "Don't worry. This is America. We count all the votes."
When the Florida Supreme Court ordered a recount I said "Don't worry. This is America. Republicans have always embraced states' rights. There is no way the US Supreme Court will interfere."
When he was sworn in I said "Don't worry. This is America. He's utterly incompetent. We know it. They know it. Even he knows it. The House and Senate will prevent anything stupid from happening."
On 9-11 I talked to my oldest daughter in New York. "Don't worry. This is America. He isn't in charge of anything. Cooler heads will prevail. We'll get through this. The entire world is on our side."
Before the invasion I said "Don't worry. This is America. There are too many obstacles in his way. He'd have to get consent from congress. Then he'd have to overcome massive opposition from the public. We couldn't do something like this without allies, and 90% of the world is against the idea."
When he lied about his peccadilloes, about his arrest, about his shady deals, about education, about taxes, about payoffs, about pollution, about his ties to the Saudis, about his military service, about his cover-ups of 9-11 and Enron, about the weapons in Iraq I said "Don't worry. This is America. Even the most devoted practitioner of conservative politics will be appalled and disgusted with this behavior. He'll be condemned in the halls of congress and on every front page of every newspaper in the country."
A few months ago I said "Don't worry. This is America. No president has ever gotten away with a deliberate lie in a State of the Union Address."
When it became clear that someone in the administration had revealed the name of a clandestine CIA operative I said "This needs to be addressed. The president cannot afford to be antagonistic to the prime source of information regarding the safety of the nation. This is America. We don't permit vindictiveness to overshadow our security."
When I heard that he was going to address the UN I said "Don't worry. He'll surely apologize to our old friends and admit that he was wrong. He'll explain that he lied, that he misled everyone, and we'll regain our status."
My daughters were able to read when they entered school. I bored them to distraction with my lectures on democracy and history and diversity and how wonderful it was that we live in this marvelous place at this marvelous time. I somehow led them to believe that our system was so well designed that not even an incidentally-elected imbecile could, no matter how well-intentioned, screw it up. It is painful to admit that I was wrong. It is more than painful. It means that every civics lesson I ever gave my daughters was a lie. I gave them hope that did not exist. I gave them promise that I had no way of providing. I gave them assurance that there were protections in place, when in fact there were none. Not the press. Not the citizens. Not even world opinion. My granddaughters may someday ask me what I did when my country was in peril. My answer may only be that I wrote this letter.
Jeff Horton
Stoughton, Wisconsin

Well Jeff I feel the same way,I cannot properly explain to my kids just what "we" are doing in the world or at home,and have it remain consistant with what I have taught them about this society.
Well I been suckered and now I get to explain to my kids how Dad was all wrong about how "things work".
Thanx for the "American Century" I do not want.
Thanx for dishonoring my families dead fighting for beliefs which have ben cast aside with the theft of one states election and all who allowed it to go unchecked.
WR:rasta:

--------------------
To old for this place

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: No child left behind,just decieved [Re: whiterasta]
    #2044801 - 10/26/03 01:22 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Even the most rabid conservative wouldn't forego his principles to support an idiot.

None did.

Quote:

When I saw them destroy a genuine American hero during the primaries,

None was.

Quote:

He's lost every debate.

He didn't.

Quote:

When Florida was contested I said "Don't worry. This is America. We count all the votes."

We did.

Quote:

"Don't worry. This is America. Republicans have always embraced states' rights. There is no way the US Supreme Court will interfere."

They merely followed the rules.

As for the rest it's a bunch of shit as well.

So I'll end with this.....

Don't worry, not everyone is a big enough moron to believe what a bunch of sore losers spew out.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Re: No child left behind,just decieved [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2045374 - 10/26/03 05:35 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even the most rabid conservative wouldn't forego his principles to support an idiot.

---------------------------------------------------None did

:shake:

Quote:

Don't worry, not everyone is a big enough moron to believe what a bunch of sore losers spew out 

It appears some are big enough morons to believe what a bunch of theives and traitors spew out.

Luvvy rattle that red,white and blue attitude all you want,but we have fundamentaly changed the course of american history(effectively argued for the worse) and I personaly cannot explain to my kids why there are conspicuous abscences from our families gene pool defending ideals which this administration has tossed aside,much like they are tossing aside those fighting their battles.Tell me Luvvy how do you explain to an intelligent kid that we are invading countries who pose no real threat but are full of oil while another country directly threatens us with nuclear(or is it nucular,I guess it depends on if your a Harvard grad or not,eh?) weapons and we turn a deaf ear.Or even better, explain defoliating the Columbian jungle to get rid of cocaine,while you drill the former feilds of coca for oil.I guess honesty is the thing eh,Luvvy? Our foriegn policy is based soley on aquiring control of as much of the worlds petroleum as possible and that IS that.
WR:rasta:   

--------------------
To old for this place

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: No child left behind,just decieved [Re: whiterasta]
    #2045380 - 10/26/03 05:38 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

LDS's response:  :noway:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: No child left behind,just decieved [Re: silversoul7]
    #2045458 - 10/26/03 06:09 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
LDS's response:  :noway: 

:rolleyes:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Re: No child left behind,just decieved [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2045593 - 10/26/03 07:55 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

:rolleyes: 

:rasta: 

--------------------
To old for this place

Jump to top Pages: 1