Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetochiro
Stranger
casing conundrums
    #2020158 - 10/18/03 10:33 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hey folks,

I've got a couple casings. They've each got one half pint PF cake in them and are cased in plain verm. The casing layer was not as methodically applied as it should have been, so it is decidedly uneven. Mycelium has dutifully appeared here and there on the casing surface, but is primarily still the vermiculite. After the mycelium appeared the casings were cold shocked for 20 hours then placed in to the fuiting chamber. Right now there is one shroomie growing towards the edge on one of them.

I haven't been misting at all, as the humidity in the terrarium has been pretty high (which has surprisingly enough not resulted in any sort of overabundance of mycelial growth on top).

So, in wanting to actually yield a decent amount of mushrooms, what might I do to help these casings along? I'm not sure if using a clean instrument to evenly spread the casing layer around more is cool to do, since there is /a/ shroom growing towards the side. Should I be misting in spite of the humidity? and should the majority of the surface still be plain verm? What else should I know?

All help is very much appreciated ^_^

Photo included.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePsilopleix
Extended Symbol

Loc: aridzone1
Re: casing conundrums [Re: tochiro]
    #2020382 - 10/18/03 01:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

You havent been misting at all? Boo  :thumbdown:
get your mist on, the casing layer will love it, and the mycelium will too. However, try to avoid the pins, if any.
and next time you apply the casing layer stick it directly into the fruiting chamber. No need to incubate, the BRF that is cased is already colonized. Try to go for a 50/50 casing nextime as well... coir holds an amazing amount of water.
Goodluck, and dont raise your expectations too high. You'll just end up being dissapointed. Be happy if you get a few fruits, your substrate layer isnt that deep and your not doing bulk.  :cool:   

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation