Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Bush funds boiling people to death
    #2019687 - 10/18/03 01:22 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim December 10, 2002, as Human Rights Day; December 15, 2002, as Bill of Rights Day; and the week beginning December 10, 2002, as Human Rights Week. I call upon the people of the United States to honor the legacy of human rights passed down to us from previous generations and to resolve that such liberties will prevail in our Nation and throughout the world.

Ambassador accused after criticising US

The strange case of Britain's outspoken envoy in Uzbekistan, who was threatened with sack and faulted for shortcomings after upsetting Downing St

Britain's ambassador in Tashkent, who mysteriously returned to this country last month on temporary sick leave, was the victim of threats from Downing Street related to his outspoken views on US foreign policy in the run-up to the Iraq invasion.

A senior source said the former ambassador had been put under pressure to stop his repeated criticisms of the brutal Karimov regime, accused among other things of boiling prisoners to death. The source said the pressure was partly "exercised on the orders of No 10", which found his outspokenness about the compromises Washington was prepared to make in its "war on terror" increasingly embarrassing in the lead up to the Iraq war.

"He was told that the next time he stepped away from the American line, he would lose his post," said the source. During a visit earlier this year at the height of the political tensions prior to the Iraq invasion, the former development secretary, Clare Short, is reported to have said to him: "I love the job you are doing down here, but you know, don't you, that if I go, you go." She eventually resigned over the Iraq war.

Uzbekistan, a post-Soviet police state on the strategically important border with Afghanistan, was another potential political minefield. Uzbek security services use "torture as a routine investigation technique", according to the US State Department. But Washington's wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have led them to finance much of the regime's security apparatus. In exchange the US gets a military base in Khanabad as a centre for operations in Afghanistan. Last year Washington gave the government $500m (?298m) in aid, $79m of which was specifically for the same "law enforcement and security services" they accused of routine torture.

Mr Murray upset the regime of President Islam Karimov with his blunt remarks on torture. His comments also began to accentuate the differences in the Foreign Office's supposed ethical foreign policy and its support for US actions. In October last year at Freedom House, Mr Murray read a speech that had been cleared by the Foreign Office to the assembled dignitaries, including top Uzbek officials and the US ambassador.

He said: "We believe there to be between 7,000 and 10,000 people in detention whom we would consider as political and/or religious prisoners. No government has the right to use the war against terrorism as an excuse for the persecution of those with a deep personal commitment to the Islamic religion, and who pursue their views by peaceful means."

The UN secretary general, Kofi Annan, brought Mr Murray's hard-hitting speech up in a meeting with Mr Karimov. This was said to have incensed Mr Karimov. Mr Murray sent numerous reports to London about human rights abuses, and his dispatches became increasingly heated during the build-up to the Iraqi invasion. He argued Uzbekistan's human rights abuses were as bad as those being used as ammunition against Baghdad. Yet Washington was financing Uzbekistan, rather than invading it, he said.

He received many internal emails of support, and some of criticism. He became personally involved in exposing torture, commissioning a forensic report on the bodies of two political prisoners, Muzafar Avazov and Husnidin Alimov, which concluded they had probably been boiled to death.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/foreignaffairs/story/0,11538,1065839,00.html

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Bush funds boiling people to death [Re: Xlea321]
    #2019862 - 10/18/03 03:34 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

mmmmm.....poached evildoers....

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Bush funds boiling people to death [Re: afoaf]
    #2019910 - 10/18/03 04:14 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Colin Powell stated America's "steadfast commitment" to advancing internationally agreed human rights principles across the globe...

Gotta love that steadfast commitment to boiling people alive...

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
    #2019952 - 10/18/03 04:28 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Do they drop you in a vat of boiling water?

Maybe they put you in ice cold water, then raise the temp slowly...

Bush for boiling. Get tough on crime. Smoke a joint, go to boil.

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Bush funds boiling people to death [Re: carbonhoots]
    #2020053 - 10/18/03 05:57 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Bush's human rights in his WOT is a travesty, he'll be cold shouldered by a number of polys in his visit this week. Though PM Howard can't see a thing wrong about it. Howard doesn't mind slow boiling sheep by the tens of thousands either.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #2022782 - 10/19/03 02:01 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Im shocked...I cant believe the US would actively fund a regime with such a poor human rights record! Perhaps some of the righties could explain this strange phenomena to me?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: Bush funds boiling people to death [Re: GazzBut]
    #2023077 - 10/19/03 04:14 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe they are funding the lesser of two evils.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Bush funds boiling people to death [Re: pattern]
    #2023166 - 10/19/03 04:45 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

How do you work that one out?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Bush funds boiling people to death [Re: GazzBut]
    #2024119 - 10/19/03 10:48 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

ask luvdem, I'm sure he could explain.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Bush funds boiling people to death [Re: pattern]
    #2025133 - 10/20/03 10:39 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe they are funding the lesser of two evils.

Ah yes, that old chestnut  :grin:

Any of our right-wing colleagues care to comment? 

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
    #2025151 - 10/20/03 10:46 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I don't gree with funding regimes that clearly abuse human rights laws. Sadly a lot of these countries are important tactically or politically.

Or should we simply cease all trade and diplomacy with all "offending" nations?

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: Bush funds boiling people to death [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #2025592 - 10/20/03 12:51 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Isn't that the general idea behind Bush's little crusade? The War on Terror? Or do we do what we did with the drugs war and rename it to the War on (some) Terror?

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order