Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Grow Light, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Loc: at Home with the Kids
Vermiculite at the bottom of a grow box
    #2029060 - 10/21/03 04:38 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I just built a new setup and am waiting for spores. I built a large wooden box, inside of which I put two good sized terrariums and a grow light. When I went to buy vermiculite, the only kind I could find was this huge bag, literally the size of a very obese midget. I know that the PF Tek calls for straight vermiculite to top off the jars before sterilization and inoculation since it provides a protective barrier but allows air to pass through. I figured since I had so much that I would line the floor of my wooden box with the stuff, just in case it would help keep contaminants from entering from the ground. Is this a bad idea? I just read somewhere that you should bake your vermiculite before using it. I didn't bake the stuff I put in there. Will it make a difference? Will this increase/decrease/or not have any impact on the risk of contaminants entering the actual terrariums inside the box?

--------------------
There he goes, one of God's own prototypes--some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too wierd to live, too rare to die.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Vermiculite at the bottom of a grow box [Re: havatampa]
    #2029312 - 10/21/03 05:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

ROFL! A VERY OBESE MIDGET HAHAAHAHAHA!!!!

It wouldn't help, btw. you could line it with a trash bag, that would help. Might increase contams, as verm can contam if it's moist.

A FAT MIDGET! HAHAHA Hthats hilairous btw

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Re: Vermiculite at the bottom of a grow box [Re: lysergic]
    #2029702 - 10/21/03 07:53 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Should I take the verm. out? Is it a bad idea to have it in there or does it really matter?

--------------------
There he goes, one of God's own prototypes--some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too wierd to live, too rare to die.

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
    #2030514 - 10/21/03 11:24 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Take it out.  Anything that lies around potentially exposed to moisture is a probable contam vector.  Besides this danger, if it isn't adding anything positive, it's just more shit to clean over time.

It would be far easier to spray and clean the horizontal surfaces of the box without a layer of verm (or anything)in the way or needing to be changed all the time.

The idea of a verm barrier in jars is to trap anything that might get in by gravity through the inoculation holes, and keep it from reaching the food source and moisture it needs to thrive.  See why lining the floor of an incubator doesn't help?

I bought one of those huge bags of verm this spring and I don't even think about how to waste it.  It's not going to last nearly as long as you think if you stay busy in this hobby.

Good luck with your new setup.  Remember simple is good :wink:

my $.02

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

OfflineShrooomKing
Revolving

Loc: Returning to OZ...
Re: Vermiculite at the bottom of a grow box [Re: Ben_Stein]
    #2030658 - 10/21/03 11:56 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with Ben it would only cause more harm than good.

--------------------
A driver knows that it is not the road that is his biggest obstacle, rather it is the poles.
A great driver understands, the poles will always be there, and he must learn to adjust.

I can't keep doing this on my own... with all these... people. -daniel plainview

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #2031441 - 10/22/03 04:28 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i agree with lysergic about the obese midget  :lol: :lol: :lol:

good one  :thumbup: 

--------------------
buh

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Re: Vermiculite at the bottom of a grow box [Re: shirley knott]
    #2031853 - 10/22/03 11:18 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the advice. I usually think without acting but sometimes I act without thinking, I think this was one of those times. Oh well, cleaning out the box will at least give me something to do while I'm waiting for my spores. I have one more question though. What if I lined all the walls on the inside of the box with alluminum foil (glued in place)to reflect more light and to make it easier to sterilize the surfaces?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Grow Light, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation