Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator, Petri Dish, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineVertigo
Mycovoire
Loc: Panhandle
Herb oils
    #2014863 - 10/16/03 04:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

A while back someone posted about the antibacterial properties of herb oils. The idea was that garlic oil for ex. would inhibit like 95% of contams but still let the mycelium thrive. Has anyone found out more about this or tried it?

--------------------
"One side will make you grow taller, and the other side will make you grow shorter."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Herb oils [Re: Vertigo]
    #2015854 - 10/16/03 08:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Lol, good idea. I think I've read some stuff about garlic oil being used as a bacteriostatic. Maybe in petri dishes?

I don't think I've read anything about its use an an antifungal.

Go for it -- we'd all love for you to experiment. If you're just having problems, however, there's always peroxide, but, by all means, try the stuff out.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Invisibledoktor_alternate
card-carryingAmateurMycologistsAnonymous member
Loc: vancouver
Re: Herb oils [Re: micro]
    #2016073 - 10/16/03 09:38 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

mmmmmmm. mushrooms sauteed in garlic and oil! now im all hungry!

gotta ref. for this vertigo? i remember reading about this on some board, though i cant for-the-life-of-me remember if it was here or at the-hive.ws? basil oil and oregano oil were supposed to work too...
though i dont remember which herbs it was exactly. (some of the herb oils mentioned were pure chemical precursors to various methoxy and methylenedioxy analogues of phenethylamine... but thats a little off-topic i suppose)

Offlineschorts
a lot more and alittle less.

Loc: (roughly) portland, OR
Re: Herb oils [Re: doktor_alternate]
    #2016361 - 10/16/03 11:07 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

onions would also probibly work, they have some amazing antimicrobial properties. if you cut open an onion and leave it open in your fridge, it will not grow mold until the tissue either completely dehydrates or is left in standing water. in the case of standing water, i think the problem is the solubility of the various sugars and such that end up seporating from the chemicals that prevent growth.

in any case, yes, onions can contaminate more so than what I said, but put that in next to something simmilar and it will be fuzzy in two days.

~just my two cents.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Re: Herb oils [Re: schorts]
    #2017428 - 10/17/03 09:56 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

An onion is a pretty caustic environment. I don't think too many things can live in an onion.

Basil and Wasabi extracts are supposed to work well, too:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2981114.stm

You might need to actually extract these compounds, though -- I don't know.

--
Micro

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Herb oils [Re: micro]
    #2020087 - 10/18/03 08:30 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

We have quite a thread over at mycotopia about Banrot 40 WP. If you soak your grain or popcorn for two days in a mixture of one teaspoon per gallon of water to hydrate the grain before pc'ing, trich will not grow on that grain, but live mycelia will not be hampered. I even left a jar open for half an hour, exposed to normal room air after it had been soaked in the banrot, then sterilized. It never contaminated, yet when inoculated with live mycelia, it grew normally. Spores won't germinate on grain that has been treated with the Banrot. That includes mushroom and trich. Another big problem in mushroom cultivation is bacteria. I haven't tried onion or garlic yet, but they're both on the list. I'm also wondering if one could soak the grain in antibacterial soap before going into the pc. I've noticed most dish soap now days says it's 'antibacterial'. If it works, it's a matter of finding the amount of soap that the live mycelia can withstand, but the bacteria can not.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineFormulaWS6Hottie
newbie girl
Re: Herb oils [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #2020177 - 10/18/03 10:53 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
Having a positive attitude is a necessity for mental health!

Invisiblezdude
zdude
Re: Herb oils [Re: FormulaWS6Hottie]
    #2020933 - 10/18/03 06:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

um soap will not work as soap works by making grime dirt and germz easyer for water to remove.the soap moliqle is shaped a bit like sperm in that it has a head and a tail the tail is attracted to dirt,oil ect and the head is attracted to water so when u lather up on ur body you remove the gunge on your body but with anti batiral soap it has a chemicle in it withc is rather nasty that basicly needs the above to happen to remove the germs and most antbatiral soap basicly has exsactly the same stuff in it as most other soaps ( mayb it will have a little extra sls(sodum lural sufate foaming agent)or mayb a few presevitives) but for your uses it wold not work and problay will encurage contams as it will provide a envioment witch will feed and hide most germs/spor. zorry for the spelink (i suffer form dislexa) i have been soap making for about 7 years and speek dayly thru foums simmar to this with ppl whome have been soap making 3-4 generatons.

thanks

zdude

" I'm also wondering if one could soak the grain in antibacterial soap before going into the pc. I've noticed most dish soap now days says it's 'antibacterial'. If it works, it's a matter of finding the amount of soap that the live mycelia can withstand, but the bacteria can not. "

OfflineVertigo
Mycovoire
Loc: Panhandle
Re: Herb oils [Re: zdude]
    #2021102 - 10/18/03 07:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Excellent links! Shrooms to you!!!!

--------------------
"One side will make you grow taller, and the other side will make you grow shorter."

Re: Herb oils [Re: Vertigo]
    #2021164 - 10/18/03 08:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Different kinds of Topical Antibiotics kill different kinds of bacteria. Many antibiotic first-aid products contain combinations of antibiotics to make them effective against a broad range of bacteria.

Some topical antibiotics are available without a prescription and are sold in many forms, including creams, ointments, powders, and sprays. Some widely used topical antibiotics are Bacitracin, Neomycin, Mupirocin and Polymyxin B. Among the products that contain one or more of these ingredients are Bactroban (a prescription item), Neosporin, Polysporin, and Triple antibiotic Ointment or Cream.

http://www.pharmaceutical-drug-manufacturers.com/pharmaceutical-drugs/topical-antibiotic.html

An antibiotic spray should be available OTC from like safeway or whatever...

For a mycological application, the sprays are likely the best though youll have to check if your particular cocktail of antibac. drugs have any that are heat-sensetive. I would venture to postulate that most of your larger multicyclic drugs are somewhat heat and light sensetive, therefore they should probably be applied by syringe after PCing and cooling, but long enough before innoculation for the carrier alcohol fluid to evaporate.

If using rye/grain as your substrate then this would be effective, as you could shake to distribute the drugs and alcohol. This would mean that innoculation could follow the drugging fairly quickly. Im not sure how effective this technique would be if using brfV.

The spray could also be applied to the top of a sterilised casing layer, or to the surface of any exposed substrate.

just a thought....

#2021579 - 10/19/03 12:14 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

if you really want though, you could get authentic antibacterial drugs in pure crystaline form from a chem supplier for "your amateur soap making scheme". ill bet you could get them online for this purpose from some soap supply supplier too...

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

#2023011 - 10/19/03 05:45 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

.... or you could get some tetracycline from a pet store -- I think it's used for fish, too.

--
Micro

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator, Petri Dish, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology