Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDirtyTomFlint
( ಥـْـِـِـِـْಥ)
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: United Kingdom Flag
So, GM Foods..
    #20140663 - 06/16/14 05:13 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I don't get it. Are they safe to eat or not?

Hasn't the scientific consensus been that GM foods have always been safe to eat? I really hope I'm wrong and ignorant on this one, otherwise there really are a ridiculous amount of ongoing idiots opposing GM foods.

--------------------

Know Your Body, Know Your Mind, Know Your Substance, Know Your Source

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKremrBigSikter
Spränger Språnger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So, GM Foods.. [Re: DirtyTomFlint]
    #20140692 - 06/16/14 05:21 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

There are other issues with them, but if you're just thinking of food safety then yes, they're the same as non-GM.

--------------------
I have pneumonia :pm:

Invisibleshadyy
aHhahhHA
 User Gallery

Loc: winchestertonfieldville i...
Re: So, GM Foods.. [Re: DirtyTomFlint] * 2
    #20140708 - 06/16/14 05:25 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

GMOs?

Quote:

Most developed nations do not consider GMOs to be safe. In more than 60 countries around the world, including Australia, Japan, and all of the countries in the European Union, there are significant restrictions or outright bans on the production and sale of GMOs. In the U.S., the government has approved GMOs based on studies conducted by the same corporations that created them and profit from their sale.

Meanwhile, a growing body of evidence connects GMOs with health problems, environmental damage and violation of farmers’ and consumers’ rights.

In the words of Dr. Andrew Kimbrell, Head of the Center of Food Safety in Washington, GMO foods “offer no benefits, no more nutrition, no more flavor, no nothing; they only offer risks.”

--------------------

ga ga ga eets eets how you gone be mad on vacation?
MONICA COULDN'T TELL TIME UNTIL SHE WAS 13

Offlinehealing
Strangest
Female

Loc: the universe, the milky w...
Re: So, GM Foods.. [Re: shadyy]
    #20140809 - 06/16/14 05:52 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

GMOs are also paving the way for the licensing of genetic code. Monsanto uses its massive economic power to force farmers into using their genetics, then forces them to pay for it. I doubt they're going to stop once they've had their way with corn. Your food, your dog, your family, all made possible by the good people of Monsanto. Thank you, Monsanto.

--------------------
Open mind, open heart, open book.

Edited by healing (06/16/14 05:56 PM)

OfflineDangerZone
Stranger

#20140822 - 06/16/14 05:55 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Meh, all that needs to happen is labeling, and then let the market speak for itself.

OfflineEpistrophy
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So, GM Foods.. [Re: healing]
    #20140824 - 06/16/14 05:56 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

We've been eating them since we were kids so you could say yes, but in my opinion its more of a matter of ethics.
Is it wrong to alter nature? Also they're not as healthy as regular food

Offlinehealing
Strangest
Female

Re: So, GM Foods.. [Re: DangerZone]
    #20140832 - 06/16/14 05:58 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DangerZone said:
Meh, all that needs to happen is labeling, and then let the market speak for itself.

Like how cigarettes are marketed to children? Does the cancer speak for itself?

--------------------

OfflineDirtyTomFlint
( ಥـْـِـِـِـْಥ)
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: United Kingdom Flag
Re: So, GM Foods.. [Re: Epistrophy]
    #20140838 - 06/16/14 06:00 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I'm talking specifically about health.

Quote:

KremrBigSikter said:
if you're just thinking of food safety then yes, they're the same as non-GM.

Quote:

Epistrophy said:
Also they're not as healthy as regular food

Which one is it?

--------------------

Know Your Body, Know Your Mind, Know Your Substance, Know Your Source

OfflineDangerZone
Stranger

#20140853 - 06/16/14 06:04 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Epistrophy said:
We've been eating them since we were kids so you could say yes, but in my opinion its more of a matter of ethics.

Wrong to alter nature? Where do you think domesticated animals came from? Almost all of the fruits and vegetables we consume now have been selectively bred for various traits since cultivation first began.

Quote:

healing said:
Quote:

DangerZone said:

Like how cigarettes are marketed to children? Does the cancer speak for itself?

I suppose you're going to compare cartoon violence to this situation next?

If the general population wishes to continue buying foods labeled G.M. and hazard the potential problems, that's their decision. If the general population chooses not to buy into it, and it becomes more profitable to simply produce foods with non G.M.O. then it will be so.

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
 User Gallery

Re: So, GM Foods.. [Re: healing] * 1
    #20140904 - 06/16/14 06:14 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DatIslandLife said:

Hasn't the scientific consensus been that GM foods have always been safe to eat? I really hope I'm wrong and ignorant on this one, otherwise there really are a ridiculous amount of ongoing idiots opposing GM foods.

Yes. GMO is not something scary or bad. The current foods that have been approved for human consumption are safe. The objections to them always come from a result of ignorance of how GMOs are made, and the science behind them. I was wary of GMOs when I was younger, but I did my research and came to the conclusion that the science is sound and there isn't anything to worry about. Someone could potentially make a GMO that was harmful as GM is simply a science of doing something. But the current ones are fine.

Quote:

healing said:
GMOs are also paving the way for the licensing of genetic code. Monsanto uses its massive economic power to force farmers into using their genetics, then forces them to pay for it. I doubt they're going to stop once they've had their way with corn. Your food, your dog, your family, all made possible by the good people of Monsanto. Thank you, Monsanto.

What do you think hybrids do?.. .People who make this claim always conveniently forget about hybrids.
Hybrids are one time seeds (can't save the seeds, it doesn't work) which you have to buy from the company that made them. One time seeds have been around for forever.
And stop with the scaremongering. "Won't you please think of the children!!!!"

--------------------
Yes this is tymo - I just changed my name

Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to awake from that dream? How would you know the difference between that dream world and the real world?

There is NOTHING better than feeling that warm dissociative fuzz creeping up your body from IM K
Something abut that anaesthetic rush... :inlove:

Qualitative Research Chemical Effects and Experiences
The Wonderful World of Methoxetamine
The 3-Meo-PCP Chapters, Part One

Offlinehealing
Strangest
Female

Re: So, GM Foods.. [Re: DangerZone] * 2
    #20140914 - 06/16/14 06:15 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

What if they don't have a choice? Like the farmers that don't have the choice of buying non GMO seeds.

What if all of the people with all of the choices of what crops to grow or what cattle to raise are forced by multinational corporations into using only the genetics that the corporation have patented? Then the farmers don't get to choose and the people who eat the food won't get to choose, and eventually everyone will forget that they are being sold toxic food and accept the declining life expectancy rate that has already begun to rear its ugly head.

That's just the beginning. Do you want to have to pay a subscription fee for for parts of your body?

--------------------

Offlinehealing
Strangest
Female

Re: So, GM Foods.. [Re: Cyclohexylamine]
    #20140923 - 06/16/14 06:16 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tymoteusz3 said:
Quote:

DatIslandLife said:

Yes. GMO is not something scary or bad. The current foods that have been approved for human consumption are safe. The objections to them always come from a result of ignorance of how GMOs are made, and the science behind them. I was wary of GMOs when I was younger, but I did my research and came to the conclusion that the science is sound and there isn't anything to worry about. Someone could potentially make a GMO that was harmful as GM is simply a science of doing something. But the current ones are fine.

Quote:

healing said:

What do you think hybrids do?.. .People who make this claim always conveniently forget about hybrids.
Hybrids are one time seeds (can't save the seeds, it doesn't work) which you have to buy from the company that made them. One time seeds have been around for forever.
And stop with the scaremongering. "Won't you please think of the children!!!!"

I wasn't talking about children, simply using them as an example.

I'm saying that you're going to have to buy the genetics you use to produce your children.

--------------------

OfflineDangerZone
Stranger

#20140933 - 06/16/14 06:19 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

healing said:
What if they don't have a choice? Like the farmers that don't have the choice of buying non GMO seeds.

What if all of the people with all of the choices of what crops to grow or what cattle to raise are forced by multinational corporations into using only the genetics that the corporation have patented? Then the farmers don't get to choose and the people who eat the food won't get to choose, and eventually everyone will forget that they are being sold toxic food and accept the declining life expectancy rate that has already begun to rear its ugly head.

That's just the beginning. Do you want to have to pay a subscription fee for for parts of your body?

Show me these farmers that don't have this choice.

What if I poop gold nuggets and buy an island near Belize and make it mandatory for everyone to wear birthday hats and sing?

Offlinehealing
Strangest
Female

Re: So, GM Foods.. [Re: DangerZone]
    #20140959 - 06/16/14 06:22 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Just google, dude. It's all over the place. Documentaries, news articles and what have you. It went to the supreme court, lol.

You're being willfully ignorant, or feigning technological illiteracy.

--------------------

Invisibleshadyy
aHhahhHA
 User Gallery

Re: So, GM Foods.. *DELETED* [Re: DirtyTomFlint]
    #20140960 - 06/16/14 06:23 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by boner soup

Reason for deletion: If you are sure you want to do this, click the button below. Reason for deleting?

OfflineDangerZone
Stranger

#20140985 - 06/16/14 06:30 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

healing said:
Just google, dude. It's all over the place. Documentaries, news articles and what have you. It went to the supreme court, lol.

You're being willfully ignorant, or feigning technological illiteracy.

You're trying to make a point and have provided nothing except hypothetical, imaginary, and 'what if?' scenarios and just want people to bobble their heads and agree with you.

It's possible that they're harmful to consume, but not likely, either way the only extra action I think needs to be taken is proper labeling of food products containing G.M.O. so that people can make their own informed decision.

Invisibleshadyy
aHhahhHA
 User Gallery

Re: So, GM Foods.. *DELETED* [Re: shadyy]
    #20140999 - 06/16/14 06:32 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Reason for deletion: If you are sure you want to do this, click the button below. Reason for deleting?

Invisibleshadyy
aHhahhHA
 User Gallery

Re: So, GM Foods.. *DELETED* [Re: shadyy]
    #20141017 - 06/16/14 06:37 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineEpistrophy
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20141030 - 06/16/14 06:40 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DangerZone said:
Quote:

Epistrophy said:

Wrong to alter nature? Where do you think domesticated animals came from? Almost all of the fruits and vegetables we consume now have been selectively bred for various traits since cultivation first began.

I'm talking about putting a seed under a microscope and genetically altering their makeup to grow faster and be more fruitful.
The domestication of animals is not entirely a genetic thing, and when it is I strongly disagree with it. That's why I'm a veggi m8
I think its wrong to alter a plant to make more money

Offlineflickedbic
Sojourner
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fractalic Fabric
    #20141032 - 06/16/14 06:41 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

How many times did the dude say "shill" and "death sentence" to her  :ducklol:

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/posts/gmo-health-dangers/

More funnies: The animals won't eat it if they have a choice.
Quote:

the farmer who said that his cattle broke through an old fence and ate down the non-GMO hybrids but wouldn’t touch the Round-up ready corn, and as a matter of fact “They had to walk through the GMOs to get to the (...)the other side.”

http://organicconsumers.org/ge/shun121703.cfm

Also:

--------------------
Favorite entheogen experiences in descending order:
1)Combo of oral DMT + smoked Bufotenine
2)Amanita (urine drank twice)
3)Mushrooms > Achuma 16"+cid(still need higher dose Achuma)> Cid (still need high dose)
4)Morning Glory-HBWR (+cumin, cinnamon aldehyde adducts) > Methyl chavicol (need more activators)
5)Salvia (need to try quid)

All readable matter in the above post is ficticious... any similarities to real life are purely coincidental.

Blessing.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order