Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Big Laughing Gyms?(PICS)
    #2015851 - 10/16/03 06:35 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Found these mushrooms growing right beneath and attached to a large tree in the middle of the woods right beside a pond. Gills are a whiteish when young but turn orange once matured,stem is not hollow,the largest cap of them all has a nipple,the caps are all orange and some are starting to make a point in the middle of the cap kind of like a cubensis,and I am taking a spore print right now.If the spore print comes out rusty orange does that mean they are a Gym.Spec(Laughing Gym) or does that just mean it is a species of Gymnopilus?Also there were no Bruising,but maybe a little brown!Thanks alot for the help!Peaceout

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNiGGy
Stranger
Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: Big Laughing Gyms?(PICS) [Re: ]
    #2015877 - 10/16/03 06:41 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

laughing gyms they are not, but neat lil mushrooms you have there none the less :smile: 

Anonymous

Re: Big Laughing Gyms?(PICS) [Re: NiGGy]
    #2015909 - 10/16/03 06:51 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hey NiGGy,Im not judging your judgement but by what can u tell that these are not Gymnopilus Specabilis?Im not trying to be rude at all,but am just trying to learn a little bit,thanks!Peace

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2015996 - 10/16/03 07:14 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2016456 - 10/16/03 09:45 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It's possible that those are a species of Gymnopilus, but the spore print should help sort things out.

They're definitely not Gymnopilus spectabilis, which is a much more robust, fleshy mushroom that tends to grow in clusters and has a ring on the stem. They also tend to be more orangish than those look.

Let us know about the spore print.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

Re: Big Laughing Gyms?(PICS) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2016727 - 10/16/03 11:25 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Oops,I forgot all about Gyms having left over veils on the stem,I CAN NOT beleive I forgot about that sorry fellaz!Anyways,the print came out kinda whiteish,or well thats the way it looks anyways!Peace!

OfflineBrainsick
Stranger
Re: Big Laughing Gyms?(PICS) [Re: ] * 1
    #2016767 - 10/16/03 11:52 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Don't take my word for it, because I'm new at this as well, but those look a lot like Armillariella tabescens, or Ringless Honey Mushroom.
I recently bought a mushroom field guide and have been going to town IDing mushrooms around where I live.
But anyway, I have found a lot of those growing out of the base of tree's, mostly dead ones. Oh, and I might add, just about all of the ones I found were clustered together.

Offlinebluemoon
journeyman

Loc: VA
    #2018679 - 10/17/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

No.  Definitely not Big Laughing Gyms.  They look like ringless honey mushrooms, however a couple do have a slight appearance of something in the fiberhead family (poisonous).  Either way they are no good.  I haven;t posted in a while, but if my avatar is still the same under my name, there should be a pic of BLG's I found in VA last year.  On a side note...Yesterday I visited the same spot, and they have started popping up again.  I took four medium sized mushrooms and chewed them up with orange juice within 10 minutes (VERY hard to do because of the amount of mushroom material you need to eat and the nasty taste), and tripped my nuts off.  I didn't get very far last year on 'em, but this year these took me by suprise.  Maybe Its because I hadn't tripped for almost a year.  I literally had no control over laughing at everything..very strange trip.  They seem to cause more euphoria and mental trip versus visual.  I could not believe how strong these were there time round.... :nut: 

--------------------
Turn Off FOX.  Bad News for America.

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia Flag
Re: Big Laughing Gyms?(PICS) [Re: bluemoon]
    #2026890 - 10/20/03 08:47 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Mmmm yes the Gyms that flourish in my neck of the woods are certainly my favourite...sounds like you found out for yourself how nice they can be. I liken them to an ecstacy experience more than anything else. Nice work. I just found two very large ones, with the strong and bitter sweet smell that my variety have. In fact only this type of big laughing gym smell so strong and sweet, you can smell the chemical in them, and even the taste is sweet and chemically bitter all at the same time..can't wait until my birthday to do them up. On a side note, did yours stain blueish/greenish at all? The type that I pick do...just another way of an ID for me...course I can always smellem before I even see em.

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Offlinebluemoon
journeyman

Loc: VA
Re: Big Laughing Gyms?(PICS) [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #2036559 - 10/23/03 02:21 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

StInvetroThomas said:
Mmmm yes the Gyms that flourish in my neck of the woods are certainly my favourite...sounds like you found out for yourself how nice they can be. I liken them to an ecstacy experience more than anything else. Nice work. I just found two very large ones, with the strong and bitter sweet smell that my variety have. In fact only this type of big laughing gym smell so strong and sweet, you can smell the chemical in them, and even the taste is sweet and chemically bitter all at the same time..can't wait until my birthday to do them up. On a side note, did yours stain blueish/greenish at all? The type that I pick do...just another way of an ID for me...course I can always smellem before I even see em.
Cheers 

:laugh: YES!  They stained bluish/greenish (yellow and blue make green effect).  Its especially pronounced in the youngin's.  And what you said about smelling them before even seeing them is very true.  I always smell these guys before seeing them.. its kindof a sickly sweet smell, kindof citrus like, but one you will never mistake again once having consumed them!  I'm trying to find them again, as they just upped and dissapered within two days of finding a flush :frown:.  I'll go again today and see if theres anything new to be discovered.  With this particular 'breed' of BLG's (g.Spectabilus?), you can also see them from a mile if a bunch are in full bloom...BRIGHT yellow orange/yellow, with huge deposits of bright, almost flourescent, rust colored spores.  These are some of the coolest looking of all cough, edible, cough mushrooms around IMO.  Nice to talk to someone else who has experienced these before!
Bluemoon 

--------------------
Turn Off FOX.  Bad News for America.

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia Flag
Re: Big Laughing Gyms?(PICS) [Re: bluemoon]
    #2041195 - 10/24/03 11:25 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Cheers, they don't seem to fruit too heavily up north here. What I mean by that is they need just the right combo of wet and cool nights...goes with many types of fungi I suppose. The first year I found them they were everywhere...this of course was before I had gotten a proper ID on them...hehe...then it was nearing the end of the season..and I only found a few...but I ate them and they were pretty good to me. Last year we had a real shitty fall precipitation wise...so also only found a moderate amount...but these were OMG good. Did not have much time this year to get out, but we had more rain than last, found a few last week...had a tonne of rain this week, a little on the cool side at night..but I am hopeful about tommorrows hunt...will keep you posted, might snap a photo or two if my muse inspires...may the mushroom hunting gods be with me...and God for that matter.

Cheers

Oh yeah...the flesh is always very nice and yellow..lovely

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates