Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) * 41
    #20195542 - 06/27/14 06:45 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

This is part of my series "The Basics"

Principles and construction of Shotgun Fruiting Chambers (SGFC):

This guide is not focused on PF/BRF cakes per se. It's really just the basics of how the SGFC works. Having the basic concept of how it works is a good foundation to build on.

How it's made

A properly made SGFC Is made of a clear/transparent tote with 1/4" holes on all 6 sides about 2" apart in a grid pattern. All 6 sides means the 4 vertical sides AND top AND bottom.

They need 4"-5" of damp perlite. You may need to rinse the perlite a few times to get rid of the dust. The dust can accumulate at the bottom, clogging the holes. A few pieces of perlite may fall through the hole, but only a few.

Principle of operation

A properly made SGFC uses natural air currents to create high relative humidity (RH) and constant fresh air exchange (FAE).

The fresh air flows in through the bottom holes and rises up through the damp perlite assisting in evaporation. This evaporation is where you get your humidity.

Because humid air rises, it flows up and out the other holes, thus allowing more fresh air in through the bottom. This is how you get constant FAE without sacrificing humidity.

And yes, fresh air also comes in through other holes as well, but without it coming in through the damp perllite, your SGFC and cakes will dry out faster, the perlite becomes practically useless, and your FAE is reduced.

Some Things to Consider

The SGFC must not sit directly on a flat surface. It needs to be elevated. If not elevated, air can't flow in through the bottom and the whole system breaks down.

You can set your SGFC on some half-pint wide-mouth jars to elevate it. I would say at least 2 inches is minimum.

I made a little stand for mine out of some PVC I had laying around. It's about 4" tall

Running a fan in the room with your SGFC will also disrupt the natural currents and dry everything out too fast.

Because of the constant FAE, your cakes will dry out if not misted regularly.

Mist your cakes till they glisten with moisture. There is a magic time when your cakes are no longer glistening, but they still appear moist, this is when you want to mist again. The Misted Cake Project is a thread for pics of cakes to show what they look like at various stages of growth before and after misting. This thread will hopefully help you understand when to mist.

Mist as often as required. Schedules may vary slightly from region to region, but 3-6 times a day is pretty common. Misting and then evaporation off the cake surface promotes pin formation.

Mist cakes directly with a fine mist. The over-spray helps keep your perlite damp. Misting the walls serves absolutely no purpose.

Only fan after misting. The reason for fanning is to empty the SGFC of humid air. The is jump-starts evaporation from the cakes. If you fan between misting, then you risk drying the cakes out too much too fast. It's debatable if fanning even really makes a difference. I don't fan. If you do fan, it only takes a couple waves of the lid to empty the chamber.

Condensation

Condensation forms on the inside walls when the temperature inside the SGFC is higher than outside the SGFC. A properly made SGFC shouldn't have enough of a temperature difference to cause condensation. If it does, then you are not likely getting good FAE. In other words, condensation is not a good sign of proper humidity, instead it's more of a sign of low FAE.

Tub Size

Your SGFC needs to have enough room for 4-5 inches of perlite plus 5-10 inches of head space for cakes and growth. I use a 64 quart Sterilite 1928.

Really big totes can cause cakes on the outer edge to dry/evaporate faster do to uneven circulation. Really small totes are not big enough to create it's own circulation system.

Word to the wise: Don't get too bogged down wanting to know why stuff is done the way it's done or coming up with your own clever modifications or methods. Instead, do what is known to work and figure out why later.

RoggerRabbit's SGFC VIdeo(part 3 shows the SGFC construction process)

Edited by SpitballJedi (04/21/16 08:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAbshroom
Cause he can

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: SpitballJedi] * 2
    #20213255 - 07/01/14 10:57 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:mushroom2: very good explenation *thump up*
wouldn't mind to see something similar for monotubs, too? :rolleyes:

Invisiblemushmagic
supporting radical habits
Male User Gallery

Loc: Candyland
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: Abshroom] * 2
    #20213280 - 07/01/14 11:01 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Hadn't seen this yet. Nice write up jedi:super:

--------------------

Trade list in journal (partially under construction; more to be added)

Don't judge a man by what kinda shoes he in, judge a man on where that man's shoes been.

Invisibled0urd3n
Just call me "D"

Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: mushmagic] * 2
    #20213474 - 07/02/14 12:08 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Nice work! You might want to add not be careful when getting rid of the perlite dust as it's very bad for the lungs.

--------------------

InvisibleAbshroom
Cause he can

Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: d0urd3n] * 2
    #20262566 - 07/12/14 11:46 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

another question which seems very basic to me:
how high do you need to elevate the SGFC? mine sits currently on 1/2 pint jars, so they are not very high elevated. but this should be enough to get a nice air circulation, shouldn't it?

OfflineDos Ounce
Fighter of the Nightman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: Abshroom] * 1
    #20262580 - 07/12/14 11:49 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

yeah that should suffice. I have put mine on 6-8 inch tall drinking glasses too.

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: Abshroom] * 1
    #20262614 - 07/12/14 11:56 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Abshroom said:
how high do you need to elevate the SGFC?

Of course, it should go without saying that for this system to work properly, the terrarium must be elevated at least 1" above the table it's sitting on. Use blocks of wood, shot glasses, or whatever you have around the house to raise the terrarium off the table so air can circulate under it. It should also be noted that 90% of all airborne contaminants in a room are located near the floor, so make sure your terrarium has a home on a table or shelf.

Taken directly from :    http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Terrarium-Tek

InvisibleAbshroom
Cause he can

Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: PussyFart] * 1
    #20262675 - 07/12/14 12:12 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

PussyFart said:
Quote:

Abshroom said:
how high do you need to elevate the SGFC?

Of course, it should go without saying that for this system to work properly, the terrarium must be elevated at least 1" above the table it's sitting on. Use blocks of wood, shot glasses, or whatever you have around the house to raise the terrarium off the table so air can circulate under it. It should also be noted that 90% of all airborne contaminants in a room are located near the floor, so make sure your terrarium has a home on a table or shelf.

Taken directly from :    http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Terrarium-Tek

I know that it of course has to be elevated, thats why I just asked for the height and already mentioned that it's a bit elevated :wink:
Currently it's placed a bit elevated on my desk ^^

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: Abshroom] * 3
    #20263009 - 07/12/14 01:55 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

You can set your SGFC on some half-pint wide-mouth jars to elevate it. I would say at least 2 inches is minimum.

I made a little stand for mine out of some PVC I had laying around. It's about 4" tall

I added this to the OP, too

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Edited by SpitballJedi (07/15/14 10:27 AM)

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: SpitballJedi] * 1
    #20263115 - 07/12/14 02:17 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

Offlinerrdmx
Stranger
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: tripdawg420] * 1
    #20275110 - 07/15/14 03:28 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Is this chamber also good for casings?
When i do casings in it, must i mist the soil 3-6 times a day too?
Should the perlite dry, wet or very wet?

InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Loc: Ixtlan, Mexico
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: rrdmx] * 2
    #20275186 - 07/15/14 03:57 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Good Tek brother. :thumbup:

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: TheEaglesGift] * 1
    #20276005 - 07/15/14 10:01 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

thx.

Some people put small trays in them, but mostly cakes. But, yes, you can put small cased trays. A casing is a low/non nutritive layer on a substrate.

Keep in mind, if you put a bigg tray in there and cover all the surface of the perlite, it may not function as well because not as much fresh air will flow through the perlite.

What ever you put in there, the perlite should be damp.

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Edited by SpitballJedi (07/15/14 10:32 AM)

Offlinerrdmx
Stranger
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: SpitballJedi] * 1
    #20276984 - 07/15/14 02:29 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

My question was: how often the casing should be misted?

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: rrdmx] * 1
    #20276994 - 07/15/14 02:32 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Mist the substrate/cake directly with a fine mist until it glistens, then fan out the chamber.

Mist again once the water you previously applied has evaporated. We mist to replace lost moisture from evaporation.

We fan out the chamber after misting to make toom in the air for evaporation to take place, which is a main pinning trigger.

You can do this as little as twice a day.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: PussyFart] * 1
    #20661663 - 10/05/14 02:00 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PussyFart said:Mist again once the water you previously applied has evaporated. We mist to replace lost moisture from evaporation.

How can you tell when the water has evaporated? I've heard every 3 hours or 3-6 times a day and other rules of thumb (which I'm sure work fine), but I'm curious how you can tell the water has evaporated?

Also thanks for the Tek SJ, it's a good reference point if I forget some of the basics.

OfflineSagescruffy
CH
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: stareatclouds] * 1
    #20661669 - 10/05/14 02:02 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

You just look at it homie. After a bit you will develop an eye for it too.

--------------------
Love.

Offlinelechenuzz44
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: Sagescruffy] * 1
    #20661684 - 10/05/14 02:06 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Sagescruffy said:
You just look at it homie. After a bit you will develop an eye for it too.

What strain in that in that casing layer?

OfflineClosetMonster
No Fear

Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: lechenuzz44] * 1
    #20704738 - 10/15/14 12:21 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

stupid question but what if I was using the same sized FC as the one in the pics... and I did all the holes on all 6 sides but im only have 4 cakes inside

how should I spread them ? all 4 in the middle (since I wont be able to fill the area up..

or should I use a smaller FC so that the 4 cakes are even inside and close to the walls?

--------------------

InvisibleAbshroom
Cause he can

Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: ClosetMonster] * 1
    #20705435 - 10/15/14 09:00 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I personally would put them close together (of course with a little distance between them) if I don't have access to a smaller SGFC :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom