Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
BEAUTIFUL BASS NOTES
    #2040617 - 10/24/03 07:55 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

When you listen to a bass guitar being played, ever notice how it still sounds reasonably 'in tune' even though it might be slightly less than perfectly tuned?

Why do you suppose that is?

[Aside>> Off-tuning is more easily detected on a guitar.. Especially an electric guitar]

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: BEAUTIFUL BASS NOTES [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #2041014 - 10/24/03 11:12 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I play the bass.

Pertaining to your question.. it remains a mystery. Perhaps because the bass frequencies are lower, so that our ears cannot pick out an off tune as easily as something higher like a guitar.

OfflineTheSlapnCapn
Slappin' thangs.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zee mountain state
Re: BEAUTIFUL BASS NOTES [Re: Shroomism]
    #2041052 - 10/24/03 11:33 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Another bass player here...

A lot of hearing the out of tune-ness of a guitar is that you're playing a lot of chords and with two or more notes playing at the same time its a lot easier to hear that the notes aren't in tune because you can hear the "reference" of one note playing against another and if they don't harmonically agree you get the wavy nuance sound, which says "hey yer outta tune."

Whereas those of us in the lower frequencies are playing one note at a time usually so note "referencing" is a lot tougher.

Also what shroomism said---lower frequencies aren't as easily distinguished by the ears.

-j

--------------------
I promise to live, love, exist, and be, and hope that all life will love to be in existence with me. Also, fuck you.

-j

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: BEAUTIFUL BASS NOTES [Re: TheSlapnCapn]
    #2041058 - 10/24/03 11:37 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Ah..didn't think about that aspect...good point.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2041683 - 10/25/03 06:25 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, bass notes being lower down in the register would be part of it, and the thing about a regular guitar hitting more than one note usually at once would make it easier to tell if it was out of tune..

It is a lot easier to tell if a bass is out of tune by hitting some octaves or a power chord, as well.

And if the bass is being played while other instruments are being played, the bass usually ends up filling in the background and takes on a bit more of a subliminal sound, as it sort of gels with everything else and fills it out....

And, as this is about beautiful bass notes, I think we need some pictures of beautiful bass guitars as well: :grin:
Peace. 

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: BEAUTIFUL BASS NOTES [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2041693 - 10/25/03 06:37 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Nice sig :laugh:

I am working on getting a new BTB 5 string. However I don't want to settle for the cheap one.. the upper-class BTB is around $1200  :crazy: :wince: 

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2041730 - 10/25/03 01:37 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Nice sig :laugh:

I am working on getting a new BTB 5 string. However I don't want to settle for the cheap one.. the upper-class BTB is around $1200  :crazy: :wince: 

I ended up paying $800 for that Ibanez EDB605 (appropriately named Sirius) due to high Norwegian taxes on new items... like 24%, I believe? Anyways, it would have only cost me $500 if I bought it in the United States..

And that B.C. Rich, fretless Mockingbird isn't suspossed to exist. The model was only made for a short time, and I couldn't find any information on it ANYWHERE on the net, so I emailed customer service at B.C. Rich. The guy said that there was very few ever made, and that they "NEVER made a fretless version". However, the original neck is on the thing and there isn't any sign of the frets being removed.

Anyways, I remember seeing the exact guitar in a Musician's Friend catalog once as a fretless, so I think the guy didn't realize that they did sell it as a fretless.. anyways, it should be here any day now and I can't wait to fucking play it. :grin:

And, since this is Spirituality and Philsophy, I would like to add that bass guitar, and to a fuller extent, music is why I live. Playing bass is my spiritual release. I constantly challenge my playing and always come out better for it, the same could be said of life itself... ?end justification paragraph? :grin:

[Edit: I will take an actual picture of the B.C. Rich when it arrives, and it will be placed in front of the Ibanez amplifier like the rest of them, which I just got working by shelling down $100 to buy a converter for the whole electricity difference thing... :frown:]
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Edited by fireworks_god (10/25/03 01:39 PM)

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
    #2041734 - 10/25/03 01:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i got a 400 wat subwoofer for my car the other day.
Don't you love being bale to feel the bass.
I was wondering today how a deaf person would react?

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: BEAUTIFUL BASS NOTES [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #2041740 - 10/25/03 01:41 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Sole_Worthy said:
I was wondering today how a deaf person would react? 

They'd start groovin'....  :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #2044316 - 10/26/03 11:00 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Shroomism:    "Perhaps because the bass frequencies are lower, so that our ears cannot pick out an off tune as easily as something higher like a guitar."
------------------

True.  The optimal listening range where you pay most attention to is the Mid-range.
============

TheSlapnCapn:  "Whereas those of us in the lower frequencies are playing one note at a time usually so note "referencing" is a lot tougher."
------------------

That is also true. 

But when I sometimes play bass, I play chords on it as well as single string notes, harmonies, tapping, harmonics, etc..  And unless it is really badly out of tune, then the reproduced sound is still acceptable.
=============

Fireworks_god: "And if the bass is being played while other instruments are being played, the bass usually ends up filling in the background and takes on a bit more of a subliminal sound, as it sort of gels with everything else and fills it out.... "
--------------------

That is an excellent response that blends well with the other two bassists'.
============

Sole_Worthy: " i got a 400 wat subwoofer for my car the other day. "
------------------

Leave it to good 'ol  Sole_Worthy to help me further a point...

When you notice a car coming down the road, one that has a real huge stereo in it, you always hear the bass first, and the treble second;  you can even hear the bass around the corner, where as the treble would not be as noticeable.

Not only are bass notes lower in frequency [Hz], they are in fact, longer in magnitude.  Their length makes them very flexible, rather than rigid.

If you could imagine a car with a huge stereo in it as a diagram, you would see a car in the middle, surrounded by a "cloud" of treble, surounded by a "cloud" of bass.

As it turns out, ALL of you are on the same wavelength on this...  Did you notice the HARMONY we just played? 

Just in case you don't know what a harmony is, its a slightly different sound that compliments another note...  That is, plays well with it in a riff or song.

We just played a virtual riff with harmony.

:eyemouth:

This composition is almost ready.  Thanx everyone!  You guys are awesome !!  :thumbup: 

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: BEAUTIFUL BASS NOTES [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #2044371 - 10/26/03 11:26 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Deiymiyan said:
Not only are bass notes lower in frequency [Hz], they are in fact, longer in magnitude.  Their length makes them very flexible, rather than rigid.

Now, to take this in a different direction, how many of us bassists would describe themselves as being flexible? hehe

I believe that there is a reason that different people pick up different instruments, or no instrument at all...

Quote:

Just in case you don't know what a harmony is, its a slightly different sound that compliments another note...  That is, plays well with it in a riff or song.

Basically a harmony is different notes of a chord played on different instruments. So yeah, we each shared different ideas that ended up blending into one main idea well... quite the harmony. :grin:

And, on a side note, I just thought that I would add that bass melodies are truly where it is at.. check out the end of Orion by METALLICA and Cliff Burton will show you that... if you don't pay attention, it will appear as a guitar solo. Do not be fooled. The main riff of the piece is also a bass, and that is why it sounds so fucking sweet... the same is true for the intro to Damage Inc.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here