Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChopperDave
Why are mushrooms and other drugs illegal?
    #2029062 - 10/21/03 02:39 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Ive always wondered this. Why exactly are they illegal? I understand why meth, crack, heroin, coke and the like are, because those really screw you up. But why mushrooms and marijuana?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Why are mushrooms and other drugs illegal? [Re: ChopperDave]
    #2029076 - 10/21/03 02:43 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA Flag
    #2029093 - 10/21/03 02:46 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

fear of the unknown, and fear of not being able to control the masses.

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Why are mushrooms and other drugs illegal? [Re: Infrared]
    #2029103 - 10/21/03 02:48 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

psychedelics seem to make it possible for folks to practice thinking in, ummm, unapproved modalities...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineChopperDave
Re: Why are mushrooms and other drugs illegal? [Re: gnrm23]
    #2029117 - 10/21/03 02:54 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

So is that what it boils down to? The government is afraid of people thinking in differant (IE: Bad) ways, therefore they wouldnt be able to control them. Im asking because Im writing an essay on marijuana and psilocybin vs tobacco and alcohol. On a related note, anyone here been to Amsterdam? Whats it like there, since marijuana is legal there? How is the crime? Ive heard that you have a 70% chance of getting mugged whereever you go, but I highly doubt that...

Offlinedibbles
Just a normalguy with nothingto lose.

Loc: Exactly where you'd never...
    #2029231 - 10/21/03 03:33 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

the govt says a lot that driving under certain influences will not be good, which of course isnt in a lot of cases, most of the laws and shit seemed to be bias against people that do stupid shit, the laws dont even touch upon responsible use, drug users make up a smaller percent of the population so instead the govt finds it easier to just shun it, they dont account for or care about the positive effects, because to them the detriments are all people doing stupid shit in a state of intoxication,that could hurt others, they dont care what you do to yourself, they never even admit positive uses, to them it doesnt matter at all, and a lot of politicians i would think personaly dont have a bias against drug reform, but alot of the older(gerneraly) politicians dislike drugs because of what has been instated in their heads, so because the newer thinkers may want drug reform, it would make them loose credibility, or at least thats what i think.

--------------------
You've succumb to an empty fate, your false prophets are gone, your life,meaningless, your heart and head broken, and we're all laughing.

OfflineChopperDave
Re: Why are mushrooms and other drugs illegal? [Re: dibbles]
    #2029267 - 10/21/03 03:42 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

dibbles, i was thinking the same thing you are, kinda. i believe US congressman would like to instate a drug reform, but by doing that they would lose credibilaty, and not get elected again.

Offlinedibbles
Just a normalguy with nothingto lose.

Loc: Exactly where you'd never...
    #2029356 - 10/21/03 04:06 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

exactly something that everyone in society wants, and its even more of a big thing in upper society situations like in the govt, people dont want to be known as "that congressmen who is pro drugs"

--------------------
You've succumb to an empty fate, your false prophets are gone, your life,meaningless, your heart and head broken, and we're all laughing.

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #2029502 - 10/21/03 04:48 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Historically, certain substances have made illegal for racist reasons in order to justify the discrimination of Chinese, Mexicans, and Blacks.

Mix racism, puritanism, and hysteria with a few ounces of misguided concern for others' wellbeing and then add in some authoritarian tendencies of the statist variety. Spice it up with big business profiteering and imperial tendencies of various world superpowers and their need for pretext and you have a sweet cake of Drug War. Fear of change and the eternal devotion to the status quo is a recommended frosting.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #2029745 - 10/21/03 06:00 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Because they like drug dealers of course. How else would they make the biggest cashcrop of a country worth more than gold? Thin the heard, create a market where lots of money can be made cause of prohibition, and then employ police against your dealers whom reap the biggest and ripest ops. Liquify the dead to feed the living :smile:

OfflineMickel
enthusiast
Re: Why are mushrooms and other drugs illegal? [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #2030281 - 10/21/03 08:25 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"Ive heard that you have a 70% chance of getting mugged whereever you go, but I highly doubt that... "

30 percent of all statistics are fictitious.

OfflineStrongBad
pharm lover
Re: Why are mushrooms and other drugs illegal? [Re: Mickel]
    #2031829 - 10/22/03 09:08 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Do you know how many idiots, even on this board, who have dosed on shrooms and then driven? A lot. Smoke a cig and drive, then eat some shrooms and drive. Yeah, alcohol is bad for driving, but at least they have ways of testing for that on the spot. I don't want some punk ass 16 year old kid dosing on shrooms and driving around b/c it's sooo l33t fun, get pulled, shows up not drunk, so he goes on his way....right into my car.

There's other stuff you gotta think about. I think it should be legal to grow and use your own. I doubt they'll legalize the trafficking and flooding of the market of mushrooms.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Why are mushrooms and other drugs illegal? [Re: Xochitl]
    #2031873 - 10/22/03 09:27 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

don't forget the profitability of prisons!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineSin Bad
Mushroom Man

Loc: Japan
Re: Why are mushrooms and other drugs illegal? [Re: StrongBad]
    #2031893 - 10/22/03 09:33 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

chopper,

Strickly speaking weed in Amsterdam is not legal, it has simply been decriminalised. This means that you are allowed to be in possession of small amounts, and you can sell small amounts also. Officially you are not allowed to smoke it everywhere, only in designated zones (ie certain coffee shops). It is still actually illegal to grow it on a large scale, although I presume there are many people doing this and a blind eye is turned.

There are a lot of head shops selling mushrooms, and I think peyote and san pedro cacti too, although I think they have made dried ones illegal to sell. You can also now buy freshly grown psilocybin mushrooms in the UK too. In Amsterdam up until a few years ago you could by lots of (now) illegal drugs, over the counter at head shops, such as 2-CT-7, and various other derivatives.

In terms of the crime there, that figure about 70% chance of being mugged is a load of bollox. Of course there are certain dodgy areas, like any city, but the most people I know (including myself) that have visited have had no problems. I think overall they have fewer drug related crimes in Holland compared to the rest of Europe and the USA.

Anonymous

#2031970 - 10/22/03 10:05 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

marijuana is a way to hold down/criminalize a vast portion of the counter culture.

also, stoners spend too much money on pot.

you cant be a drug addict and an american lifestyle addict.

Anonymous

Re: Why are mushrooms and other drugs illegal? [Re: Xochitl]
    #2031985 - 10/22/03 10:10 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

nice!

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2032197 - 10/22/03 11:41 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Like Xochitl says most drugs like heroin and marijuana were made illegal as a cover for racist attacks on groups which would get votes for scumbag politicians.

Mushrooms just got caught up in the right-wing hysteria about LSD.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2032426 - 10/22/03 12:52 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ChopperDave said:
On a related note, anyone here been to Amsterdam?

I have. It's nice.

Quote:

Whats it like there, since marijuana is legal there?

SWEET

Quote:

How is the crime? Ive heard that you have a 70% chance of getting mugged whereever you go, but I highly doubt that...

Crime associated with drugs usually only occurs when the drugs have been made illegal. When drugs are legal, people don't have to resort to illegal activities to obtain and produce them. Our government likes to point out the things that are wrong in society because of drugs, but what they are really pointing out are all of the things that are wrong in society because of prohibition.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #2032472 - 10/22/03 01:07 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

> On a related note, anyone here been to Amsterdam? Whats it like there, since marijuana is legal there? How is the crime? Ive heard that you have a 70% chance of getting mugged whereever you go, but I highly doubt that...

Amsterdam is the capital of Holland(the Netherlands). All major cities in Holland have coffee shops(my city = 250.000 citizens, 15 coffee shops and 4 smart shops(mushrooms etc)), nothing negative happened since it's "legal". The 70% chance is 100% bullshit. It's just a normal city.

> Officially you are not allowed to smoke it everywhere, only in designated zones (ie certain coffee shops).

Wrong. Using (all) drugs is legal in Holland.

Here's my summary of the dutch drugs-law:
Quote:

In Holland we have 2 opium acts. The first is for Hard Drugs and the second for Soft Drugs. Only cannabis products fall under Soft Drugs(list 2). Buying, selling, possessing and growing of Soft and Hard drugs is illegal. Using Hard and Soft drugs is legal, even for minors! Using drugs isn't illegal so that people don't need to be scared to search for help(heroin, crack, cocaine addicts).

The dutch government tolerates small production(5plants pp), possession(5g) and selling(only coffeeshops/max 5g pp) of Soft Drugs(Cannabis products). Tolerating is "legal" but i'm not able to explain that part of the dutch law in English.

Smart Drugs/Eco Drugs (Mushrooms, Salvia, LSA seeds, San Pedro, Peyote and Ayahuasca) are totally legal! Psilocybin falls under the first opium act but judges in Holland say that natural plants containing Psilocybin aren't illegal because blablabla . They interpret the law in a good manner . But sometimes a judge has some american blood in his veins and says that it is illegal to grow enormous amounts of mushrooms It's all about how judges interpret the dutch law. But nearly nobody is accusing mushroom growers/sellers etc so that's nice.

Dutch source: http://www.justitie.nl/publiek/criminali.....................

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: Why are mushrooms and other drugs illegal? [Re: Annom]
    #2032807 - 10/22/03 02:52 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I just read that our fucking conservative government will make it illegal for foreigners to buy weed in coffee shops... all because Germany and French were complaining about the drugs-tourists.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate