Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewhite_rabbit
alice in wonderland
need help
    #2025470 - 10/20/03 02:20 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

im moving away from the pk tek and want to spawn grain with straw can some one link me to the full prep of the grain from when u buy it till when u spawn it i looked in the search but it came up with an error

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: need help [Re: white_rabbit]
    #2025493 - 10/20/03 02:27 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23619

its a good grain tek, use shroom gods tek from then on.

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: need help [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #2025528 - 10/20/03 02:36 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

heres a little more micro gave me this.

.) Cut straw -> 1-3" pieces

2.) Pasteurize straw at 70 Celcius for 1 hour, making sure to wieght it down so it stays submerged.

3.) Drain and cool in a sieve or something for about one hour. Make sure there's no free water, but the straw should be damp.

4.) Mix colonized substrate *really well* into the straw in your bin, crumbling or mushing the substrate as much as you can. It's a lot less messy if you work with each half of a bin with one hand and kind of "turn" it, but the point is just to mix it really well.

5.) Compact it down into the bin so the top stays flat and it's all pressed down.

6.) Case it, cover it (I like saran wrap,) poke a dozen holes in it and let it sit at about 80F until it's all colonized. It won't look completely white like a cake, but it should be covered with mycelium and no further growth will be present in the next couple days.

Please note: people say their substrate temps rise above the room temp, so you might not want to go up to 85 F, but I have before and I've gotten good results. You might want to keep the high around 80 F to be safe -- up to you. Best thing you could do is stick a clean thermometer in the actual substrate.

With casing, I use peat and lime, but most people recommend adding vermiculite, too. Peat itself is not airy, so you have to crumble it between your fingers when applying the casing layer to make it airy. Adding vermiculite will help make it more airy, too -- the casing is up to you. I usually add about an inch for a straw casing.

For 12 quarts I'd add 1 to 2 quarts of substrate -- this is also up to you -- you can get away with using a lot less, but the more you use the faster it will colonize, so less chance for contam.

Cheers!

Offlinewhite_rabbit
alice in wonderland
Re: need help [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #2025709 - 10/20/03 03:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

ok just double checking i heard other ppl say bird seed with sunflower raises the chance of contams should i still go with this and also will it say fungicide on the package of birdseed
a few other ? can some one just list some other gains so when im out shopping i have a choice what i want to work with. also explain what kind of grain it is.
i went out to by rye grass seed and there were 15 diff kinds

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: need help [Re: white_rabbit]
    #2025821 - 10/20/03 03:53 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

wbs is a mix of millet and sunflower seeds. and some other stuff i don't know about. ive never used that. i have used parakeet food thats mostly millet that works well.as long as you have a pc which i believe you do from reading your previous growlog. u should be fine.
u should be able to find wild bird seed in any pet store or wally world. u want to stay away from the expensive stuff its probably treated. basicly ur looking for millet, wild bird seed, or rye grain.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation