Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

just got my cacti...
    #2018770 - 10/17/03 06:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

three rooted 10 inch san pedros from bouncing bear. i'm amazed that they got here in as good condition as they did... now...

what do i do with them?

what do i need to be considering when i plant them? do i just repot, water, and let 'em do their thing, or are there some special considerations?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: just got my cacti... [Re: ]
    #2018874 - 10/17/03 07:24 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, pot them separately, one to a pot. The pots should be in the gallon range. I use azalea pots because being shallow they dry out quicker. Of course clay pots are best for the same reason. Yes again, just plant like any other plant, then let sit in shade a few days without wetting roots. Finally water after three days and then place in sun and let them go. They will take a year or so to really set in and grow, and them blammo, they'll take off. You can add some other ornamentals in the same pot like sanseveria, yucca, so on for beauty, and some rocks. For more on soils and such, just search this forum in recent days for a bunch of related topics.

--------------------
...or something

Anonymous

Re: just got my cacti... [Re: eve69]
    #2018900 - 10/17/03 07:35 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"without wetting roots"

?

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #2018957 - 10/17/03 07:56 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

you need to read about cacti, not to ask others to do that for you.
congrats, anyways!

FH

Edited by felixhigh (10/17/03 07:56 PM)

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: just got my cacti... [Re: felixhigh]
    #2019540 - 10/18/03 12:01 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Pardon me, felixhigh, but I have enjoyed reading your posts and you are by no means the first I have seen do this, but I really feel a need to address this situation.

I have seen many of you over the few months I have been here respond with comments to those who ask for help (Again, not specifically addressing you felixhigh, in fact, you helped me on more than one occasion  :smile:) by telling them that they should do their homework and do more reading.

Aren't message boards supposed to be an idea where people that share common interests can have a free exchange of ideas?  They allow quick access to a variety of information from people that could have a vast wealth of personal experience in these subjects.  The fact they can provide a (nearly) real time exchange of information, makes them one the most useful tools in learning a new subject.

I'm not saying research doesn't have its place, certainly any venture into learning something new should involve a concentrated effort that pools as many resources as neccessary for you to achieve your intended goal. 

But I am a pretty busy person, and wading through the MOUNTAINS of misinformation, disinformation, and other worthless junk, just doesn't appeal as much to me as jumping on here, explaining what it is I am trying to accomplish, and allow those who have already experienced the same things, or know where to direct me to find what I am looking for. 

I guess I am just ranting a little  :tongue:, and this is one of the better forums for this problem, so I may have been better addressed in one of the others, but I ran into  :spliff:, and this is where I landed.   

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Re: just got my cacti... [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2019764 - 10/18/03 02:03 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

hey hagbard, whats up?
i said that because i thought that would be the most helpful answer i could give.

FH

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
    #2020001 - 10/18/03 04:46 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
"without wetting roots"

?

Yeah, the cactus will live without water, and you don't want to shock them by wetting them down too much too soon. But with Trichos it doesn't matter. You can water them pretty often during the summer, but do always let the soil dry between waterings. I've read that for each inch of pot depth you should wait a week between waterings. But again it depends on soil drainage and amount of sun/heat in enviroment.

--------------------
...or something

OfflineCockyMandrill
addict

Re: just got my cacti... [Re: eve69]
    #2020108 - 10/18/03 07:03 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

If its the growing season, make sure to keep the soil nice and basic using dolmitic limestone. If the soil is basic, its really hard overwatering them so 1-2 times a week works great. The key is not to let the soil go acidic, they can't suck up the right nutrients then and you won't have healthy cacti, so try to use a potting mix without peat moss.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: just got my cacti... [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2020375 - 10/18/03 11:37 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I look at message boards like this, a venue for high level discussion, if you don't know the basics you can't be involved in higher level discussion and it becomes an annoyance to constantly answer the same questions over and over again that then distracts from your higher level discussion. If people would do a simple search or a quick browse through their bibles (erowid, lycaeum [pun intended]) they'd find the answers and could jump into the more involved discussions.

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Re: just got my cacti... [Re: neuro]
    #2020510 - 10/18/03 12:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

well put neuro!
it is strange how people have been discussing and rambling so much lately isn't it? i wonder what goes on, if people are picking less on their drugs or if it's the arrival of the aliens or just something like male PMS...

FH

Offlinemile69
wonderer/wanderer ૐ
 User Gallery

Loc: other side of the world
Re: just got my cacti... [Re: neuro]
    #2020825 - 10/18/03 03:23 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

defenately a good call nuero...thats why your a mod i guess.  good with words, as well as info :grin:

Anonymous

#2020911 - 10/18/03 04:04 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

ok... i'm gonna make my soil 60% sand and 40% potting soil.

i just got some sand from a construction site. it's sandbag sand. it's pretty coarse. does that sound good?

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: just got my cacti... [Re: felixhigh]
    #2020967 - 10/18/03 04:35 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe I was just in a bitchy mood, (I had ALOT of thing go wrong yesterday), and I certainly agree that answering the same question over and over is quite annoying (Even more so than posts where people bitch  :grin:)

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: just got my cacti... [Re: mile69]
    #2022607 - 10/19/03 12:38 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

*neuro

>>thats why your a mod i guess

i suppose..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds