Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Friday, October 24, 2003
    #2041414 - 10/25/03 03:25 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Friday, October 24, 2003
Posted 10:49 AM by Ski

It's time to mix things up a bit. I've ranted. I've raved. I've saved you from the fallacies spread by modern society. You have learned much, young one. But you are not a Jedi yet.

I feel you are finally ready for me to bestow my own wisdom upon your sorry asses. In addition to being a cynical bastard, I also consider myself a seeker of truth. I guess you could call me a "pocket philosopher", a veritable barstool prophet if you will. Over time, I have engaged in many quests for higher understanding. The result is a few theories of my own; the rules that I live by. So, time for another new sideline:

Mike's Maxims #1: There is only one impossibility.

Sounds messed up, hey? Well, I firmly believe that nothing is impossible. This dates back to Grade 12 IB Physics, when Mrs. Antrobus taught us that time travel is impossible because you can't divide by zero. That's when my cynical spidey-senses started tingling. "So you're telling me that something is impossble because a man-made mathematical system says so?", I think to myself. "Well, that's crazy!" (editor's note: Mrs. Antrobus actually WAS crazy - if she wasn't before, then she certainly was after Dave used his TV-remote-watch to keep turning the TV on, prompting her to go insane becuase she couldn't find her "clicker".)

Anyway, back to my point. Humans tend to define reality by what we can touch/taste/smell... We disregard stuff that we cannot perceive, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If I blow a dog whistle I can't hear anything, but my pups will reassure you that they hear something before they tear your face off. Apply that lesson in a more general sense. How many things are there out there that we cannot perceive? People wonder if we've been visited by aliens. Hell, there could be an alien sitting next to me right now, but (s)he might exist in a form outside my senses.

Given that, there are spaces outside of the reality that we can sense. Follow me? Good. So, if there are things that we can't sense, then how can we state that certain things are impossible? Before Columbus, people thought that the Earth was flat. What if there's a new Columbus not yet born that will redefine our mathematical system so that we can do things like divide by zero? Math is not reality - it's simply a tool we use to define reality. So as our tools evolve, we will learn more about the universe around us, just like the discovery of quarks.

So given this principle, we have to accept that things we can not currently explain may actually exist. Thus my theory that nothing is impossible. Just because we don't know how to do it doesn't mean it can't be done. So, nothing is impossible.

But that itself is a contradiction. If you accept that NOTHING is impossible, then you are actually stating that there is one and only one impossibility - to PROVE that something IS impossible.

I hope that was clear. I probably blew your mind. If you want to lock me up now, go right ahead. It'll give me more time to think....

http://www.highpricedtalent.com/weblog/ski.html

:mad::mushroom2: = :laugh: 

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Friday, October 24, 2003 [Re: pattern]
    #2041675 - 10/25/03 06:15 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hehe, sweet stuff. :grin:

The mind is all-powerful. We just cannot even begin to imagine how the fuck we can use it most efficently. I can fly....
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Anonymous

#2041726 - 10/25/03 01:37 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

pattern said:
I've saved you from the fallacies spread by modern society. You have learned much, young one. But you are not a Jedi yet.

I feel you are finally ready for me to bestow my own wisdom upon your sorry asses.

I probably blew your mind. If you want to lock me up now, go right ahead. It'll give me more time to think....

all hail lord pattern and his revolutionary ideas! thank you so much for gracing me with such knowledge, oh wise one. unfortunately i cannot understand, my mind is nothing in comparison to yours and has consequently been blown!

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Friday, October 24, 2003 [Re: ]
    #2041758 - 10/25/03 01:45 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

iamhimheisme said:
all hail lord pattern and his revolutionary ideas!  thank you so much for gracing me with such knowledge, oh wise one.  unfortunately i cannot understand, my mind is nothing in comparison to yours and has consequently been blown! 

Um.... wasn't the text he included just a quote off of some guy's weblog, hence the following link?

Kill the messenger, eh? :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Anonymous

Re: Friday, October 24, 2003 [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2041944 - 10/25/03 03:04 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

whoops, missed that, my mistake, sorry for being a dick, hangovers do that to me :grin:

Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
    #2041980 - 10/25/03 03:21 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

pattern said:
It'll give me more time to think....

Ah, but *thought* will not lead u anywhere.. my young apprentice... :grin: 

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #2042311 - 10/25/03 05:37 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

all hail lord pattern and his revolutionary ideas!  thank you so much for gracing me with such knowledge, oh wise one.  unfortunately i cannot understand, my mind is nothing in comparison to yours and has consequently been blown!

hehe, as fireworks pointed out, its not my writing, but I found it interesting :kiss: 

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Anonymous

#2042453 - 10/25/03 06:32 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

yeah, i gotcha, again sorry for 'shooting the messenger' as fireworks put it :grin:

InvisibleSynaesthesia
life:everybody'sfavorite STD
    #2042839 - 10/25/03 09:35 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i turned 19 on the 24th...

it was a shitty birthday tho, so let us never speak of it again

--------------------
I met Goatse once. He's a really nice guy in person. Down-to-earth, not stuck up at all. Doesn't let the fame of it all go to his head. I shook his hand, got an autograph, we talked for a minute, and that was that. Nice fella.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Friday, October 24, 2003 [Re: Synaesthesia]
    #2042841 - 10/25/03 09:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

why? what went wrong? Let us speak of it.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Friday, October 24, 2003 *DELETED* [Re: Strumpling]
    #2042850 - 10/25/03 09:41 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Re: Friday, October 24, 2003 [Re: poke smot!]
    #2043044 - 10/25/03 11:35 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have just one thing to add....

Friday, October 24, 2003

was my birthday, and I had fun. :laugh:

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #2043075 - 10/25/03 11:53 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Before Columbus, people thought that the Earth was flat.

Actually, not true.

The ancient Greeks knew the Earth was round. And it was a well known fact in Columbus' day, especially among navigators (which he was). Columbus' big idea was that they had the size of the Earth wrong. He did some independent work of his own and decided that the Earth was much smaller than the accepted value at his time. His result suggested that it would be possible to sail across the Atlantic Ocean to China and India. His value was wrong - the accpeted value at the time was pretty close to correct.

Imagine the world without any significant land mass in the western hemisphere. An ocean that goes all the way from Europe to Asia. The sailing vessels at that time had no hope of making across such an incredibly large ocean.

As it was, Columbus' expedition sailed a bit past the point where they could return safely to Europe. Had there not been a New World there, some of that crew would have starved to death before they made it back. The distance they had sailed was not even a third of the distance they would have had to cover.

Quote:

redefine our mathematical system so that we can do things like divide by zero?

Our current mathematical system handles division by zero quite well.

You're absolutely correct when you state, "Math is not reality - it's simply a tool". And new mathematics is being invented (discovered, if you prefer) all the time. Mathematics is a tool used for modeling reality, especially in sciences like physics. It does such a good job that it's going to take something pretty spectacular to displace it.

Quote:

we have to accept that things we can not currently explain may actually exist.

This seems a bit self evident. The real world is a *very* complicated place. I cannot imagine that humanity will ever be close to explaining everything.

Isn't that what keeps it interesting?

As far as the basic proposition that "nothing is impossible", it pretty much depends on your definition of impossible, doesn't it. There are pretty reasonable definitions of impossible that leave basically an infinite number of things as being impossible. There are other definitions that leave nothing as impossible.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineShrooomKing
Revolving

Loc: Returning to OZ...
Re: Friday, October 24, 2003 [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2050644 - 10/28/03 03:22 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

good job this guy states the obvious.

--------------------
A driver knows that it is not the road that is his biggest obstacle, rather it is the poles.
A great driver understands, the poles will always be there, and he must learn to adjust.

I can't keep doing this on my own... with all these... people. -daniel plainview

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology