Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Donana Cactus???
    #2027460 - 10/21/03 02:17 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I've been reading up on High Times Encyclopedia of Recreational Drugs (Copyright 1978) and I came across a reference to the Donana (coryphantha macremeris) cactus as being psychidelic, containing the active ingredient of macremerine (said to be 1/5 as strong as mescaline in gram potency). Is this something we may have overlooked, as I haven't heard references about this cactus in any literature or posts to date.

According to the book, "The trip is mescalinelike but not as intense. Donana is one of a dozen cacti containing alkaloids similar in their effects to mescaline. Hallucinations are commonly experienced under the influence of these cacti, whose use is strongly related to sorcery and magic among the Hichols and Tarahumaras of Mexico"

So anybody hear of or have any experinece with this plant? By the way, this book, though dated, is a really good source of info compiled from many sources of literature. Easy, insightful, and excellent reading!

Edited by biglo (10/21/03 02:18 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinestonErollEr1
The Psilocybinsolution
Re: Donana Cactus??? [Re: biglo]
    #2027886 - 10/21/03 06:15 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Does it say anything of alkaloid levels?

peace..

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #2028121 - 10/21/03 10:22 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=7785

There's a picture from lycaeum.

It's not really discussed because it's main alkaloid is macromerine and as you've stated it's less potent than mescaline. Do a search on the boards for macromerine or macremerine however it was spelled, because i know i've seen talk of the alkaloid before.

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: Donana Cactus??? [Re: neuro]
    #2028279 - 10/21/03 12:06 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I did a lil more searching and came across this:

"Ritual Use: C. Macromeris is reportedly used as a traditional hallucinogen. K. Trout states that a bioassay experience "had been very mild and very strange, with many waves of intense nausea and extremely persistent after effects, such as distorted vision and a very weird feeling of unreality lasting for weeks after its use.""

Other findings:

"Considering that there is usually no more than 0.1 percent macromerine in Donana and that a gram or more of this alkaloid may be needed to produce a psychotropic effect, one would have to consume more than a kilo of the dried cactus or 20 pounds of the fresh plant. Clearly this is not possible for most humans. If one wishes to experiment with the hallucinogenic properties of Donana, is is necessary first to make an extraction of the mixed alkaloids."

And here is this gem:

"In 1993 Ott, in his voluminous Pharmacotheon, failed to cite himself as the source of information regarding aboriginal use of C. macromeris, instead citing the 1980 publication by Schultes & Hofmann. Such circular referencing lends doubt to the plant's traditional use as a ritual hallucinogen.

As C. macromeris' hallucinogenic reference follows the publication of its alkaloid composition in 1967 it seems likely that a brief period of counterculture experimentation, based upon chemical findings, including macromerine, a "phenethylamine derivative similar in structure to mescaline," lead to the current misunderstanding of the species' ethnobotany.

A more thorough examination of the literature surrounding C. macromeris is needed either to support or discount its past or present aboriginal use. To date it would appear that any reference to native use is unsubstantiated. Anderson clearly states in The Cactus Family (2001) section titled "Ceremonial and Religious Uses of Cacti" that "no indigenous group is known to use this species ceremonially," but he also states in the main section covering the botanical aspects of the plant that "the Tarahumara use Coryphantha macromeris ceremonially." It would seem likely that this latter quote is a simple mistake, but no doubt it may lead to further confusion."

So it seems that the use of this cactus psychoactively is bunk.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2028956 - 10/21/03 03:49 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

soooo...
anybody found a cheap source for 10 grams of macromerine HCl ???
or maybe 25 grams...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden