Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineChopperDave
Learning Guitar
    #2011648 - 10/15/03 03:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Its my birthday friday, and Im probably going to receive anywhere from $200 to $300 from my family. $50 to $60 is going towards construction of a PMP and other supplies im running out of, but with the rest I have left over im considering buying a guitar. Im really interested in playing acoustic, as my favorite artist (conor oberst) plays that exclusivly. I see acoustic guitars for sale at the marts, and best buy for around $60. Would those be OK to learn on? I also dont want to invest too much into it incase I dont get the hang of it. While were on the topic, I heard from a few people that if you play video games, you learn guitar easier, because of the hand-eye co-ordination. Myth?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: ChopperDave]
    #2011690 - 10/15/03 03:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

ehhh, i dunno about that video game deal. if youve played any type of music instrument before it will help you learn because all music is essentially from the same notes. cheap guitars dont sound nearly as good as a more expensive guitar. i wouldnt buy a guitar from any discount store, just go to a music store, they still have cheap ones that sound good. all i can suggest is to practice, practice, and more practice. dont think of it like a chore, just fiddle around with it, and if it sounds good do it. there is no right or wrong in music really, its all subjective.

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

#2011848 - 10/15/03 04:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I would stay away from the extremely cheap guitars and go for one of the lower end models at a real guitar shop.

That guitar on the infomercial for $99 would probably be ok too. As long as the thing can stay in tune and sounds decent it's all good.

Offlineclam_dude
stranger in astrange land

Loc: twilight zone
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: slime_R]
    #2011889 - 10/15/03 04:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yah, if you're worried about not playing it, you probably won't want to play a $60 guitar anyways. Try renting a guitar or maybe borrowing one from a friend. Then, if you want one, they start at around $200 to $250 for something that has properly aligned frets and that you will want to play.

But for sure, it takes a while to get you're fingers strong enough and stuff, but its real fun once you get some chords down.

--------------------
"I would like to thank god for making me an atheist" - Ricky Gervais

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #2012698 - 10/15/03 08:00 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I suggest a lower end Yamaha because the neck can be adjusted..
Dont even think about buying one that doesnt have a adjustable neck :crazy: If you do it will be a El Kabong guitar ..
My first real guitar was a Yamahe FG 110 and i had a ball with it.. I strung that bitch every which way including nylons :wink:...I even thought i would be the second coming of Willie Nelson.....Needless to say that didnt happen and i had to go to work the next day :frown:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: OldSpice]
    #2013104 - 10/15/03 10:33 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

lern the bass man
its fun

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Learning Guitar [Re: notapillow]
    #2013125 - 10/15/03 10:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i also recommend a cheap yamaha. My buddy picked one up for around 100$ and it plays fairly nice. Make sure you get a steel string. You'll be dissapointed with a classical (nylon string), as the cheap ones are easy to out grow, and the nice ones will run you close to a grand. =O I tought myself how to play guitar and i have been playing close to 9 years now. everytime i pick up my guitar i learn something new. Just open your ears. You'll learn more from making a chord by listening to each note, than by reading one out of a book. Good luck...it is a life long hobby that never gets old.

~J-Slice~

Offlinefirstrays
Title? We don'need nosteeenkingtitle!
Male

Loc: TX
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: ]
    #2013325 - 10/15/03 11:40 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

There are plenty of cheap, yet playable acustics out there... if you buy a $60 guitar, you'll get a particle board box and some metal strings that will sound like complete shit... probably prompting you to quit before you start.

A few brands to look for:
Yamaha
Montoya
Fender (or their cheaper line, Squire)
Washburn
Epiphone (made by Gibson)
Dean
Jasmine (made by Takamine)

--------------------
Everybody knows you love me baby, everybody knows that you really do. Everybody knows that you've been faithfull, awww, give or take a night or two.

OfflineBrugman
antisobrietarian
Male

Loc: the land up over Flag
    #2013395 - 10/16/03 12:03 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Taking up guitar is probably the best idea of my life so far.
I love guitar.. I love music.

I got a pretty decent Yamaha guitar about 3 years back, with an amp, for free. I still have the same guitar, but I need a new one badly. Come to think of it, I need an acoustic, too. I'm borrowing my friends.

So yes, do it, take up guitar!

InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #2013438 - 10/16/03 12:24 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

notapillow said:
lern the bass man
its fun

no don't learn the bass, you'll love guitar better trust me. The bass is just to easy to play and is not really a challenge. I have been playing the guitar for about 4 years and im still going strong. In fact I just bought my first Marshall full cabinet which sounds like heaven. All I have to say is just practice you might actually love it.

OfflineSizzlinJ
walter crunkite

Loc: in miami where aint shit ...
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: firstrays]
    #2014628 - 10/16/03 01:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

all of these brands suck too... a real guitarist wouldn't recommend someone learns on a shitty guitar. Go to a music store and try out all the guitars in your price range and choose the one that fits you best, the one you're most comfortable with and is the cleanest playing.

--------------------

G2 nigga
we runnin' miami

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
    #2015348 - 10/16/03 04:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I started the guitar a while ago.  Right now I'm playing an Ibanez acoustic, solid top, and mahogany sides :smile:  A decent guitar for $180.

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #2015434 - 10/16/03 04:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I started on guitar originally although I have developed into a bass player over the last year and a half (our band needed a bassist and the other guitarist was way better than me so I became the bass player by default)

I also would reccomend buying a decent instrument, but that doesn't have to mean expensive. My first guitar was given to me by my wife. It is an off-brand, nylon-string, low-end instrument that she got for less than 100 bucks. But she did have the sense to go to a music store to purchase it and ask a few questions. Still to this day I play on it. But now when I am not playing my bass I mostly play my 12-string (Fender acoustic/electric). But anytime I want to work out a song on the guitar I pick up my old beater. By any musicians standards it is not a great instrument but it stays in tune, sounds OK, and it is easy to play. As long as you can get those qualities out of a guitar you shouldn't have any problems.

Also, I hear a lot of people say "do-it-yourself" but I would suggest a beginners guitar class if you have the means. It helped me a lot when I was beginning (I took one at a local community college). Its an easy way to learn basic scales and chords and music theory. And you can also learn a bit about chord structure and how to build chords, depending on the class. Once you have learned those basic skills it is a lot easier to go it alone.

Most of all; just play, play, play! I never thought of it as 'practice'. That just sounds boring. Learn to play songs you like then sit around and jam and have fun. Before you know it you'll be calling yourself a guitarist!

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: Learning Guitar [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #2015552 - 10/16/03 05:08 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

adjustable neck! tell em you want one with a truss rod! spend at least 150 bucks and get something that sounds nice! GO to music stores not walmart. Go to vintage guitar shops and talk to the owners they wont push crappy stuff like a music store guy will. No lessons no books no scales. just play it till you rock it! have fun mang instruments are the best investment you will ever make! peace.

--------------------

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: Learning Guitar [Re: simplemachine]
    #2015564 - 10/16/03 05:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Osker246 if bass is too easy for you, your not fucking playing it right!!

--------------------

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Osker246]
    #2015583 - 10/16/03 05:22 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

no don't learn the bass, you'll love guitar better trust me. The bass is just to easy to play and is not really a challenge. I have been playing the guitar for about 4 years and im still going strong. In fact I just bought my first Marshall full cabinet which sounds like heaven. All I have to say is just practice you might actually love it,and im gay 

hey!!!
:razz:
dont insult my muse
and its ok to be gay :laugh: 

--------------------

InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #2015640 - 10/16/03 05:39 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Haha sorry pillow I just started to express how I felt about bass. Also Machine how the fuck do you know im not playing it right? Do you know me? Do you know anything about my musical skills? No, so shut the fuck up. Thank you.

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Osker246]
    #2018578 - 10/17/03 05:46 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

At 45 am I too old to learn, I would love to play!

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Ripple]
    #2018670 - 10/17/03 06:24 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i thought you have a band ripple

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Ripple]
    #2018983 - 10/17/03 08:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Ripple you only need a few years to get going. You should get the book "The Complete Blues & Ragtime Guitar Player" and I'll teach you some songs out of it. Right I know some songs you've liked and thats the way to start learning them.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder