Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Loc: The Shroomery... retard
Pure Glucose
    #2020289 - 10/18/03 10:41 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I was wondering if anyone might know what OTC products have pure, or a high concentration of glucose. I want to use it in lieu of karo syrup. Also does anyone know of a brand of canned chicken/beef broth that has low saline levels? I plan on making solution (with water of course) with the two to add to my jars and "karo" tek with. I'm having trouble finding broths that won't compromise isotonic equilibrium with my spores/mycelium. I appreciate any help. Peace, Flux.  :crazy2:mmmmm...vagina :smile: 

--------------------
What'd I tell you about looking at my signature bitch!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelowercase
Drifter

Re: Pure Glucose [Re: Flux]
    #2020332 - 10/18/03 11:15 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

You can buy pure R-glucose and L-glucose at crazy little Asian food stores downtown in most places. You'll have more trouble finding low-salinity broth - by definition, concentrated soup stock is usually VERY salty (and very tasty...). Try fractionally diluting it several times, mark the dilution on each jar, and see which one grows the best.

--------------------
That is not dead which can eternal lie;
And with strange aeons even death may die.

OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Re: Pure Glucose [Re: lowercase]
    #2020461 - 10/18/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks lowercase I know just the place to get that too. I wonder if there is any chiral selectiveness for fungal glycolosis. I guess I'll go with r-glucose, that seems to be natures favorite handedness any ways.

--------------------

Invisibledoktor_alternate
card-carryingAmateurMycologistsAnonymous member
Loc: vancouver
    #2020616 - 10/18/03 01:44 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

chiral non-selectivity is a pretty rare phenomenon in the world of metabolic enzymes. you might want to set up an experiment...
get a bag of r-glocose and a bag of l-glocose. ill have to really doubt that nature has a 'favorite handedness'. especially considering that mushrooms are so wierd, biologically!

why does it have to be glucose?
you should set up a series of jars to test things like fructose(l/r) sucrose(l/r) and like whatever....
(unless this has all been done before, i havent done the requisite research yet... im just spouting my gut instincts. i suspect that glucose is just more available to humans OTC< and thus is more prefferable...)

Offlinelittlejohn747
addict

Re: Pure Glucose [Re: doktor_alternate]
    #2020714 - 10/18/03 02:22 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

how about aspramean...that synthitic shit that they use in place of sugar for diet drinks....might make some mutated shrooms, or kill you

Invisibledoktor_alternate
card-carryingAmateurMycologistsAnonymous member
Loc: vancouver
Re: Pure Glucose [Re: littlejohn747]
    #2020839 - 10/18/03 03:31 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

aspartame looks fuck all like sugar, thus it wont run through the mushrooms' biosynthetic apparatus...

http://www.finchcms.edu/cms/biochem/walters/sweet/aspartame.gif

however, you can aqueous acid-hydrolyse it into phenylalanine and aspartic acid. itl take a bit of ingenuity to sep the phenylalanine off from the aspartic acid (large-scale column chromatography...) but once u got the phenylalanine on its own, react with I2/red phosphorus to yield the resulting amphetamine.

-> but why bother fucking with aspartame to get your phenylalanine when you can buy it by the bottle OTC? i dunno...
but aspartame is not totally uninteresting...

but for all you enterprising chemists out there:
Synthetic outline for d-phenylalanine -> dexedrine

* Reduction of the carboxylic acid with LiBH4/TMSCl
* BOC protection of the amino group
* Conversion of the alcohol to the iodide
* Reduction of the iodide with N-Selectride (sodium tri-sec-butylborohydride)
* BOC deprotection with TriFluoroAcetic acid

This is what they call a enantiomerically pure reduction of amino acids. It means that if you start with D-phenylalanine, that you get the good stuff; dexedrine. You will need a well equipped lab, do not try this in your kitchen: the reactions are carried out in flame-dried flasks under a dry nitrogen atmosphere. I think that the reaction where they substitute the alcohol for the iodide, is the Mitsunobu reaction, but it seems that they have used imidazole instead of diethyl azodicarboxylate (DEAD) to activate the triphenylphosphine toward nucleophilic attack by the alcohol.

https://www.rhodium.ws/chemistry/amphetamine.phenylalanine.html

or...

Starting from D-phenylalanine, dextroamphetamine sulfate and methamphetamine hydrochloride were synthesized. The reaction sequence proceeds through three intermediates, in which the absolute configuration of the asymmetric carbon atom is changed but the relative configuration remains the same. Either product can be obtained from a common intermediate by altering the reductive conditions employed for the removal of a carbamate protecting group. Following initial observations on the sympathomimetic properties of amphetamine and related compounds1-4, the racemate of amphetamine was introduced into clinical medicine for the relief of nasal congestion5. The (S)-(+)-isomers of amphetamine [dextroamphetamine (V)] and methamphetamine (VI) (Scheme I) have been used in the therapy of obesity, narcolepsy, parkinsonism, and certain behavioral disorders6. Considerable interest also has been generated in the central stimulant properties of these compounds7.

https://www.rhodium.ws/chemistry/amph.phenylalanine.html

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Pure Glucose [Re: doktor_alternate]
    #2022845 - 10/19/03 02:29 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

What about maltose? Maltose is glucose+glucose. Just heat it up in boiling water to break it into monosaccharides.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Pure Glucose [Re: daussaulit]
    #2022976 - 10/19/03 03:34 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Fructose is different than glucose; there's d- and l- isomers of glucose -- the d- isomer is referred to as "dextrose" (fungi seem to prefer the d- isomer according to the Difco manual.)

If you want glucose, just use corn syrup -- that's what's in it (with some other sugars, but who cares?  It works.)  Honestly, there's no reason to need pure glucose of one isomer unless you're doing experiments on the glucose metabolism of mushrooms.  The only way to get pure d- or l- isomers without a lab is to buy it that way.  In a media you don't want too much carbon, anyway, so the amount of sugar is limited.

Beef broth is from, of course, beef.  That would be good maybe for growing bacteria, but not for fungi.  Don't mean to knock on your post, but why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

Dr. A -- thanks for the synth posts -- I may look into that (I'm a speed freak.)  They don't really belong here, but interesting :wink:

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Re: Pure Glucose [Re: micro]
    #2025012 - 10/20/03 09:36 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

You got me there micro, I do tend to put WAY too much effort into things I shouldn't, but I really like chemistry (and shrooms :smile:) so I tend to go overboard. As for the glucose over fructose I was pretty sure that eucaryotes (sp?) used glucose faster and before fructose and that the larger percentage of biological molecules were right handed. I guess you're right about the bacteria thing I was just assuming that fungi would like extra nitrates. I'm going to try to keep things simple from now on. Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it. Peace, Flux. :eyemouth:  btw you're a smart mo-fo Dr. a.

--------------------

Edited by Flux (10/20/03 09:38 AM)

Offlineo0PapaSmurf0o
AscendedMaster

Loc: satx.rr.com
    #2076237 - 11/06/03 06:24 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

actually micro beef broth can be used to grow mushrooms. If anybody would bother to read the books such as growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms listed in the back are all kinds of things one would not normally associate with growing mushrooms i.e. tankage which is all the shit that's leftover from the slaughterhouse. Any source of nitrogen if used appropriately can be used in the cultivation of mushrooms.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Pure Glucose [Re: o0PapaSmurf0o]
    #2076488 - 11/06/03 08:56 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah -- give them food and they'll grow. I think it's better to use something specific for fungi, though -- there is such a thing as C:N ratio.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: Pure Glucose [Re: micro]
    #2078108 - 11/06/03 06:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

u can get glucose from a pharmacy my brother.
coupel bucks for a abotu a litre and u could prob water taht down
peace

EDIT: im retarded exlude my post. haha. i thought u said glycerin for some reason.but mayeb u can still find it there i dunno. mayeb they coudl order it. peace

--------------------
And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

Edited by the man (11/06/03 06:38 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale