Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Maybe the biggest ego trip of all.
    #20410765 - 08/12/14 09:24 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

In my experience with myself and observation of others is when one is thinking they are in the process of killing off their ego or no longer have one.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: Icelander]
    #20410801 - 08/12/14 09:33 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Alan Watts once said that. It's the greatest joke ever told.

Invisibleeasyskunkin

#20410858 - 08/12/14 09:47 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
In my experience with myself and observation of others is when one is thinking they are in the process of killing off their ego or no longer have one.

:lol:

According to these graphic documents, the ego is inversely proportional to the length of your ride's hood :

I own a Peugeot 206, so I have a long and arduous spiritual journey ahead of me :sad:

--------------------
L'intérêt à croire une chose n'est pas une preuve de l'existence de cette chose.
Voltaire ; Remarques sur les pensées de Pascal (1728)

Offlineyeah
Male User Gallery

#20411174 - 08/12/14 11:10 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

What about diminishing its influence? Is that cool with you?

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#20411269 - 08/12/14 11:44 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

Especially on this forum.  :thumbup:

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #20411311 - 08/13/14 12:01 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

From wiki:

Grandiose delusions (GD) or delusions of grandeur is principally a subtype of delusional disorder that occurs in patients suffering from a wide range of mental illnesses, including two-thirds of patients in manic state of bipolar disorder, half of those with schizophrenia and a substantial portion of those with substance abuse disorders.[1][2] GDs are characterized by fantastical beliefs that one is famous, omnipotent, wealthy, or otherwise very powerful. The delusions are generally fantastic and typically have a supernatural, science-fictional, or religious theme. There is a relative lack of research into GD, in comparison to persecutory delusions and auditory hallucinations. About 10% of healthy people experience grandiose thoughts but do not meet full criteria for a diagnosis of GD.[2]

~~~~

But honestly, I'm just more disappointed in how totally self obsessed many people 'on the path' tend to actually be, any topic somehow relates to their spiritual plight.  Like they're totally fuckin' incapable of thinking of anyone else.  :ohwell:

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: yeah]
    #20411318 - 08/13/14 12:02 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

yeah said:
What about diminishing its influence? Is that cool with you?

Maybe but not how I would describe it.

--------------------

InvisibleHeartAndMind
Male User Gallery

#20411471 - 08/13/14 01:04 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Agree with the OP.

This whole ego thingy is very weird to talk about. I'm not sure if I understand what it exactly is. Just a thought you have of yourself?

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: HeartAndMind] * 1
    #20411527 - 08/13/14 01:31 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

It doesn't matter how puffed up they get about their goal they think the exact opposite is happening.  They will proclaim loud and long that they are killing that sucker off for good and god help you if you disagree with them.

It would seem to me that if my ego was dying I'd just be less and less inclined to talk about it.  And I certainly wouldn't be preaching about how great it is to my gang so they could congratulate me.  But that's what I see all the time.

--------------------

InvisibleHeartAndMind
Male User Gallery

#20411568 - 08/13/14 02:05 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I agree :thumbup:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: Icelander] * 1
    #20411656 - 08/13/14 03:36 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
It would seem to me that if my ego was dying I'd just be less and less inclined to talk about it.  And I certainly wouldn't be preaching about how great it is to my gang so they could congratulate me.  But that's what I see all the time.

Well, just to play devil's advocate, imagine you've found some great truth.  Some Revelation that has allowed your ego to die compared to, let's say, 99% of your fellow inmates on this prison planet.  Why would you not share it?  :satansmoking:

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: deCypher]
    #20411742 - 08/13/14 04:46 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Well, you could sit on it and digest it for a month, see if it actually holds the test of time, think about how you could sympathetically covey the message, etc.... rather than behaving like a raving manic mess.  Just a thought.

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: deCypher]
    #20411922 - 08/13/14 07:10 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Quote:

Icelander said:

Well, just to play devil's advocate, imagine you've found some great truth.  Some Revelation that has allowed your ego to die compared to, let's say, 99% of your fellow inmates on this prison planet.  Why would you not share it?  :satansmoking:

Good question.  I'd have to have some convincing way of proving it works.
  I've found the minute I question these folk critically their ego defense mechanisms take over.  I've yet to not have one of them get pissed off at me in some way.
It usually gets announced like they just won the world cup.  And no evidence beyond their word.  Well if you have to take everyone at their word on everything you'll spend a lot of your life in dark alleys and dead ends.

--------------------

InvisibleChronic7
    #20412007 - 08/13/14 07:55 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Thinking 'i have no ego' is oxymoronic, or just moronic :tongue: as generally speaking thinking is the ego, of course there's nothing 'wrong' with thinking but there's also nothing wrong with someone who wants to silence their mind chatter for whatever reasons, and as apart from thoughts there is no actual 'thing' called ego silencing the thinking mind could also rightly be called silencing or killing the ego

Quote:

Icelander said:
It would seem to me that if my ego was dying I'd just be less and less inclined to talk about it.

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineIcyus
KavitārkikasiṃHa
Male

Loc: Inbetween.
Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #20412037 - 08/13/14 08:13 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
From wiki:

Grandiose delusions (GD) or delusions of grandeur is principally a subtype of delusional disorder that occurs in patients suffering from a wide range of mental illnesses, including two-thirds of patients in manic state of bipolar disorder, half of those with schizophrenia and a substantial portion of those with substance abuse disorders.[1][2] GDs are characterized by fantastical beliefs that one is famous, omnipotent, wealthy, or otherwise very powerful. The delusions are generally fantastic and typically have a supernatural, science-fictional, or religious theme. There is a relative lack of research into GD, in comparison to persecutory delusions and auditory hallucinations. About 10% of healthy people experience grandiose thoughts but do not meet full criteria for a diagnosis of GD.[2]

~~~~

But honestly, I'm just more disappointed in how totally self obsessed many people 'on the path' tend to actually be, any topic somehow relates to their spiritual plight.  Like they're totally fuckin' incapable of thinking of anyone else.  :ohwell:

GD entirely depends on someone lacking grounding. Other than that, people may willingly point out a flaw that someone lacks the very insecurity that they posess, as a self-defence mechanism.

--------------------
And thus begins the  reverse-fusing of our one-dimentional understanding, and adds ever-expanding perspectives, in depth and number; splitting our perception, and in so doing, seemingly irrationally, creates yet more one-ness, with all that ever was, is and will ever be, streching across the infinite, inunderstood concept of everything, percievable and not.

Offlineyeah
Male User Gallery

#20412174 - 08/13/14 09:00 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Well if I wanna cultivate forgiveness and humility and try to take myself less seriously then don't you think the effect on my personality would be a subtler ego?

I guess all I'm trying to say is that you're right on both points that a lot of new agers and whatnot are totally egotistical about what they think they're doing and that anyone with any success would just enjoy it.

:highdog:

--------------------

Edited by yeah (08/13/14 09:03 AM)

OfflineIcyus
KavitārkikasiṃHa
Male

Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: yeah]
    #20412268 - 08/13/14 09:23 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

yeah said:
Well if I wanna cultivate forgiveness and humility and try to take myself less seriously then don't you think the effect on my personality would be a subtler ego?

I guess all I'm trying to say is that you're right on both points that a lot of new agers and whatnot are totally egotistical about what they think they're doing and that anyone with any success would just enjoy it.

:highdog:

Focus on yourself first, mate? ... and maybe the world will change..

--------------------
And thus begins the  reverse-fusing of our one-dimentional understanding, and adds ever-expanding perspectives, in depth and number; splitting our perception, and in so doing, seemingly irrationally, creates yet more one-ness, with all that ever was, is and will ever be, streching across the infinite, inunderstood concept of everything, percievable and not.

Offlinecbub
it
 User Gallery

#20412914 - 08/13/14 12:18 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Its usually what you talk about most is your biggest blunder and what you see wrong in others, you need to learn yourself.

--------------------
It's fine.

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

#20413020 - 08/13/14 12:41 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I see the ego as a necessary bodily function like any other (assuming the brain is fundamentally a part of the body).  On this Earth, to participate effectively one cannot do without it any more than one can do without one's kidneys or liver.  Without it you would sit there like a bump on a log, unable to function.

It is obviously quite foolish to assume one doesn't have or need one.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Offlinecbub
it
 User Gallery

Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #20413250 - 08/13/14 01:31 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

This word is almost as bad as "god". Everyone is talking about a different thing.

--------------------
It's fine.

Invisibleeasyskunkin

Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: cbub]
    #20413387 - 08/13/14 02:08 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

cbub said:
This word is almost as bad as "god". Everyone is talking about a different thing.

Yes that is my feeling too. It has a different meaning in a psychoanalytical, psychological, philosophical or religious context.

But I think the OP refers to the oriental religious meaning.

--------------------
L'intérêt à croire une chose n'est pas une preuve de l'existence de cette chose.
Voltaire ; Remarques sur les pensées de Pascal (1728)

OfflineIcyus
KavitārkikasiṃHa
Male

Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: easyskunkin]
    #20413430 - 08/13/14 02:18 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

easyskunkin said:
Quote:

cbub said:

Yes that is my feeling too. It has a different meaning in a psychoanalytical, psychological, philosophical or religious context.

But I think the OP refers to the oriental religious meaning.

It has a different meaning to every individual, and of such is different for each.. not that this makes anything easier..

As we cannot paint the picture, we draw the edges, outerlining it.. our words are an approximation of what it is like to see, described to a blind person.. when each of us are infact blind, only seeing what noone else can see, if we are talented at the craft..

--------------------

Edited by Icyus (08/13/14 02:22 PM)

Offlineendogenous
נפל מגיהינום
 User Gallery

#20413448 - 08/13/14 02:22 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

According to (Freud's) model of the psyche, the id is the set of uncoordinated instinctual trends; the super-ego plays the critical and moralizing role; and the ego is the organized, realistic part that mediates between the desires of the id and the super-ego. The super-ego can stop one from doing certain things that one's id may want to do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_%28Freudian%29#Ego

The word "ego" took on a new meaning when referring to Entheogens. Leary, (a psychologist) seemed to prefer to use the word "mind" as in his slogan "You have to go out of your mind in order to use your head."

The "mind" would seem to include the id, ego, and super-ego.

Although the super-ego would seem to be thought of as "good" since it controls "immoral" behavior -- and the id would be thought of as "bad" since it acts in an "animalistic" manner -- the revelations of Entheogens might often show that the instinctive feeling was correct, while the moralistic thought was incorrect.

But, I think that the word "ego" has come to represent false belief, or illusion (or evil).

I don't believe that it's possible for human beings to be completely free of illusion. But, I do believe that that is where God, (Entheogens) are at.

As He was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and asked Him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. -- Gospel of St. Mark, 10, 18

This is the message we have heard from Him and the message we are announcing to you: God is Light,  in (Them) there is no darkness at all. - 1 St. John, 1, 5

--------------------
The Day of the Lord has come like a thief in the night. -- It is there but no one knows it.

OfflineIcyus
KavitārkikasiṃHa
Male

Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: endogenous]
    #20413456 - 08/13/14 02:24 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

endogenous said:
According to (Freud's) model of the psyche, the id is the set of uncoordinated instinctual trends; the super-ego plays the critical and moralizing role; and the ego is the organized, realistic part that mediates between the desires of the id and the super-ego. The super-ego can stop one from doing certain things that one's id may want to do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_%28Freudian%29#Ego

The word "ego" took on a new meaning when referring to Entheogens. Leary, (a psychologist) seemed to prefer to use the word "mind" as in his slogan "You have to go out of your mind in order to use your head."

The "mind" would seem to include the id, ego, and super-ego.

Although the super-ego would seem to be thought of as "good" since it controls "immoral" behavior -- and the id would be thought of as "bad" since it acts in an "animalistic" manner -- the revelations of Entheogens might often show that the instinctive feeling was correct, while the moralistic thought was incorrect.

But, I think that the word "ego" has come to represent false belief, or illusion (or evil).

I don't believe that it's possible for human beings to be completely free of illusion. But, I do believe that that is where God, (Entheogens) are at.

As He was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and asked Him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. -- Gospel of St. Mark, 10, 18

This is the message we have heard from Him and the message we are announcing to you: God is Light,  in (Them) there is no darkness at all. - 1 St. John, 1, 5

What if we are allways seeing the complete truth, but are inable to see it as such?

--------------------

Offlineendogenous
נפל מגיהינום
 User Gallery

Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: Icyus]
    #20413507 - 08/13/14 02:39 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Well, since humans have both God and Satan, part of us is seeing the truth. But, the question was whether it was possible to be free of "ego". If you are unable to see the truth as truth, then you are not free of the "ego".

--------------------
The Day of the Lord has come like a thief in the night. -- It is there but no one knows it.

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

#20414857 - 08/13/14 08:15 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

cbub said:

I don't think I'm referring to it differently.  Ego takes place in the brain, no?  The brain is a part of the body, no?  Ego is a set of circuitry that allows mammalian organisms to negotiate the terrain -- geographical, physical, mental, emotional, interpersonal -- of planet Earth.  I therefore see no reason not to refer to it as a bodily function.  It is brain circuitry; it is essentially like a machine, really.  I find this picture elegant, but I repeat, it is not a different definition than the OP if one really looks at it.

--------------------

Offlinecbub
it
 User Gallery

#20415132 - 08/13/14 09:17 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

To me ego is just latin for "I". Which it is.. and italian would be "io" and german "ich".
I would rather not have a 19th century psychoanalyst define it for me, I dont really trust his sanity.
Simple, yet so complicated. To each their own sense of identification.

--------------------
It's fine.

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

#20415182 - 08/13/14 09:28 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

cbub said:
To me ego is just latin for "I". Which it is..

I share your definition.  And I am only discussing it in what to many must be an unusual, though upon close inspection not spurious, perspective.  I am not quibbling with your definition, or that of the OP.  Mine is the same.  And in my opinion, there is nothing simple about it.

--------------------

Offlinecbub
it
 User Gallery

#20415407 - 08/13/14 10:22 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

This is where it gets meta. So this "I" is something your body has, but body is also what the "I" consists of. Which is within which :smile:

--------------------
It's fine.

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

#20415443 - 08/13/14 10:33 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I just think of the ego as being fundamentally constructed out of brain circuitry.  Now, the actual self in which the ego operates I do not see as being merely a classical, neuroelectrical circuit.  Some writers have referred to the "false" self (which is the ego) and the "true" self, which as far as I know is nameless.  Some deny the false self exists.  Some deny the true self exists.  C'est la vie, I suppose.

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#20431138 - 08/17/14 02:30 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DividedQuantum said:
I just think of the ego as being fundamentally constructed out of brain circuitry.  Now, the actual self in which the ego operates I do not see as being merely a classical, neuroelectrical circuit.  Some writers have referred to the "false" self (which is the ego) and the "true" self, which as far as I know is nameless.  Some deny the false self exists.  Some deny the true self exists.  C'est la vie, I suppose.

Imho, as the brain develops, there are phase sensitive learning periods in which our experiences hardwire (imprint) a subconscious set of belief systems, which act to filter our potentiality of experience into the way we actually interpret the world - our point of views, or egos.  Everything from drugs, meditation, academics, arts can be used to expand our point of view and take fuller advantage of our human potential, or alternatively we suffocate ourselves in ever increasingly confined boxes of our own B.S. (belief systems).  We never get rid of or kill our ego, but at our bests we continually hack it, tweak it, to experience reality on more positive levels.

--------------------

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

#20431711 - 08/17/14 08:36 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Quote:

DividedQuantum said:

Imho, as the brain develops, there are phase sensitive learning periods in which our experiences hardwire (imprint) a subconscious set of belief systems, which act to filter our potentiality of experience into the way we actually interpret the world - our point of views, or egos.  Everything from drugs, meditation, academics, arts can be used to expand our point of view and take fuller advantage of our human potential, or alternatively we suffocate ourselves in ever increasingly confined boxes of our own B.S. (belief systems).  We never get rid of or kill our ego, but at our bests we continually hack it, tweak it, to experience reality on more positive levels.

Couldn't agree more.  Well said.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#20431723 - 08/17/14 08:42 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

agreed

--------------------

OfflineIcyus
KavitārkikasiṃHa
Male

#20437464 - 08/18/14 01:34 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Quote:

DividedQuantum said:

Love how you shorten Belief systems (B.S.)

--------------------

Invisiblelucifane
unwise
 User Gallery

Loc: nuptual fecund
    #20439369 - 08/18/14 07:58 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Trypt is a key element in such loss
Isolation tripy methyl is cool, if u like leviathan
Antithesis in killing, keep out
No sunt, nun 5meaxy...nun
Keep wits, even wezen
Yet spores will end the notion,!

--------------------
tufa is in the underworld, self is lost,

{sifting a few misipiètz}

Tokkien {vitae lux lucre sattelita}, serafin
Lin taoist

Invisiblelucifane
unwise
 User Gallery

Loc: nuptual fecund
Re: Maybe the biggest ego trip of all. [Re: endogenous]
    #20439402 - 08/18/14 08:02 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

endogenous said:
Well, since humans have both God and Satan, part of us is seeing the truth. But, the question was whether it was possible to be free of "ego". If you are unable to see the truth as truth, then you are not free of the "ego".

Leave shaytan in a hole and u will find theirs nun at night...of such

Elicit response wisentails

--------------------
tufa is in the underworld, self is lost,

{sifting a few misipiètz}

Tokkien {vitae lux lucre sattelita}, serafin
Lin taoist

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom