Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Russia
Underwater Operations
    #2017883 - 10/17/03 02:35 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Underwater Operations

Police Find Sub Capable of Shipping 200 Tons of Cocaine

A Russian-designed submarine, being built to smuggle drugs out of Colombia, was confiscated by police on the outskirts of Bogota, authorities said. (Luis Ramirez/Reuters)

The Associated Press

F A C A T A T I V A, Colombia, Sept. 7 ? Police raiding a warehouse in this rural town stumbled upon a most unusual drug trafficking tool: A 100-foot-long, half-built submarine they say would have been able to ship up to 200 tons of cocaine below the ocean?s surface.
Colombian authorities displayed their find today, one day after they discovered it along with documents in Russian in this town a half-hour?s drive outside Bogota. Police and journalists crawled through the snub-nosed submarine?s three unattached reddish metal sections and gazed in wonder at its size and sophisticated design.
?It was between 30 and 40 percent completed and had its engine room ready,? Colombian National Police director Gen. Ernesto Gilibert told reporters. ?The technology is advanced and the workmanship of high quality.?
?Never Seen Anything Like This?
Colombian traffickers have used smaller, simpler ?mini-subs? on at least two occasions in the past, Gilibert said. But even seasoned anti-drug officials said they were stunned by the vessel discovered here.
?In 32 years I?ve never seen anything like this,? Leo Arreguin, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration director in Colombia, told reporters.
?This is huge,? he said. ?We?re talking about being able to load up to 200 tons of cocaine in this submarine.?
The submarine?s discovery marks a new chapter in innovation for Colombia?s ingenious drug cartels, which have previously used refitted commercial airliners and ocean-going freighters to ship cocaine to the United States and other parts of the world.
The simple brick warehouse, complete with closed-circuit television monitors, was empty at the time of the raid.
It was strewn with workbenches, power-tools and gas canisters used for welding. No-smoking signs hung on the walls. Tools left haphazardly on shelves in the submarine?s midsection suggested that workers had made a hasty getaway.

American Ties?
Arreguin said documents discovered at the site indicate not only probable Russian ties to the submarine but that two Americans may have also been involved. He did not elaborate on the possible U.S. connection. No arrests had been made.
Facatativa is in located roughly 7,500 feet above sea level in Colombia?s eastern Andean region.
?We think they were going to send it to the coast by truck in these three sections,? said National Police Sgt. Samuel Alvarez. ?The computerized navigation system was probably being built elsewhere.?
Colombia exports 90 percent of the world?s cocaine and is a growing heroin supplier. Traffickers have become increasingly expert at getting the drugs past intense air, sea and land interdiction efforts.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Underwater Operations [Re: TinMan]
    #2017958 - 10/17/03 03:05 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

I am pretty sure that read this story a few years ago.

Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: Underwater Operations [Re: Seuss]
    #2018068 - 10/17/03 03:46 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

See movie :
The In-Laws :smile:

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Loc: Russia
Re: Underwater Operations [Re: Seuss]
    #2019112 - 10/17/03 11:04 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Its actually 2 years old!

Re: Underwater Operations [Re: TinMan]
    #2023529 - 10/19/03 09:12 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

when did building submarines become illegal?

creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Underwater Operations [Re: ]
    #2031067 - 10/22/03 01:31 AM (13 years, 3 days ago)

>> when did building submarines become illegal?

We're talking about columbia here.

Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service