Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecinderblock
Failed Conformist
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: TheChief] * 1
    #20307282 - 07/21/14 06:27 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MattDiGi said:
Thanks man!  Going to walmart tomorrow to get me a SAB!

Yeah, I'm gonna go to Target today and look around to stock up. I only get one offday, so this is it for the week.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: cinderblock] * 1
    #20308100 - 07/21/14 09:02 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cinderblock said:
You recommended doing all your work towards the back of the box. Do you wear tyvek sleeves?

Also, do you rub everything that goes into the SAB before AND after? Or just after it enters the SAB?

Do you use Dr. Bonner's for a specific reason? Or can I just use aerosol like Oust? Thanks.

yes

I do a quick wipe down before going in the box, and a more thorough wipe while in the box. Not needed after coming out. Do your flame sterilization outside the box though.

I use Dr. Bronner's because it smells good. Yes, you can use oust, but, it doesn't help any more than soap. You just need the air inside to be still and the wet surface helps contams stick if they do come in the box. Aerosols irritate my nose.

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Offlinecinderblock
Failed Conformist
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: SpitballJedi] * 1
    #20309174 - 07/22/14 12:16 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
Quote:

cinderblock said:
You recommended doing all your work towards the back of the box. Do you wear tyvek sleeves?

Also, do you rub everything that goes into the SAB before AND after? Or just after it enters the SAB?

Do you use Dr. Bonner's for a specific reason? Or can I just use aerosol like Oust? Thanks.

yes

I do a quick wipe down before going in the box, and a more thorough wipe while in the box. Not needed after coming out. Do your flame sterilization outside the box though.

I use Dr. Bronner's because it smells good. Yes, you can use oust, but, it doesn't help any more than soap. You just need the air inside to be still and the wet surface helps contams stick if they do come in the box. Aerosols irritate my nose.

Do you wait at all after you spray the soap for it to settle for a couple minutes? Or does it not really matter that the soap wait is still probably drizzling around at a microscopic level.

Edited by cinderblock (07/22/14 12:43 AM)

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: cinderblock] * 1
    #20309930 - 07/22/14 07:18 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I get the walls and towel damp, give a couple more light sprays, put my stuff in, wait about 5 minutes, then wipe all my jars and stuff down with alcohol.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20333887 - 07/26/14 06:32 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Added to OP

***Modification Update***

Today, I added a magnetic arm-hole cover to my SAB.

Normally, I cover my arm-holes with a piece of Suran-wrap. I do this during those short periods when I'm kind of in between tasks or taking a break. Some people use those PVC screw on things.

I made these of those magnetic vent covers. It was $6.49 for a pack of 3. They seem to come in different sizes, so, get the size that covers the holes well. It only takes 2 out of the 3-pack. Because my arm-holes are 5 inches, I had to use the 8x15 vent covers.

One side is white, and the other side is bare magnet. I noticed the magnetic sides stick together the best. I also noticed the magnetic force is stronger depending on how you orient the magnets. So, if you just cut them in half, play around with the orientations to see which way is strongest before you make any holes and trace you lines.

Here's what you do:

Cut two of your magnetic vent covers in half. Cut it so it looks closer to being a 2 squares than being 2 long strips.

Tape them over your arm-holes and trace out the arm-hole circle on the magnet. Also, mark the SAB where the edges of the magnet is. This is where you need to sand a little to scruff u the plastic so RTV will stick better.

Once you get them cut out, RTV them to the SAB. Before you use adhesive, lay the magnets on the SAB to make sure they line up. It's a bitch to cut with wet RTV. Make whatever adjustments you want.

One of the things I like about this is it requires no special tools. It can be done to any existing SAB that doesn't have arm-hole covers already. You can make the arm-holes any size and this will still work because you don't have have specific hole sizes.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Edited by SpitballJedi (07/27/14 04:38 PM)

Invisiblemushroomama
Keeper

#20334640 - 07/26/14 08:49 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I wasn't able to acquire a hole saw, and after trying several different cutting methods to make my arm holes, and failing miserably at each, I went out and bought a soldering iron and it worked like a champ. I used a fan to circulate air as I cut the holes. No sharp edges, no broken exacto blades, box cutters slipping, or dozens of tiny drill holes that led to cracking. I have been trying to figure out an easy cover for my arm holes. I picked up some magnetic sheets at the dollar tree today after seeing this and am going to use them to make covers! Thanks for the great idea!

--------------------
"Now I know what the picture puzzled pattern door is. The picture puzzle pattern door is the furthest reaches of your humanity. This is the doorway into what defines you as a human being."

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

Loc: Executing TEKs... Flag
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: mushroomama] * 1
    #20337476 - 07/27/14 12:33 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mushroomama said:
I wasn't able to acquire a hole saw, and after trying several different cutting methods to make my arm holes, and failing miserably at each, I went out and bought a soldering iron and it worked like a champ. I used a fan to circulate air as I cut the holes. No sharp edges, no broken exacto blades, box cutters slipping, or dozens of tiny drill holes that led to cracking. I have been trying to figure out an easy cover for my arm holes. I picked up some magnetic sheets at the dollar tree today after seeing this and am going to use them to make covers! Thanks for the great idea!

You can heat a razorblade with a torch until red hot, slowly cut the traced circle bit by bit.  I found this to be the cheapest, most effective and safe method for cutting holes in tubs.  Just be careful and take your time.

--------------------

jcbowling1985 said:
"Additionally I did one Armageddon jar with all of the types together."

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20337527 - 07/27/14 12:40 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Some people heat up a coffee can to melt the holes too.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

Loc: Executing TEKs... Flag
    #20337558 - 07/27/14 12:43 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
Some people heat up a coffee can to melt the holes too.

I thought about it, but I used those stupid PVC things and finding the right sized coffee can would have been a struggle.  I ended up just doing the razorblade method and it worked awesome.

--------------------

jcbowling1985 said:
"Additionally I did one Armageddon jar with all of the types together."

Offlinegannondworf
Stranger
    #20337830 - 07/27/14 01:25 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

What's everyone's thoughts on cutting a third, smaller hole on the side of the box for flame sterilization? A hole just big enough to stick a needle through and make contact with a flame from a torch.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: gannondworf] * 1
    #20337840 - 07/27/14 01:27 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

to close for my comfort

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20337873 - 07/27/14 01:31 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Pointless at best. It's been done.

Taking your hand in and out of a SAB for flame sterilizing has been done with great success by many many people for a really long time.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Invisiblemushroomama
Keeper

#20338929 - 07/27/14 05:16 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TheChief said:
Quote:

mushroomama said:

You can heat a razorblade with a torch until red hot, slowly cut the traced circle bit by bit.  I found this to be the cheapest, most effective and safe method for cutting holes in tubs.  Just be careful and take your time.

I did try that method and was unsuccessful. Then I tried an exacto blade with the same approach, and again failed miserably. The soldering iron was just under $8 at Walmart. I cut both holes in about 10 minutes.

--------------------
"Now I know what the picture puzzled pattern door is. The picture puzzle pattern door is the furthest reaches of your humanity. This is the doorway into what defines you as a human being."

InvisibleMr. Alien
I will abduct andprobe your anus
 User Gallery

Loc: Star Wars Galaxy
    #20339433 - 07/27/14 06:50 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

SBJ That magnetic things are a wonderful idea. I hate my pcv plugs. Also i need to get one of those 108 quart tubs.

How do you clean and how often you clean your towel?  mine i just damp it in bleach water.  But then it smells funny...

Edited by Mr. Alien (07/27/14 06:51 PM)

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #20339477 - 07/27/14 06:59 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

gannondworf said:
What's everyone's thoughts on cutting a third, smaller hole on the side of the box for flame sterilization? A hole just big enough to stick a needle through and make contact with a flame from a torch.

I did this with my first SAB and the flame ignited the alcohol fumes inside the box creating a huge fire ball that melted my tyvek sleeves to my arms.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleGhatti
Totally not a Federal Agent
 User Gallery
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: MudaFuka] * 1
    #20339530 - 07/27/14 07:11 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Fuck. I've melted gloves on my hands before.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: Mr. Alien] * 1
    #20339599 - 07/27/14 07:28 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Alien said:
SBJ That magnetic things are a wonderful idea. I hate my pcv plugs. Also i need to get one of those 108 quart tubs.

How do you clean and how often you clean your towel?  mine i just damp it in bleach water.  But then it smells funny...

I use a fresh towel for ever project. Once I'm done for the day, I remove the SAB and towel goes in the laundry. If you leave your SAB closed up on the wet towel it will mildew. Bleach won't stop it.

Because of my high contamination rate in the early days, I still have some phobias and extra precautions. I have 3 white towels I bought special for my SAB. They get washed and dried separate from all my other laundry. Once dry, they go in a garbage bag to keep dust from settling on them.

When I use it, I lay out a folded towel and spray it with soap water and place my IPA sanitized box on it.

I have soap water in one bottle and IPA in another. I use them both at different points. Soap water can make your jars, lids, and gloves slippery, but IPA is flammable so I try to only use it for wiping stuff down.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20340032 - 07/27/14 08:52 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I just made a modification to my new SAB

I added steel grating three and a half inches up from the base so nothing will com into contact with the towel I put at the bottom to catch contams.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

InvisibleMr. Alien
I will abduct andprobe your anus
 User Gallery

Loc: Star Wars Galaxy
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: MudaFuka] * 1
    #20340214 - 07/27/14 09:28 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks jedi, i will do the same.

Moda your wood is painted with some outdoor paint for wood?

InvisibleMudaFuka
Poppin bottles
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My SAB (Still Air Box) [Re: Mr. Alien] * 1
    #20340304 - 07/27/14 09:45 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I haven't painted the wood yet but I plan on putting sealer on it before I use it to many times.

--------------------
AMU
Bottle Tek
Liquid Inoculant Tek                                   

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder