Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSubmob
Freak of freaks

Loc: here
Help! Liquid culture on grain going bad wrong
    #2038415 - 10/24/03 01:00 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

this crazy guy at the bar started telling afoaf's roomate about how he had started 2 corn syrup water jars with ecu cubie spores and 2 with philosophers stones. He said he thought the cubes were looking great, with thick ropey mycelium a brewin'. One of the jars of stones (which he dried and soaked in h202 before dropping them in) never did anything, but one appeared to be growing. He shot jars of rye grain on 10/20 from both of the ecu jars and the jar of stones. At this point he handed me a disc. The pictures show the results, all the jars innoculated with apparently healthy ecu cubie mycelium water were thoroughly contaminated with the dread green mold. Here's the greenies

and again

The jars innoculated with the stones show little tiny spots of white growth, but it doesn't look like anything I've come across. Here's one of them

and here's another shot of it

So one wonders, how is it that EVERY jar could have been tainted so badly? He says he tried to keep everything as sterile as possible, though it took a few days after pc'ing them to get them inocculated, and the jars of liquid culture were not refrigerated, but still, wtf? Any help id'ing the contam problem would be much appreciated. P.S. this was all a free-form hallucination, no such persons actually exist, everything you know is wrong

--------------------
De Omnibus Dubitandum

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Help! Liquid culture on grain going bad wrong [Re: Submob]
    #2038665 - 10/24/03 02:15 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

My guess would be that the liquid innoculate was contaminated. Just a guess though :tongue:

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Help! Liquid culture on grain going bad wrong [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #2038836 - 10/24/03 03:17 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

What kind of air exchange do you have for the jars? polyfill, tyvek? Did you PC for long enough and at a high enough PSI? Did you soak or boil the grain before? The grain looks dry, you add enough water?

InvisibleShamanorrhea
Stranger
Re: Help! Liquid culture on grain going bad wrong [Re: Submob]
    #2038899 - 10/24/03 03:45 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

How did you prepare the rye? It looks far too dry to support any mycelial growth. When I use rye I usually have really fat, glistening berries that stick together.

Here's a tip on determining if a jar is too dry. Shake it and if you can hear the grains rattling it means they are too dry. Try injecting some pre-sterilised water into the jars if they are too dry.

OfflineSubmob
Freak of freaks

Loc: here
Re: Help! Liquid culture on grain going bad wrong [Re: Shamanorrhea]
    #2044004 - 10/26/03 05:01 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

the grain was soaked for around 24 hours and the pc'd at about 17 psi for about an hour, they are kinda dry though. Polyfill lids for air exchange.

--------------------
De Omnibus Dubitandum

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation