Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best spore printing tek [Re: bahamutdoom]
    #19965718 - 05/09/14 10:55 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

it works, your gonna wanna do some on foil though if ya ever wanna trade people

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best spore printing tek [Re: bahamutdoom]
    #19965726 - 05/09/14 10:58 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Making syringes from prints is risky but at least you can scrape from parts of the print that are going to have a better shot of being clean. Printing in a jar where you inject water will ensure that any contams that were present make it inside the syringe.

Fact is that when working with prints your best bet is to use agar.

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best spore printing tek [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #19965871 - 05/09/14 11:56 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Tell me this, fellow douche-nozzles.

Amidst all this talk of putting prints to agar, if you have a mushroom, and some agar, and a scalpel, why are you not just taking tissue clones?

I can only see spores being preferable if you have senescence kicking in or you need to re-roll your genetics for whatever reason.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

OfflineMonkeyJesusFresco
am i suspended in agar?
Male

Loc: South East USA Flag
Re: Best spore printing tek [Re: Inocuole]
    #19965880 - 05/09/14 11:59 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

many reasons for spore prints...what if you loose your master culture?

--------------------
LAGM v 2.024
- endo cabendo

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best spore printing tek [Re: MonkeyJesusFresco]
    #19965904 - 05/10/14 12:09 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Is there a reason other than that?  That's about the only one that makes sense that I can think of, other than what I mentioned previously.  Wouldn't just continually doing grain transfers ensure that you always have a master jar?

I know spore prints can last for years, I guess that's one upside.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola

OfflineMonkeyJesusFresco
am i suspended in agar?
Male

Re: Best spore printing tek [Re: invitro]
    #19965924 - 05/10/14 12:16 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

For trading purposes! and storage! and it's just good mycology really, plus they're so small, noth'n to it!

--------------------
LAGM v 2.024
- endo cabendo

OfflineMonkeyJesusFresco
am i suspended in agar?
Male

Re: Best spore printing tek [Re: invitro]
    #19965929 - 05/10/14 12:19 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

sidenote!

Quote:

invitro said:
365 I can see how you might think I am just being argumentative, but here is a quick explanation just incase this issue is still bothering you.  When I knew nothing I tried other people's teks without really thinking about it too much.  I ran into some very serious setbacks, taking even the most trusted advice from even the most trusted cultivators.  I live in a different part of the world (the tropics) than most people and that is one reason why some thing just don't work for me so everything has to go though hell and high water now before I can accept it.  I give zero credit for teks that are uber popular before I test them because some of them seriously will fail me and I'm not about to let that happen again.

I think that if you want the best you've got to put it all to the test, it's my take on things right now and it's not likely to change.
Hope that helps.

I think 36 has hidden this thread, so...fuck I guess I'll devil-advocate...

Quote:

The Devil says:
If you knew nothing then how do you know you did other people's teks correctly...blah...Living in the tropics has nothing to do with your failures blah blah blah it's your technique and lack of experience blah blah. Teks are uber popular for a reason blah blah we do things a certain way because they work blah blah blah...

:smirk: how'd I do?

--------------------
LAGM v 2.024
- endo cabendo

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19967184 - 05/10/14 10:46 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Inocuole said:
Tell me this, fellow douche-nozzles.

Amidst all this talk of putting prints to agar, if you have a mushroom, and some agar, and a scalpel, why are you not just taking tissue clones?

I can only see spores being preferable if you have senescence kicking in or you need to re-roll your genetics for whatever reason.

Not all clones perform the same. IME I will take 10 clones and end up keeping one. Once I have a decent cloned culture in a master slant, I still want to try and top it so I do isolations from spores in the hope of finding that one in 1000 strain.

Quote:

Inocuole said:
Is there a reason other than that?  That's about the only one that makes sense that I can think of, other than what I mentioned previously.  Wouldn't just continually doing grain transfers ensure that you always have a master jar?

I know spore prints can last for years, I guess that's one upside.

You can only G2G about 5 times before the culture degrades. You would use a master slant to keep tissue going. Prints are good because they preserve the varity, can be traded,  and allow you to search for specific traits. They are also the begining of any grow :lol:

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #19967227 - 05/10/14 11:01 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Is a culture with many different genetics any less susceptible to senescence or degradation?  Like, suppose you do absolutely no isolation, straight from spores.  That's still going to last just as long as an isolated strain for transfers?  Just trying to get information more than anything, I've grown for years and still never taken a spore print, didn't seem worthwhile until I started asking direct questions about it.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19967269 - 05/10/14 11:12 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Inocuole said:
Is a culture with many different genetics any less susceptible to senescence or degradation?  Like, suppose you do absolutely no isolation, straight from spores.  That's still going to last just as long as an isolated strain for transfers?  Just trying to get information more than anything, I've grown for years and still never taken a spore print, didn't seem worthwhile until I started asking direct questions about it.

Pretty much the same. There may be some minute differences but nothing that is going to allow you to preserve the genetics indefinitely. Plus the amount of expansion in grains is far greater than what you would see on a plate so there are more cell divisions working against you.

For people working with agar, spores are all about having the ability to select from an infinite gene pool. Usually when I get a new varity/species to play with my route goes; ms grow, clone, isolate, test isolates, keep best one. Then once I have time to waste and not worried about dud genetics then I will work on isolating from spores in the search for something truly unique or awesome.

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #19967293 - 05/10/14 11:17 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Would you say that keeping a very small master grain jar vs transferring from one batch to the next would help preserve the genetics just slightly longer?  It makes sense that that would help decrease the spore divisions taking place in the culture that I'm pulling from.  I think I have everything I need for  spore prints, I'm just not that confident with it yet.  I have the still air box, have some agar plates that I dropped colonized grains on, but don't really want to have to get more spores later on in the case of degradation.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19967326 - 05/10/14 11:26 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

While you could keep a culture alive in a grain master for quite some time, its a rather clumsy and bulky way to do it. The grain culture will get very hard to break up after more than a couple months in the fridge, and if you just try to G2G to keep the culture going, you will be expanding it a lot more than agar transfers. The best way to preserve a culture is a master slant, which is very small, lasts for a year or two before a transfer is needed, and with proper media rotation can keep your culture viable for decades.

If you just want inoculate and don't care about isolated genetics, a print makes more sense. Prints are very small, and last a long time. Its easy to make a prints, just be sure to use agar for your first inoculation. Agar is forgiving and will save you from any problems your print making tek might have caused.

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #19967379 - 05/10/14 11:41 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Sweet, that's pretty much what I got from the rest of the thread but there was a whole bunch of drama queen shit in here so I figured I'd clarify, perhaps add to the conversation.  Thanks.

Also lol@tropics causing teks to fail.

--------------------

Coir-ca-cola

Offlinemezzy jeb
Skywalker
 User Gallery

Re: Best spore printing tek [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #20218615 - 07/03/14 08:55 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
What you need to do is make a SAB. Take your roll of foil in there (after wiping the outside with alcohol) and rip off the first foot or so. Throw that away, it's touched open air and is dirty.

Not to be a smartass, but this doesn't make sense. You're recommending bringing dirty tinfoil into your SAB. Doesn't that just spread contaminates around?

I thought the idea of a SAB was to get everything inside, and everything wiped down with alcohol and then bringing nothing dirty in except sanitized gloved hands and flame sterilized stuff.

OfflineMonkeyJesusFresco
am i suspended in agar?
Male

Re: Best spore printing tek [Re: mezzy jeb]
    #20218649 - 07/03/14 09:06 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

no, the idead behind a Still Air Box is to keep the air still, so contams don't fall in; the only reason I/we blast SABs with lysol is to make ourselves feel better :shrug: does no real good. you do need sterile tools, however. gloved hands keep your nasty skin-flakes/contams from get'n in your work. on the other hand, a moist spraying of something like distilled water or water:bleach, there is a point there, the moisture settles and traps lots of contaminates that you could possibly "stir up" while working.

foil comes off a fresh roll sterile (the process for making foil is HOT one :wink: )

edit:

but don't get me wrong! If ya wanna spray/wipe/blow-torch suface areas and what not in your SAB, by all means do it, even if it's technically just making you feel better. No shit, I take the rings off my grain jars and blast around 'em with lysol. dun't know if it does anything, but it makes me feel better before handling them

Edited by MonkeyJesusFresco (07/03/14 09:09 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds