Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
At a mushroom convention, a man told me to dip my fresh ps. cyans in vitamin C water to prevent them from bluing and loosing their potency (oxidation). I immediatly went home and tried this, and saw results - I dipped some blue, bruised mushrooms in this solutions (saturated water with vitamin C pills), and the bruising went away. I have searched the net and haven't found any other references to this method of preservation. My questions is - Does this work to reduce loss of potency due to oxidation from air? Or does this ruin the mushrooms (I hope it dosen't react with the active compounds it'self).
Vitamin C is widely used in food preservation as an antioxidant, so it's reasonable to suggest that it works (if it works) by reducing (OK, bad pun) oxidation. As to whether or not it works, you'll need to find a way to measure psilocybin/psilocin content, and then compare treated v. control groups.