Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebabas
Stranger
Boiling grains before sterilizing
    #2024737 - 10/20/03 05:50 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hi to all,

Have a question about boiling grains before PCing.
I was just wondering if you don't lose nutrients boiling the grains before.
I mean : when you boil the grains in water, there must be some if not many nutrients passing from the grains to the water.
Then, later you discard the water with the nutrients in it.
Has anyone observed a difference in yield or potency between the 2 methods : PCing jars with grains and water/PCing boiled grains ?
Just wondering.
Thanx
Bye

Babas

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDMJ
creepyatmosphere

Loc: Dungeon
Re: Boiling grains before sterilizing [Re: babas]
    #2024782 - 10/20/03 06:16 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Well, EVERYONE will surely disagree with my cousins cousin(but only out of spite and hatred) but soaking and draining just didn't seem that great. Just not enough moisture for the myc to drink!

He also says that when you PC the grains in water (dry grain w/water in jar straight to PC) has led to many problems. Dry grain on top, mushed grains, not enough water, too much water, not enough air pockets, etc, etc.

He wants you to try an experiment. If you think you are losing nutrients when cooking the grains, maybe you should take the left over water (though he never has any!) and put that in a jar and PC it. Than innoculate as you would a substrate jar. If there ARE nutrients, science says you should be able to make your own shroom water!

Good luck, sorry I couldn't answer your potency question, though I'm sure someone on here knows.

--------------------
I come alive in the darkness.

Edited by DMJ (10/20/03 06:17 AM)

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Boiling grains before sterilizing [Re: babas]
    #2024817 - 10/20/03 07:03 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I have been experimenting with Millet, before I was using rye which does not need a soak (unless you have contam problems from the grain),.

I have tried 3 methods with millet,

1. 45mins boil, drain,  and PC
  I did not like the results of this, and yes it did seem to be a  lot of grain juice in the water and the grain was a bit too sticky.

2. 24hrs cold water soak, drain, then PC, the results looked good

3. 20min boil, 8 hour soak (in the same water), then drain and PC
  Results from this look about the same as 2, there was stuff in the water. (I used it sucessfully for liquid culture, they loved it)

I would say boiling causes loss, but is it enough to worry about? I guess I will find out around the 3-4th flush :smile:

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Loc: at Home with the Kids
Re: Boiling grains before sterilizing [Re: psilomonkey]
    #2025087 - 10/20/03 10:06 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

If I PC BRF and water, will nutrients from the BRF go into the water? Could I then strain that water and use it for the water in my brf/verm./water mixture for my PF Tek? Would it make a difference?

Sorry my question is a little more basic, but I'm still learning the basics so....

-J

--------------------
There he goes, one of God's own prototypes--some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too wierd to live, too rare to die.

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: Boiling grains before sterilizing [Re: psilomonkey]
    #21457275 - 03/25/15 07:49 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

psilomonkey said:
I have been experimenting with Millet, before I was using rye which does not need a soak (unless you have contam problems from the grain),.

I have tried 3 methods with millet,

1. 45mins boil, drain,  and PC
  I did not like the results of this, and yes it did seem to be a  lot of grain juice in the water and the grain was a bit too sticky.

2. 24hrs cold water soak, drain, then PC, the results looked good

3. 20min boil, 8 hour soak (in the same water), then drain and PC
  Results from this look about the same as 2, there was stuff in the water. (I used it sucessfully for liquid culture, they loved it)

I would say boiling causes loss, but is it enough to worry about? I guess I will find out around the 3-4th flush :smile:

Yeah. I wonder. I can get starch separation from boiled grain water. I get much less starch separation if I steep. Those starches have shown to be enough nutrients to form fruit bodies.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Boiling grains before sterilizing [Re: blackdust]
    #21457307 - 03/25/15 07:55 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

:facepalm: 11 year old thread bd, backaway from the bong

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: Boiling grains before sterilizing [Re: cronicr]
    #21457319 - 03/25/15 07:57 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

did not feel the need to make a new thread when one exists. Do you have something to contribute to the question? You have a lot of experience.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #21457347 - 03/25/15 08:06 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

yes you lose nutrition to cooking but nutes are only one factor, even cakes are borderline too nutritious, use your grain water for lc's or soem other means and focus on genetics and conditions

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: Boiling grains before sterilizing [Re: cronicr]
    #21457366 - 03/25/15 08:09 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Thanks for sharing. Was just curious b/c I steeped this time as opposed to boil and got a lot less starch. I should have known better. :facepalm: Im adding this to my notes.

Finally got this WBS dry. Decided on using the pickling lime and gypsum for the steep. The additives were put in after adding the water. I used a spoon to gently distribute the additives without agitating the grains.

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

#21457384 - 03/25/15 08:13 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

PODS TEK - Growing Invitro with BRF/verm or Grass Seed containers
The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
Violet's Teks and Posts

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate