Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSquattingMarmot
Inquiring Mind
US is "Battling Satan" says General
    #2030414 - 10/21/03 08:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

and Rummy is actually defending him!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I thought religious wars went out of style with the crusades.

BBC: World News

Quote:

US is 'battling Satan' says general
US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has declined to criticise a senior army officer who told audiences the war on terrorism is a battle with Satan.

Evangelical Christian Lieutenant-General William G Boykin was also quoted as saying a Muslim warlord in Somalia had an "idol" for a God.

Secretary Rumsfeld, questioned by journalists, defended the general's statements as "a private affair".

But a Muslim group in the US called his comments "bigoted" and demanded his resignation.

Lt Gen Boykin enjoys a glittering military record as an officer and a commando and is currently deputy under-secretary of defence for intelligence.

However, it is his fiery evangelical Christianity that has brought him suddenly to national attention, says the BBC's Adam Brookes in Washington.

An American newspaper found him addressing church congregations wearing his uniform.

He told audiences that terrorists hated America because it was a nation of Christian believers and that the enemy in the war on terrorism was Satan.

Muslim 'Idol'

In one speech, he recalled a Muslim fighter in Somalia who said he had the protection of Allah against US forces.

"Well you know what I knew, that my God was bigger than his," said Lt Gen Boykin. "I knew that my God was a real God, and his was an idol." ( :eek: :wtf: :eek: )

His remarks brought anger from the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

They point out a verse in the Koran that says Muslims believe in the same God as Jews and Christians.

"Putting a man with such extremist views in a critical policy-making position sends entirely the wrong message to a Muslim world that is already sceptical about America's motives and intentions," said the council's executive director Nihad Awad.

At a Pentagon briefing, Donald Rumsfeld said he could not prevent military officials from making controversial statements.

"We're a free people. And that's the wonderful thing about our country," he said.

General Richard Myers, chair of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, said it did not look as if Lt Gen Boykin had broken any rules.

"The only thing I would say is there is a very wide grey area on what the rules permit," he said.

The Bush administration has worked hard to avoid its campaign against terrorism being portrayed as a campaign against Islam.

The religiously-charged comments of such a senior soldier will not help in that effort, says our correspondent.

--------------------
"In the United States anybody can be president. Thats the problem."

"The gray-haired douche bag, Barbara Bush, has a slogan: "Encourage your child to read every day." What she should be is encouraging children to question what they read every day."

- George Carlin

Edited by SquattingMarmot (10/22/03 05:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: US is "Battling Satan" says General [Re: SquattingMarmot]
    #2030423 - 10/21/03 08:59 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I thought religious wars went out of style with the crusades.

This administration is old school.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineSquattingMarmot
Inquiring Mind
Re: US is "Battling Satan" says General [Re: silversoul7]
    #2030450 - 10/21/03 09:04 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thats more than old school, thats old testament!

And its not just Rummy either, many religious conservative congressmen are backing him as well. Link

--------------------
"In the United States anybody can be president. Thats the problem."

"The gray-haired douche bag, Barbara Bush, has a slogan: "Encourage your child to read every day." What she should be is encouraging children to question what they read every day."

- George Carlin

OfflineSquirtle
journeyman
Loc: Boston
    #2030501 - 10/21/03 09:22 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

the worst thing about this is that all along they've been telling us we have to win the "hearts and minds" of the iraqi people. well this is just the sort of thing that is going to fuel anit-american sentiment in the muslim world. bush and the rest of the conservatives need to stop pandering to the religious right. even if boynkin believes that this truly is a religious war, for god sakes (no pun intended) shut up about it, its not helping our cause....

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2030655 - 10/21/03 09:56 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

The Bush administration is the epitome of menopausal, boring, suit and tie, soulless old money grubbing farts.

To borrow a phrase from Dennis Miller(of all people) "they are the town elders from Footloose"

A vote for them is a vote for frigidity.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: US is "Battling Satan" says General [Re: Learyfan]
    #2030725 - 10/21/03 10:07 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Re topic^^:

Wait,

I saw that episode of South Park.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: US is "Battling Satan" says General [Re: Rose]
    #2031669 - 10/22/03 06:32 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

If this general is "battling" Satan at all it is in his own soul.As one who follows the teachings of Rabbi Yeshua ben Joseph that this man claims the same God as me is shameful.
One God, three prophets,and a billion opinions.
WR:rasta:

--------------------
To old for this place

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: US is "Battling Satan" says General [Re: whiterasta]
    #2033065 - 10/22/03 03:58 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

he should be fired.  Is that kind of thinking that perpetuates human conflict.  I always wonder why there is such animosity between muslims and christians....it IS the same god afterall,  :wtf:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: US is "Battling Satan" says General [Re: Azmodeus]
    #2033137 - 10/22/03 04:22 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It all boils down to fundamentalists. One guy will say "We believe God is One, without a Son", the other says "You worship a fake God!" Punch. Kick. Judgemental reasoning. Jihad! Crusade! "I love God more than you!"

Unfortunately, the majority of God's children literally act like children.

--------------------

OfflineBhairabas
Stranger

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: US is "Battling Satan" says General [Re: Zahid]
    #2033362 - 10/22/03 05:21 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

They seem to forget that god let September 11th happen..

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: US is "Battling Satan" says General [Re: Bhairabas]
    #2033384 - 10/22/03 05:28 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Bhairabas said:
They seem to forget that god let September 11th happen..

Ummm, according to many "lefties" here, it was Bush that let it happen.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: US is "Battling Satan" says General [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2033416 - 10/22/03 05:35 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Ummm, according to many "lefties" here, it was Bush that let it happen.

Interesting, Bush seems to think he is on a divine mission from God...

So maybe Bush was carrying out the dictates of God.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: US is "Battling Satan" says General [Re: Evolving]
    #2033429 - 10/22/03 05:41 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

:lol:

Or.... Bush let it happen + God let it happen = Bush is God.

:lol:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2033433 - 10/22/03 05:42 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I don't believe in God.  :smirk:

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: US is "Battling Satan" says General [Re: Evolving]
    #2033437 - 10/22/03 05:45 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Neither do I.

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2033466 - 10/22/03 05:52 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

And you have the berries to call yourself a Conservative. :wink: 

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2033490 - 10/22/03 05:59 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Actually, I call myself a Libertarian.

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2033530 - 10/22/03 06:13 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Everyone thinks of themselves as a Libertarian.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2033567 - 10/22/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Everyone?

Methinks you exaggerate.

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2033588 - 10/22/03 06:33 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I think I worded it right. Everyone sounds alot better than Just About Everyone:tongue2: 

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]