Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineaustin_72283
Mr. or Sir
Male

Loc: west
what are the long term effects of shrooms?
    #2023895 - 10/19/03 09:34 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I have been looking everywhere for the long term and short term effects and i am wondering ARE THERE ANY?
the only thing i found was fartigue and stomache disconfort and gas pains and thats the only thing i found and thats short term.
my other question is it alright to do shrooms every week and if not why not?

thanks
austin

--------------------
a job worth doing is a job worth doing right.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsilo
Daytime Tripper

Loc: Germany
Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: austin_72283]
    #2024079 - 10/19/03 10:31 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"normal" long term effects may include a change in your view of life, your understanding of the universe and IMHO you will be more and more unplugged from normal life and normal people. I mean not that it is impossible to live a normal life, but you will become somewhat alienated and things that are of importance to non-shroomers will just let you smile about.

In my experience, each trip, whether with shrooms or some other psychedelic, let you stay a bit more in the shrooms world. That is not a problem, at least not for me, but it is for sure that i see the world "through the shrooms eyes", and sometimes it is just funny how important are unimportant things for some people.

Other, not so common long term effects are HPPD and PTSD. However, it is possible to experience these problems and everyone should be aware of these dangers.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2024094 - 10/19/03 10:38 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Usually a softer ego and a slightly to very different worldview  :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #2024124 - 10/19/03 10:50 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

austin_72283 said:

my other question is it alright to do shrooms every week and if not why not?

I cant believe you guys didn't even answer this the easiest answer of all. Yes you can do them every week but why would you? Your tolerance would just be so high that you wouldn't even feel anything. Its best to give space in between each trip. I wait about 3-4 weeks before I dose again and seem to be long enough for me.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2024595 - 10/20/03 03:07 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

First....the bad.

Some people with mental predispositions can go crazy from eating mushrooms.

Now the good.

I think if you feel mushrooms are ok for you and you use them responsibly, that the long term effects for you will be good. You will likely find yourself: in better tune with the natural world, more spiritually aware, and generally better for it.

At least this is what mushrooms have provided me.

You can eat mushies every week. The biological tolerance will wear off with in 48-72 hours for most people. I find that mushies are self moderating, meaning you won't eat them too much, because they won't let you. Just make sure your responsibilities are met. As anything can be bad for you if used incorrectly or irresponsibly.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: Joshua]
    #2024637 - 10/20/03 04:11 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I have experienced no negative long term effects from mushrooms. I dosed for the first time about 5 years ago and have eaten shrooms a few dozen times since then. Besides tons of good times and becoming interested in things I would of never turned a head for (like different types-stlyes of music) I have not detected any psychological or physical effects at all. Shrooms do indeed expand the mind so if you discover that you have a greater outlook on life then this is normal and a good thing at that. I dont want to get off topic here but shrooms and acid are very similar and I have had friends that have gone to San fran for college and when they came back to visit, they seemed totally spaced out. These friends were hitting sheets of acid weekly so I would'nt compare their condition with eating a dose of shrooms weekly. I dont know if they'd get back in touch with the real world if they laid off for a few months but when I saw them, they were fucked up outta there minds. You dont want to get caught up in a life trip. You'll know when you are starting to do more than you can handle. Just make sure your schooling or work is not negatively effected by this drug. Most of my work has to do with musis so mushrooms tend to put a nice little twist on my musicianship. I did mushrooms 3 times a week in Amsterdam for 6 weeks when I was interning there and besides building up a little bit of a tolerance, I detected no ill effects. It takes me 2-3 days after a trip to get a full experience outta the same dosage amount....But everyones different.

OfflineSummerBreeze
Phyconaughty

Loc: Antwerpen.
Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: orizon]
    #2024709 - 10/20/03 05:19 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"'fartigue and stomache disconfort"

"Fartigue?",
No one should have to suffer from chronic fartigue syndrom.

I started takin' mushrooms when i was 15, 15 years on and i'm not doin' to shabby at all thank you very much.

A predispostion to giggle at inanimate objects.
The ability to think round corners with clarity, though i cant really attribute that purely to the 'shrooms.
Pretty much a well rounded individual.

--------------------
"Must'nt Grumble!".

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #2025143 - 10/20/03 10:44 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I have been looking everywhere for the long term and short term effects and i am wondering ARE THERE ANY?

Constant amazement at the complexity, diversity and beauty of nature/life.

:wink:

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #2025434 - 10/20/03 12:09 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Physically there are none that I am aware of. Mentally, there may or may not be many or there may or may not be any. HPPD is always possible side effect.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: djd586]
    #2025834 - 10/20/03 01:55 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

dejavu

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #2025875 - 10/20/03 02:05 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

what are the long term effects of shrooms?

A permanently altered perspective about everything fundamental to the workings of life and this world.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlineunproportionate
undefined line
    #2027564 - 10/21/03 12:55 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Effects can be anything: it is how you come to understand the expirence of mushrooming. Depending on how you personally believe things to be, it can range from slightly exagerating your deepest beliefs to simply launching your perspectives light years ahead of anyone living within several miles. As far as I am concerned, set and setting are the two foremost directors of how shrooms will change you?

Some on this board say, 'it takes me through that hole in the wall to see through the eyes of a shroom'; someone else can say it dissovles the consesus reality we overacheivingly (as americans, i guess) grope for. The list of what shrooms means goes and on--if you goto South America, there is a sharp and distinct identification of shrooming and what mushrooms mean. It is enamored with far more 'organic emphasis' and inner voyaging that revolves outward into the world around them.

To me, what sticks out among all of this diversity is that the successful shroomers seem to develop rituals and customs with their shrooming habit. This goes back to set and setting.

If set is widened not only to how you feel that particular day, but how you feel about shrooms, about life and about venturing into pyschotropics, then set can also be the set of beliefs you attribute to the world around you. Case in point, Gaia (sp) or the belief in the earth as a living entity is often embraced by many who shroom and seriousily ponder these type of things. Similarily, someone who simply shrooms to party can, depending on their personality, burnout fairly easy as they are searching for the difference of reality shrooms illuminates intheir mind. But, these people are in a way 'soulless'--they are looking for what dare might call 'the quick fix/alternative entertainment'. Tribesmen, proactive shroomers, and etc instead have a foundation of belief sets surrounding shrooms specifically, and life in general. Because of this life-set trajectory, most of these shrooming users can easily overcome anxities that might arrise--if they arrise at all. They have a platform of identity for themselves, the world and the shrooms they use which can serve (automatically in their minds through just a general habit of attitude or something more artificially scripted such as reading the tibeten book of the dead) as a launch pad for deepening this understanding.

The proper setting follows from this: just be comfortable where you can be, and as long as you have the 'will power of zen' (well, I mean, the ability to remain cool through reflection and understanding) you can trip wherever you feel is best.

The main idea I'd like to point out is that EVERY TRIP is unique as is EVERY PERSON who chooses to trip. Hence, proactive shrooming is essentially a commitment to yourself to at least in part, organize and center yourself in such a way you can be respond in the world around you. If shrooming is an inner journey, use it as such; if shrooming is something that enhances (even revolutionizes) the way you can understand and communicate, shroom with people who can respond. If shrooming iz a romantic festival of living, shroom under a full moon.

It is easy to burnout, you need to know your limits. You must be mentally capable of letting a pyschadelic envelope dissolve the normal boundries of your given, typical reality. Clinging too tightly to some ideal can lead to trauma, if that ideal (like most memetic christianity) clamps down on expression--shrooms, at a bottom and fundemental line, always evoke expression.

But like I said, if reality is one envelope (break on through, pushing the envelope), so is the world shrooms unleashes on you. Essentially, shrooming (regardless if you are being possessed by shroom spirit) is an integrated into who you are--NO PART of shrooming derives outside of you. I mean to say, everything and anything you expirence on shrooms is as much as the shrooms as it is you: hense, anything you expirence on shrooms is from your own brain and mind.

This is mostly important because, as pyschadelics and everyday reality have their boundries, these boundries are our own. It is up to you then to expand who you are and what you know, so that you can burrow in this complexity and depth of yourself, constantly pushing the envelope that much larger.

I once red some trip report where some guy took 40 grams in the desert: he had a hell of a time, bombing around on the backs of electrons and zipping through dna hung around the edges of the universe. But this is all because he knew about these things in the first place, like he said: you can only go so far as what you have already in you.

Or, if you've skipped to the bottom: try some paced exercise like running at least once every other day (endorphiines are neat and it'll exercise your brain) and learning as much as you can (also try and focus your learning to really get a grasp on some set of topics).

Offlineunproportionate
undefined line
Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: unproportionate]
    #2027593 - 10/21/03 01:09 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

OH, otherwise I'd like to add this physiollogical note:

It has been known that for every naturally occuring drug, there is a corrosponding receptor in the brain. It is also known in nuerology that if you use a part of the brain often (like taxicab drivers will have a certain part of their brain expanded because they persistently know directions; or a musician and her find set of hands...) it tends to develop that region of the brain.

Hence, it can be safely assumed if you use pyscilo often enough, you will shroomify your brain. Whether this is good or bad, is how shrooms affect you: for most people who use shrooms as a means of widening communication (terrence mckenna often refers to shrooms as enlargening the communiative faculties of the brain) you will probably have residual influence the rest of your life.

(kind of like working out, you build the muscle and, if you do it long enough, your body will always 1) have some denser muscle 2) be physically altered per cell to hold more/ quickly recover/ be that much more advanced )

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: unproportionate]
    #2027635 - 10/21/03 01:27 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

That is, by far, the best post I've ever read on this board. :mushroom2: :mushroom2:  I understand what you are saying; though I've only shroomed a relatively low amount of times (8 or 9), I can really relate to many issues you bring up.  For instance, the fact that set is a lot wider than your immediate emotional state.  You can't gain knowledge without climbing.  I had some separation anxiety, I guess you could say, on my second and by far best trip.  I find that working these things out is not without struggle, but the long term effects of periodic doses of enlightenment are most certainly positive.  You may notice things wrong with the world, probably much more often than you had before.  But thinking back, why would you want to live in a less conscious state.  Watch American Beauty, and realize that you can never become that way.  Appreciate it.  He broke free of the more oppresive effects that society can potentially have, it was what his humanity, his relationship with the rest of us, with the earth, was urging him to do.  When the going gets tough, I remind myself that I have that same overwhelming presence at my back, a decidedly benevolent and infitiely complex, yet also clear and simple.  I have a pretty big support group  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: Noviseer]
    #2027648 - 10/21/03 01:31 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

BTW, my post was at first aimed at unproportionate, the rest is an explanation and recommendation to austin.  Good luck buddy, don't overdo it. :grin:

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: Noviseer]
    #2028081 - 10/21/03 07:58 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hi unproportionate, pretty good reply, however I should point out to you that it is Mesoamerica where the shrooms are used by indigenous peoples not South America. No South American Indians are known to use entheogenic mushrooms. IT is M is in Mesoamerica where their cultural heritage began and range is from Oaxaca Mexico to Guatamala where the Mayans may or may not have also used them.

P. mexicana is the preferred species of the maxatec Indians and has also been identified from Guatamala but the Spanish conquistadors destroyed all records of the Mayan peoples. So it is unknown what the mayans did. Numerous Mushroom stones (over 200) were found and documented from Central America, particularly from Guatamala. There are seven main groups of Indians in the state of Oaxaca, who use psilocyian mushrooms in Healing and curing ceremonies. nine Indian tribes in M?xico use sacred mushrooms or did in the past. Five of these--the Mazatec, Mixtec, Mixe, Chatino and Zapotec indians--are located in the state of Oaxaca. Four others dwell elsewhere; [one tribe] the Nahuatl [are found], from the center of M?xico to the Pacific in Colima and Chiapas and to the Gulf of M?xico in Veracruz. Of these, the Mazahuan, Otomi and Tarascan indians apparently no longer use the sacred mushrooms, having abandoned them at some point in their forgotten past.

They do not take them to see God as western civilization does, they take them in healing rituals knonw as veladas.

Yes set and setting is very important and while many take shrooms to party, as I have seen parties with thousands on shrooms they are not really what one would say is a party drug. they are more personal in small groups of people form twop to four or six.

Here are Dr. Holister et al's., effects for psilocyhine intoxication.

PSYCHOACTIVE EFFECTS OF PSILOCYBIAN MUSHROOMS
Symptoms produced by eating fresh hallucinogenic mushrooms begin to occur within 15 to 30 minutes after ingestion (or from 5 to 10 minutes when prepared in the form of tea or soup). Symptoms persist for up to four to six hours after ingestion. In 1960, Clinical effects for psilocybine intoxication in humans was reported as being Hollister et al., 1962):

"0-30 minutes - Slight nausea, giddiness (light-headed), abdominal discomfort, weakness, muscle aches and twitches, shivering, anxiety, restlessness, and a numbness of lips.

30-60 minutes - Visual effects (blurring, brighter colors, sharper outlines, longer after-images, visual patterns with closed eyes). Increased hearing, yawning, sweating, facial flushing. Decreased concentration and attention, slow thinking, feelings of unreality, depersonalization, dreamy state. Inco-ordination, tremulous speech.

60-120 minutes - Increased visual effects (colored patterns and shapes, mostly with eyes closed). Wave-motion of viewed surfaces. Impaired distant perception. Euphoria, increased perception, and a slowed passage of time.

120-240 minutes - Waning and nearly complete resolution of above effects. Returning to normal within 4-12 hours. Other effects often include: Decreased salivation and appetite; uncontrollable laughter; transient sexual feelings and synesthesias (e.g., `seeing' sounds)."

For comparison with the clinical experience described above, the following is an excerpt from one of R. Gordon Wasson's experience with psilocybin mushrooms:

"The mushrooms take effect differently with different persons. For example, some seem to experience only a divine euphoria, which may translate itself into uncontrollable laughter. In my case I experienced hallucinations. What I was seeing was more clearly seen than anything I had seen before. At last I was seeing with the eye of the soul, not through the coarse lenses of my natural eyes. Moreover, what I was seeing was impregnated with weighty meaning: I was awe-struck."

And treatment of too many mushrooms and flashback info is also presented here below.

TREATMENT FOR PSILOCYBIAN MUSHROOM POISONING
The major dangers associated with psilocybin poisonings are primarily psychological in nature. Anxiety or panic states ("bad trips"), depressive or paranoid reactions, mood changes, disorientation and an inability to distinguish between reality and fantasy may occur.

Recommended treatment for this type of poisoning should always be primarily supportive. Mycologist Dr. Joseph Ammirati of the University of Washington and his colleagues claim that "no specific treatment can be recommended for psilocybin poisoning in humans". Other doctors have "stress[ed] the importance of measures to reduce absorption of the toxins involved". This involves either, e.g., gastric lavage or emesis Lincoff & Mitchell, 1977; Rumack & Saltzman, 1978; Smith, 1978).

Emesis. 15-30 cc of ipecac syrup followed by large amounts of oral liquids (500 cc).

Supportive treatment: i.e. the "talk-down" technique is the preferred method for handling "bad trips". It involves non-moralizing, comforting, personal support from an experienced individual. This is further aided by limiting external stimulation such as intense light or loud sounds and letting the person lie down and perhaps listen to soft music.

Tranquilizers need only be used in extreme situations and are generally not considered to be necessary. Diazepam, 0.1 mg/kg in children, up to 10 mg in adults, may be used to control seizures.

According to Dr. Rick Strassman of the University of New Mexico, anti-psychotics have gone out of favor for the treatment of `bad trips'. Specifically, medicines with anti-cholinergic side effects, such as chlorpromazine, should not be given as these mushrooms can have marked anti-cholinergic effects of their own.

In 1988, Dr. Jansen noted that cases which present medically fall into several groups:

Those who have taken the drug with little knowledge of hallucinogens and in the absence of sensible persons who can take care of them. These are more likely to be adolescents. They may self-present but are more often brought for medical attention by their parents.

Those who fall as a result of impaired balance or muscle weakness and are knocked out or otherwise injured as a result.

Those who are having a `bad trip'. These may involve acute anxiety and panic, depression, paranoid reactions, disorientation and an inability to distinguish between reality and fantasy.

Cases of idiosyncratic physical reactions such as cyanosis.

Those with recurring phenomena after the mushroom effects should have passed, including prolonged psychosis.

When the history is clear and the signs are suggestive of psilocybian intoxication, it is best not to artificially empty the stomach either by emesis with ipecac or by lavage. Treatment shows that emptying the stomach had no effect on the duration or intensity of the experience once psychological manifestations had properly commenced. Dr. Jansen maintains that unless there is a reason to suspect that a more toxic fungus has been ingested, or if the patient is a young child, induced emesis is not necessary, not helpful and may make the situation much worse if the patient is already aggressive and agitated.

Other doctors have also speculated that a lavage is not merited if psilocybian mushrooms have been positively identified as the source of discomfort. It has also been suggested that "gastric intubation can be difficult in these young patients who are often already distressed and not infrequently aggressive. Furthermore the mushrooms may block the standard lavage tubes [used] for drug overdoses."

The inherent danger from the ingestion of wild mushrooms lies not so much in the consumption of an hallucinogenic variety, but rather in the picking and eating of a toxic species which might resemble an hallucinogenic variety.

Dr. Gast?n Guzm?n (and his colleagues wrote that "field and laboratory studies strongly indicate that psychoactive mushroom use as it normally occurs does not constitute a drug abuse problem or a public health hazard" (Guzm?n et al., 1976). In addition, a recent survey conducted among college students in California, suggests that "the low frequency and few negative effects of [hallucinogenic mushroom] use indicate that abuse does not present a social problem, nor is there evidence for predicting the development of a problem" Thompson et al., 1985).

FLASHBACKS
In 1973, Dr. Hall was the Principal Research Officer of the Narcotics Section of the Commonwealth Police Force in Canberra. Dr. Hall had also reported that several drug users had been experiencing recurring `flashbacks' from mushrooms that were similar to `flashbacks' which were associated with LSD consumption.

According to Dr. Karl L. R. Jansen, there is not any firm evidence that mushroom `flashbacks' can occur. Researchers in 1983, have reported that out of 318 specific cases of Psilocybe intoxications occurring in England between l978-l981, 21 patients experienced `flashback phenomena of some form' for up to four months after ingestion", and also mentioned that some of these were the result of drug synergy and polydrug abuse.

"...However, with such a controversial phenomena as `flashbacks', it is necessary to specify precisely what form these do take, so that they may be distinguished from psychological stress reactions wrongly attributed to past drug use." Dr. Hall also pointed out that "if solutions of mushroom extracts were injected intravenously, the results could be very serious." There are no known cases of such injections, and it seems extremely unlikely that anyone would attempt this.

mjshroomer

Here are a few references to read about the Aztecs and these sacred entheogenic fungi

http://mushroomjohn.com/names.htm

and

http://mushroomjohn.com/aztec1.htm

Edited by mjshroomer (10/21/03 08:08 AM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2028094 - 10/21/03 08:06 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Good info... somebody should gather all these posts and thoughts together into a single work and post it in the faq forum.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: Seuss]
    #2028098 - 10/21/03 08:09 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

They are i the site at mushroomjohn.com as are much more valid shroom information and at erowid.com and in the Shroomery's general Information section.

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: Xenophobic]
    #2028105 - 10/21/03 08:13 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Deja vu is more common with use associated with LSD intake, not from the use of shrooms.

Deja vu is a moment in your life time when you feel or think this instance you are thinking it may have occured osoemwhere in your past or past life.

mj,

A rememberance of something from ones past or future. I had such a feeling at the Monterey Pop Festival in the summer of love.

The Beattles knew this feeling when they sang, "we have all been here before."

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (10/21/03 08:15 AM)

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2028488 - 10/21/03 11:30 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Deja vu as in I swear this topic has been discussed before. :smile:

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

Offlineaustin_72283
Mr. or Sir
Male

Loc: west
final thanks [Re: Xenophobic]
    #2042563 - 10/25/03 05:29 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i would like to Thank everyone who replied to my question and now i feel more knowledgeable and feel armed with information.
thanks again
every one especially
mjshroomer
unpropotionate
AND EVERYONE ELSE THANKS A LOT

austin

--------------------
a job worth doing is a job worth doing right.

OfflineTold
Artiest

Loc: Rockies
Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: Xenophobic]
    #2042707 - 10/25/03 06:30 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Xenophobic said:
dejavu

i had this before i started shroomin. crazy like 10 times a day.

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: Told]
    #2044214 - 10/26/03 07:32 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

@Told

:smile:

I never meant it as dejavu is a long term effect of shrooms.  I meant it as, I have read this topic over and over on this board.  It's been done over and over in the "General Questions" (this one) forum.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: Seuss]
    #2959306 - 08/03/04 07:59 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

>somebody should gather all these posts and thoughts together into a single work and post it in the faq forum.

I agree.

OfflineKras
Male User Gallery

Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: Anno]
    #3740278 - 02/06/05 09:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well... When I started my adventures with p. semilanceata I triped 4 times in month with 2 days in a row. After that I'm still suffering (about 4 months for now) a mid effects of HPPD but you can get used to it. Neverless after my 4th trip during October I was in bad psychological shape, suffering PTSD. Remember that working with your energy (mostly meditations), having someone very close to you (member of a family, maybe a girl/boy-friend), etc. can be very helpful if you have hard time after to deep Voyage into your deeper parts of Self.
Respect Shrooms as truly sacred creations of the ultimate Creator and you will be just fine. Start to treat them as a drug and their spirits will punish you for your arrogance. Myths, fairy tales, etc. are very accurate with Shrooms.
Btw. I wonder how many European fairy tales, legends, stories and strange creatures (like Ents or Gnomes) where discovered after fungus "poisoning"...

--------------------
enjoy life!

OfflineDamn
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: Kras]
    #3742524 - 02/06/05 08:40 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

ive had my share of mushroom trips, a few 7 gram doses at the most.i trip usually 5-10 times a year, nothin too extreme. but when they do come around usually the trip is around 5grams or so. As far as visually, sometimes i have some wierd morphing and mild mushrooms visuals , its wierd. they arent anything crazy just very mild visuals.the last few days ive noticed it more, but i also have pretty vivid tracers during the day and night time. i heard that could be a little effect from LSD, which could be the reason but ive only had the LSD experience twice, both 2 blotter hits of what i was told was "high quality" acid. it was very intense, and was what seemed to be very clean acid. i dont know if these are symptoms of HPPD? none of these little side effects arent anything thats too noticeable, but it seemes like the last few days they have been for frequent. oo well, boy how i do love the mushrooms.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------

Offlinecyclone666
Stranger
Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: Damn]
    #5006385 - 12/02/05 11:46 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I haven't had any physical effects. But my math in school is worse, but I'm not entirely sure it's because of shrooms.

Offlinegephmour32
Stranger
    #9052214 - 10/09/08 05:58 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i am an ex-mush dealer. i sold pounds weekly and tripped daily. the only short term effects of mushrooms besides the obvious 'trip', the normal loss of appetite and stomach pains is the mind change you experience while in the trip. the way you think when your tripping sticks with you after the peaks are gone. I took a quarter oz. (7g) everyday for 7 months and there are much more long term effects as long as your continuously doing them. The only physical pain usually experienced are back pains which are not painful to the average person. Mental long term effects are very intense, you can experience days that passed by in a flash, moments after their over. Mental dependency (not addiction_, hearing voices, talking to yourself like its a buddy from the lunch table in high school. i STRONGLY recommend only taking mushrooms, no matter what dosage, only a couple times a month at tops and never with people you do not trust with your deepest darkest secret.  ~JMOE~

Offlinegephmour32
Stranger

#9052246 - 10/09/08 06:13 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

by the way everyone before me to post. try tripping 7g every DAY for 7 MONTHS straight with a couple accidental 14g dosages. i know the long term effects better than most and I'm always happy to share my experiences with the funny guys, boomers, booms...Psychedelic Mushrooms. ~JMOE~

Offlinegephmour32
Stranger

Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: gephmour32]
    #9052413 - 10/09/08 07:46 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

This form is old as fuck haha

Offlinedeadlynightshade
Stranger
Male
    #9053054 - 10/09/08 11:11 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

if you trip enough, you'll probably get serotonin defficiancy.  the way it increases serotonin..  the brain has ways of compensatin for things. too much serotonin means it tries to take it back to normal by reducing it. since it causes an overflow of serotonin it might also damage recepters. like cocaine; too much dopamine= low levels of dopamine thereafter, and dopaminergic recepter damage.
i'm sure mushrooms don't do that much damage. and what you learn from the trip can enormously outway any damage.

sorry if any of this is wrong, but i've done a lot of study/research.

Offlinegephmour32
Stranger

Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: deadlynightshade]
    #9053221 - 10/09/08 11:47 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

it sounds like you did a little research the old fashion way. i did my research hands on and i completely agree with everything in your post ~JMOE~

OfflineAngel_Above
Nobody
Male

#9053228 - 10/09/08 11:48 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Geph... why revive such an old post?

Offlinegephmour32
Stranger

Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: Angel_Above]
    #9053236 - 10/09/08 11:50 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I'm a new member and i like to think that I'm a little knowledgeable about this subject. it caught my attention so i shared what i could. i think its good this post is revived, people like to know what their getting into before they do it ya know? ~JMOE~

Offlinegephmour32
Stranger

#9053382 - 10/09/08 12:30 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Angel?

Offlinelibertyshroom
Turn up the silence

Loc: Inside of Emptyness
Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: deadlynightshade]
    #9458493 - 12/18/08 08:18 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deadlynightshade said:
if you trip enough, you'll probably get serotonin defficiancy.  the way it increases serotonin..  the brain has ways of compensatin for things. too much serotonin means it tries to take it back to normal by reducing it. since it causes an overflow of serotonin it might also damage recepters. like cocaine; too much dopamine= low levels of dopamine thereafter, and dopaminergic recepter damage.
i'm sure mushrooms don't do that much damage. and what you learn from the trip can enormously outway any damage.

sorry if any of this is wrong, but i've done a lot of study/research.

Psilocin chemically resembles serotonin and replaces it, so serotonin would build up and not be overused.

--------------------

"Trip to heave and ho, up down, to and fro"

We have been to the moon, we have charted the depths of the ocean and the heart of the atom, but we have a fear of looking inward to ourselves because we sense that is where all the contradictions flow together.
    -Terrence McKenna           

Offlinecircle N
Male

Loc: texas
    #16247549 - 05/17/12 09:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I recently came out of a state of mind that I belive was caused by shrooms. I didn't know I was any differant till I came out. So for about a month I had a very cloudy yet more simple mind. And maybe cause I didn't know I was like this at the time, I was more dickish. Also know this might not be typical ( I hung out with people on shrooms wile I was sober and they wer wondering wat I was on) but mainly this might not be typical cause my body doesn't like THC and it does crap to me that weed does to no onelse.  My temporary state of mind wasn't pleasant but the trip was also very scary.

--------------------
thinking about being a chemist to cook LSD

Offlineshelkov181
...wubwub
Male

Loc: Genezleganooby
    #16247667 - 05/17/12 10:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If used responsibly the only long term effects you'll find should be an altered perspective on the world. This is usually for the better.

Physiologically, there won't be any differences from long term use. But that doesn't mean tripping every week for long periods of time is a good thing. I think if you tried doing that, you would soon see the fault in it (hopefully). It won't harm you physically to trip that often, but it will gradually become more and more of a psychological burden. Even tripping every two weeks for a few months seemed to add up for me personally, and I've been enjoying my sobriety since taking a break from it. If you do it too often it'll start to loose its magic, and you may experience subtle perceptual changes in daily life. This is normal and fades with abstinence, but I bet if you binged on psychedelics for long enough it could develop into HPPD.

In my opinion tripping that often just isn't worth it and not really in the spirit of the experience. Everyone needs time to integrate and reflect and without that it just becomes a burden on the psyche. Dosing with responsible frequency is just part of making the most out of what mushrooms have to offer.

--------------------
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.”
― Terence McKenna

Offlinedtp
Stranger

Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: shelkov181]
    #17425784 - 12/21/12 02:27 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

well i tripped a few times over the past year, ending with twice a week for a couple weeks. ive stopped now for about a week.

i am battling alcoholism. i was a raging drunk leaving paths of emotional and material destruction.

im 60 days free from alcohol now. i've been going to meetings. one trip... while about a month free from alcohol, all i wanted to do was stop smoking herb and stop tripping...forever.... and wish i instead had a fun time at my group therapy.

i've always had "flashbacks" even as a child before experimentation. Isn't this what our imagination is all about? I've also always cycled being introverted due to depression. Daydreaming....

I am getting some tracers and vivid daydreams lately. I've unlocked my creative side a bit, so it seems natural too relive moments vividly when trying to remember. My life is a bit solitary and boring latey, so its welcomed. I guess flashbacks are a problem when they occur outside acceptable situations?

I do have a new found value for life. I think a few shroom trips and group therapy have helped pull my head out of my ass and my life out of the gutter. I have began to aspire to be like water, and live with nature....I want to stop killing myself with fermented beverages and whatever the hell it was I was doing before, mainly causing trouble for myself and others.

I have no desire to do anything but vape calming herb, drink calming camomile tea, and some days have a few organic cigarettes. i am in a really good place. My mind is beginning to work better than it has in years.

I still see faults in my behaviors, and how they perpetuate my depression. If what I think I see is accurate or not is another question. I still cause pain in others not only by actions post-"enlightment" that require apology, but from all of my past actions. I am grateful for what I now have.

*This story is fictitious

Offlineallseeingike
Male User Gallery

Loc: elgin ill-miami fl
Re: what are the long term effects of shrooms? [Re: dtp]
    #17427762 - 12/21/12 01:44 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

compassion, love, learning more about yourself and what makes you happy, learning that god is not a man in the sky but just pure unconditional love, knowing death isnt real and we are eternal, seeing the fractal nature of life, curing anxiety and ocd and even cluster headaches, helping with addictions and drug abuse, helping you better you life and doing the rigth thing, allowing you to have mystical experiences that make you appreciate life and everything in it, and according to some people making your brain bleed

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale