Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineZahid
Stranger
The American Prison Camp
    #2026832 - 10/20/03 10:26 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

The American Prison Camp

Published: October 16, 2003

The International Committee of the Red Cross recently took the unusual step of publicly criticizing the United States over the confinement of the roughly 660 detainees at the Guant?namo naval base in Cuba. After visiting the base, Red Cross officials said there was a "worrying deterioration" in the mental condition of the detainees, largely because they have no idea how long they will be held or what will happen to them.

Other reports are equally dismaying: there have been 32 suicide attempts by 27 detainees. And while it is true that there have been recent, worrying reports about infiltration ? three staff members, a Muslim chaplain and two Arabic interpreters, have been charged with crimes ranging from disobeying orders to espionage ? this does not relieve the administration of the obligation to treat the detainees with justice.

Why are the men still without trial, still without rights? The Bush administration has two justifications. One is, in essence, self-defense: in the war on terrorism, in which the security of the United States is in mortal danger, normal rules cannot apply. The other, more narrow, is about legality: the Taliban and Al Qaeda are not combatants in traditional or legal terms, and are therefore not eligible for the protections due to prisoners of war under the Geneva Conventions.

Both arguments miss the point. The men held at Guant?namo are prisoners of the United States. While they may not have the same rights as American citizens, they should be treated in the highest tradition of American justice. That means they must be given some forum in which to contest their imprisonment, and there must be reasonable rules and some individualized proof for the detentions to be upheld.

That the Pentagon should be allowed to run this prison camp in total secrecy and in utter disdain of what America stands for should be heavy on the conscience of all Americans, whether libertarian or liberal, Republican or Democrat. For this reason alone, the detainees should be brought to justice or released.

The justifications offered by the administration are equally unpersuasive. The argument that the detainees are not prisoners of war because they are not uniformed members of a regular armed force has no foundation in the Geneva Conventions.

As for the claim of self-defense, it simply cannot be applied indefinitely. We accept that there are extraordinary times ? Sept. 11 was one of them ? when a government must take extraordinary measures to protect the nation. But with Guant?namo, the administration has gone far beyond the needs of the moment, seeking to ensure in every way possible that the prisoners remain indefinitely beyond the reach of law or scrutiny.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: The American Prison Camp [Re: Zahid]
    #2026977 - 10/20/03 11:12 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Zahid said:
Other reports are equally dismaying: there have been 32 suicide attempts by 27 detainees.

Hell if i actually thought there were a bunch of virgins waiting for me in heaven and i was in prison i would try to kill myself also.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Offlinewingnutx
Re: The American Prison Camp [Re: d33p]
    #2027017 - 10/20/03 11:24 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

I am shocked and amazed that demoralized prisoners might try to kill themselves.

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: The American Prison Camp [Re: wingnutx]
    #2028252 - 10/21/03 11:51 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

I'd like to know where, legally, these prisoners have any rights at all. They are on CUBAN soil, not US soil, hence, no constitutional rights. They were combatants training to kill us. I'd have thought it much better if we'd had interrogators at the second echelon to see who would be a vaulable intelligence source, and who wouldn't. Those that wouldn't would still be inAfghanistan, decomposing.

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: The American Prison Camp [Re: lysergic]
    #2028331 - 10/21/03 12:32 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

They are being held on an American Military base in cuba...which is considered American soil...same as any embassy...

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion